Greatest Everton Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id imagine Graeme Sharp's percentage wouldnt be up there with the five above but im going to give him an honourable mention. Hero of mine when a kid.

Mine to....

My fav player of all time. Hence the name!!

Him an Andy Grey up frount. Loved them, i was only 7/8 years old. Great times.

Saying that, the Yak goal scoring wise is as good as any!!

But are those stats purely goals/games giving a ratio, or are they actually games that the player scored in? For instance, Dixies last game where he needed a hat-trick to get the record. He scored 3 goals in 1 game (and several other prolific games, including when he knocked in all 5 in against Man Utd).

But are those stats purely goals/games giving a ratio, or are they actually games that the player scored in? For instance, Dixies last game where he needed a hat-trick to get the record. He scored 3 goals in 1 game (and several other prolific games, including when he knocked in all 5 in against Man Utd).

Well I would doubt that particular stat would be available. It would take some trawling through.

Of course there are all kinds of variables, its only really meant as a bit of fun.

Its also important to understand that there are strikers and forwards. I never saw Sharpy as a striker, more as a forward who supported the striker, hence why he never scored as many as he could have done if he was a lone striker.

These days strikers tend to play as one up front, rather than back in the day when it was 442 or 433.

Think you have to take into account the difference in football today and in Dixie Dean's time to establish a greatest Everton Striker criteria beyond the cold statistics. Not taking anything away from the great man coz he still scored more than anyone else at the time but defences were still adapting to a change in the offside law (1925) when he acheived his remarkable feat. whereas Bob Latchford had to contend with ultra defensive 70s tactics (personified by Revie's Leeds team, I remember one midweek game against a post Revie Leeds team where Trevor Cherry must have passed back to his goalie 20 times) and far more protection for goalies.
From what I've read Still think Dean must have been a better striker than Latchford but you get the point

Latchford made 268 appearances (3 as substitute) for Everton scoring 138 goals.

Good, but not great.

For the record Sharpy has a record of 150 goals in 412 games, which comes in at 36% - which isn't that great.

As mentioned Sharp took some time to get going. And both played a couple of seasons when they were past their best and not scoring regularly. Although Latchford a had a couple of good years at Swansea after he left us.
I saw him play in a testimonial at Coventry c 1985 when he would only have been 34, he was fat, slow and looked completely disinterested.

Id imagine Graeme Sharp's percentage wouldnt be up there with the five above but im going to give him an honourable mention. Hero of mine when a kid.

If you take into consideration his assists, I'm sure he would be upthere.

I'd like to see which one gave us more points with his goals.

And which ones contributed to more goals (goals+assists).

Last edited:

Yakube will score alot of goals this season, more than last season probably. You just have to look at the midfield he's had behind him. It's been chopped and changed, it's had no balance and two kids have been used (Rodwell, Baxter). All this and he's scored 4 goals in 6 games.

He's as good as any striker in the League, probably world class in my opinion. He just has that mentality, you know he's score goals at any club he plays for. Nothing bothers him and he gets the job done.

He also plays with a smile on his face, that pleases me. He's a joy to watch.

Legends are only made after a long and loyal period with us, some players dont even need to score to become a legend, what is the criteria? I mean Big Dunc is a legend in my eyes, but his goal to games ratio is pretty poor and yes i agree he never really played to his potential, but hes got our badge on his arm and he would have died and killed for us, you cant buy that kind of loyalty.

Lineker played 1 season with us and he was a goal machine, but i wouldnt call him a legend, more like a jug eared mercenary.

But the Yak scores goals for fun, he walks around the pitch looking so un-interested and then BOOOM, the balls in the back on the net and the cry goes up, "FEED THE YAK AND HE WILL SCORE", crap song, but i love it!!! If he sticks around a few more years and keeps banging in 20+ goals of a season he will defo become a legend, i just have a big question mark against his loyalty.

Agree that Lineker isn't a legend. But I wouldn't call him a mercenary either. The deal was done pretty much behind his back.

Striker legend status in my lifetime:

Latchford
Sharpey
Big Dunc

That is it, as far as I can remember.

Yak might get onto the list in a few years. It depends whether he becomes Everton or not.

Legends are only made after a long and loyal period with us, some players dont even need to score to become a legend, what is the criteria?

I always think of Duncan McKenzie as a legend. I know he was only with us a short time and he used to drift in and out of games, but when he was on his game the sun came out and God came down and stood in the street end and sang 'we all agree...Duncan McKenzie is magic' with the rest of us. Had about the same scoring rate as Andy Grey, played with a smile on his face.

I may be in a minority on this one but in our house he is a legend.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.