Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
...none of us know the CB situation, but here’s my take;

Zouma was the target and Tomori the contingency. Chelsea were not planning to keep both, but decided on Zouma. Everton were led to believe they could have Tomori (reports suggested Tomori had been given the green light to leave on loan). The Tomori deal crashed yesterday when the other CB went on strike to join Arsenal.

Everton were left in the lurch. You can criticise them for assuming Tomori was ours. Strategic targets were not available, so we asked for Smalling on loan and that was turned down. We asked for Rojo on loan but were told he was only available on a permanent.

Rojo on a 3 year deal wasn’t what the club wanted. He’d be an expensive millstone for 2 years when we bring in a player we want. I’m actually glad we took that stance. Ok, we might be in a pickle but January isn’t too far off to do something about it.
That's exactly as I see it too Eggs.

I can understand why Silva is narked, and I actually think it's a good thing that he challenges the senior management in this way. But's it's just the way it is. It's hard to criticise Brands too harshly for this black mark on what has otherwise been a very successful window.

Silva will get over it. Especially if we manage to bring in Zouma during the January window which I think is a good possibility if Chelsea get their ban reduced to 1 window as expected.

Squad is a complete mess some good players in it but also some dross and not very well balanced. However it is what it is and time to look forward to the new season.
Eh?

I think it's the best squad we've had for as long as I remember. We have brought in players like Iwobi, Delph and Gbamin that can cover multiple positions and we look to have solved the striker problem. We have more options all over the pitch than ever before and decent cover for very position bar centre back, and we're even that short there when compared to our peers.

Compared to where we were when Allardyce left this is a 1000% improvement. We need to move out another 4 or 5 players but we still have over 3 weeks to do that.

Eh?

I think it's the best squad we've had for as long as I remember. We have brought in players like Iwobi, Delph and Gbamin that can cover multiple positions and we look to have solved the striker problem. We have more options all over the pitch than ever before and decent cover for very position bar centre back, and we're even that short there when compared to our peers.

Compared to where we were when Allardyce left this is a 1000% improvement. We need to move out another 4 or 5 players but we still have over 3 weeks to do that.

Yeah its defo much more balanced and less bloated than its been for years.

As you say we have a few players who can play in different positions, some areas we have decent depth, others less so, but it was always going to take a good few windows to cleanse the rubbish and add quality.

Fantastic Thread @MarcelsGoat, I did something this summer and that I haven't done before and that was I took time off from all footballing matters until the transfer window had closed so having this thread available to just go through to find out who came in and went out was a godsend, I look forward to you doing this every year if you are able to.

Yeah its defo much more balanced and less bloated than its been for years.

As you say we have a few players who can play in different positions, some areas we have decent depth, others less so, but it was always going to take a good few windows to cleanse the rubbish and add quality.

This. Give it 2 or 3 more windows and Sky will have to change it to 'the big 7'.

Ok, first the numbers.

We started the window with 40 players, we ended it with 29.
2 players contracts expired, we loaned out 8 players, we sold 7 players(1 free transfer) = 17 out, 2 players were removed for now.
We bought 6(1 free transfer) and loaned 1, 1 player was added for now.

GK
We started the window with 3 Keepers, Pickford will retain his number 1, Stekkers will continue to be a hologram and we traded Lossl for Virginia.
Not much change here, Virginia is a promising young Keeper who will hopefully gain experience on loan and im hopeful that Lossl will be a decent enough deputy.

RB
2 at the start and 3 at the end, Martina was moved here from LB and I would imagine he will be moved on before the end of the month. JJK again will hopefully gain some experience away on loan and we have brought in Sidibe, who im led to believe was at 1 point a very good player but sadly didnt have the best of seasons last year. Still hes an experienced player and im hopeful he can put some pressure on Coleman and keep him on his toes. I consider this an improved position.

LB
Luca Digne, what a man. We started the window with 6 LBs, Martina was moved, Baines was retained, Robinson, Galloway and Garbutt were moved on, so all in all we stayed pretty much the same, with Baines backing up the best LB in Europe.

CB
Yerry Mina and Keggers will no doubt be the happiest of our players after this window, our failure to secure a CB has plenty of scope to bite us firmly on the backside, lets hope not. Jags and Williams left after contract expiry and Pennington was loaned out. Gibson was "drafted in", but for me its certainly our weakest area, depth-wise.

DM/CM/AM
Lots of movement here, Gomes was retained from last season, Delph and Gbamin were added, TomTom and for now Snides remained. Gana, McCarthy, Williams and Vlasic were sold and Besic and Dowell were loaned out. Connolly and Beni have been removed, for now. How we cope without Gana time will tell. Delph will prove to be a good signing if he can stay fit and I like the brief glimpses ive seen of Gbamin. Its difficult to say if we have improved due to Delphs fitness and how Gbamin will settle, im calling it equal for now, Ganas loss is big, but for me signing 3 players MIGHT just improve things, we shall see.

Widers
Lookman was moved on, for now Henry is still here, so are Mirallas and Bolaise. So you could say we have traded Lookman for Iwobi, the boy Alex is gonna have to be pretty bad to play any worse than Lookman, so im calling this an upgrade personally. Rico and little Bernie, plus Walcott have of course remained.

ST
Sandro and Tarashaj were both loaned out. DCL, Tosun and Niasse remain, for now. But of course, for me, our best bit of business this window, Mo Keggers. A massive improvement made here.

TL;DR
5 positions upgraded
1 equal and 1 area short

A quick look back on the squad that started :

GK
Jordan Pickford
João Virginia
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines
Antonee Robinson
Brendan Galloway
Luke Garbutt
Cuco Martina

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane
Mason Holgate
Phil Jagielka
Matthew Pennington
Ashley Williams

DM/CM/AM
Idrissa Gueye
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Tom Davies
James McCarthy
Morgan Schneiderlin
Muhamed Bešić
Kieran Dowell
Joe Williams
Beni Baningime
Callum Connolly
Nikola Vlašić

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman
Henry Onyekuru
Yannick Bolasie
Kevin Mirallas

ST
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Shani Tarashaj

Total players: 40

And the 1 that ended the buying part of the window :

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson (UA)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)
Henry Onyekuru
Yannick Bolasie
Kevin Mirallas

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 29
10 HG/16 Non-HG/3 UnderAge
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 17(2)
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan)

Connolly, Baningime (Removed)

Players purchased : 7
Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean, Sidibe(Loan), Iwobi

There is of course 3 weeks left in the window and I will do edits as and when needed, but for now, thanks for reading and see you again in December when I will take a quick look before the Winter window starts.

Shall we not remove Onyekuru as he can’t get a permit and doesn’t have a squad number?

CB
Yerry Mina and Keggers will no doubt be the happiest of our players after this window, our failure to secure a CB has plenty of scope to bite us firmly on the backside, lets hope not. Jags and Williams left after contract expiry and Pennington was loaned out. Gibson was "drafted in", but for me its certainly our weakest area, depth-wise.
Agree the failure to get a CB may come back to haunt us
Schnederlin will stay for the season
Silva likes him and has said he is the only cover for the No6 position

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson (UA)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)
Yannick Bolasie
Kevin Mirallas

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 28
10 HG/15 Non-HG/3 UnderAge
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 18(2)
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan), Onyekuru(Sale)

Hopefully another 4-5 still to go in Bolasie, Martina, Mirallas & Niasse.

I'd like to flog Tosun too but he's determined to hang on like a bad smell.

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson (UA)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)
Yannick Bolasie
Kevin Mirallas

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 28
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 18(2)
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan), Onyekuru(Sale)

Actually starting to look like a proper squad now rather than a collection of left backs who had one decent game for us when they were 17 but are now 26.

Although we are weaker defensively, the squad is younger and better balanced. My guess is we’ve reduced the wage bill as well

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson (UA)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)
Yannick Bolasie

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 27
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 20(1)
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan), Onyekuru(Sale), Connolly(Loan), Mirallas(Free?)

Baningime (Removed)

Removed SuperKev and changed Connolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.