2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stick Gylfi gets on here is baffling. I keep hearing “he’s not a top 4-5 player”....well guess what, none of our team are currently. Can’t stand them lot across the Park but what they do infinitely better than us is support their players instead of ripping the backside out of them.
If you don’t think Gylfi’s a very good footballer maybe you should take up crotchet or something.
I still see Siguardsson’s price tag as being the main hinderance to him being accepted by some of our fanbase. Yes I expect more from him, as I do every single Everton player. However his stats last season (goals and assists) suggest he definately offers something to this team, he just needs to do it on a more consistent basis.

The stick Gylfi gets on here is baffling. I keep hearing “he’s not a top 4-5 player”....well guess what, none of our team are currently. Can’t stand them lot across the Park but what they do infinitely better than us is support their players instead of ripping the backside out of them.
If you don’t think Gylfi’s a very good footballer maybe you should take up crotchet or something.
giphy.gif

I like how anytime someone points out the flaws in a player who is a major part of the 8th best team in the league it's a sign that they don't understand the sport and should just leave. You can support the team every weekend and discuss players honestly during the week.

To be honest he is due end product next game. On the other hand he could and should easily be on 1 goal and 2 assists. This sort of inconsistency was apparent last year and needs to be corrected early on this year.

He had more shots than any other player last season and has had most this season apart from richarlison (1 less). Your comment about him not taking shots is baffling, particularly when you look at some of the goals he’s scored from distance for us when he could’ve easily passed. Bernard is the player who looks for passes instead of taking on shots.

To be honest, I don't think we shoot enough from good positions as it is, a problem we have had for years under different managers to be fair. The fact he had more shots than anyone doesn't prove anything, because it's not the shots he takes that are the problem. And who else would be shooting more than him? Gueye? Gomes? You already pointed out Bernard doesn't shoot enough, but he doesn't have the kind of shooting ability Sigurdsson has. I would argue noone in the team does. I mean, this is his 3rd season here now. He still hasn't scored a free kick. I'd be hard pushed to remember 1 he has hit the target with.

Also, the number of shots he has had will most likely correlate with the fact he must have played more games and had more minutes than pretty much every player in the team as well, certainly in an attacking role.

It's all the more frustrating when he does shoot and scores from all kinds of ridiculous places. He just doesn't do it enough for me. On Saturday, he had a chance in front of the Park End that he instead tried to lay off for Calvert Lewin, who had to turn a defender to shoot (and seemed to be fouled in my opinion, but the ref was having none of it). Its those type of chances I'm referring to, when you just want a player to take responsibility, in the way Lampard or even the other horrible b*stard from across the park used to do, and invariably, they would score.

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion obviously, as am I, and for me, he just doesn't do enough, whether he cost £45m or not. Rightly or wrongly, I expect more from someone with his undoubted ability and skillset.

To be honest, I don't think we shoot enough from good positions as it is, a problem we have had for years under different managers to be fair. The fact he had more shots than anyone doesn't prove anything, because it's not the shots he takes that are the problem. And who else would be shooting more than him? Gueye? Gomes? You already pointed out Bernard doesn't shoot enough, but he doesn't have the kind of shooting ability Sigurdsson has. I would argue noone in the team does. I mean, this is his 3rd season here now. He still hasn't scored a free kick. I'd be hard pushed to remember 1 he has hit the target with.

Also, the number of shots he has had will most likely correlate with the fact he must have played more games and had more minutes than pretty much every player in the team as well, certainly in an attacking role.

It's all the more frustrating when he does shoot and scores from all kinds of ridiculous places. He just doesn't do it enough for me. On Saturday, he had a chance in front of the Park End that he instead tried to lay off for Calvert Lewin, who had to turn a defender to shoot (and seemed to be fouled in my opinion, but the ref was having none of it). Its those type of chances I'm referring to, when you just want a player to take responsibility, in the way Lampard or even the other horrible b*stard from across the park used to do, and invariably, they would score.

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion obviously, as am I, and for me, he just doesn't do enough, whether he cost £45m or not. Rightly or wrongly, I expect more from someone with his undoubted ability and skillset.

Funny thing is, the way fees are going we could get close to our money back i think...

30 years old in 2.5 weeks and ideal time to sell in Jan or summer if we want to reinvest in younger, better players.

I still see Siguardsson’s price tag as being the main hinderance to him being accepted by some of our fanbase. Yes I expect more from him, as I do every single Everton player. However his stats last season (goals and assists) suggest he definately offers something to this team, he just needs to do it on a more consistent basis.

Agreed, in addition to which what the "assists" stats that so many on here set there stall out on, don't show is the number of times he creates clear goal scoring opportunities and is consistently let down by extremely bad/rubbish finishing from the others - no names etc! This was very evident last season and has already shown itself this year in just the two games played!

Fingers crossed Moise Kean gets up to speed and some decent game time soon!

To be honest he is due end product next game. On the other hand he could and should easily be on 1 goal and 2 assists. This sort of inconsistency was apparent last year and needs to be corrected early on this year.
Phil that makes no sense.

If he could be on 1 or 2 assists easily, given the chances that we've missed so far, how is HE being inconsistent? He can't assist himself can he?

I just feel he should play slightly deeper, seems to be the furthest forward player half the time. A yard or two deeper and he would see more of the ball and be able to effect games more consistently IMO. I realise we may lose his poachers goals, but his greater effect on the game could create better chances for himself and others.

I just feel he should play slightly deeper, seems to be the furthest forward player half the time. A yard or two deeper and he would see more of the ball and be able to effect games more consistently IMO. I realise we may lose his poachers goals, but his greater effect on the game could create better chances for himself and others.

I think we could see him drop back a bit now we’ve got an actual striker in the team who is capable of being the focus of our attacks.

I think we could see him drop back a bit now we’ve got an actual striker in the team who is capable of being the focus of our attacks.
You'd have to expect that the plan is now to get the most out of Kean, so I think there'll be a bit of pressure on the attacking midfielders to show that they're able to complement him.

I'm not sure where Sigurdsson would have fitted if Doucoure had arrived, and I wonder if this could end up being his last season here if Silva's position is still strong come the summer.

He hasn't had a good start to the season and was poor in pre season... but he was not the only one.

As long as results are going well players will be allowed to play themselves into form, the pressure comes on the manager to take out non performing players if points are dropped.

In the longer term I think Gylfi may struggle to stay in the team because I think largely because of his lack of pace. As long as he is scoring goals he will be hard to drop, but it is hard for somebody in his position to score a dozen or more goals every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.