Goats squad analysis thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
...no, the squad was a complete mess when Brands came in. Too big, unbalanced and inadequate. It’ll take some sorting and the transition won’t be instant.

Two unused wingers have now gone (Lookman and Onyekuru), for the cost of one that will be used. Bolasie and Mirallas are Walsh residue that has to be cleared.

I'm enjoying the comments of those who thought that HUGE mess could be sorted in 2-3 windows......

I think it will take a bare minimum of 4 windows to sort it all out.

...none of us know the CB situation, but here’s my take;

Zouma was the target and Tomori the contingency. Chelsea were not planning to keep both, but decided on Zouma. Everton were led to believe they could have Tomori (reports suggested Tomori had been given the green light to leave on loan). The Tomori deal crashed yesterday when the other CB went on strike to join Arsenal.

Everton were left in the lurch. You can criticise them for assuming Tomori was ours. Strategic targets were not available, so we asked for Smalling on loan and that was turned down. We asked for Rojo on loan but were told he was only available on a permanent.

Rojo on a 3 year deal wasn’t what the club wanted. He’d be an expensive millstone for 2 years when we bring in a player we want. I’m actually glad we took that stance. Ok, we might be in a pickle but January isn’t too far off to do something about it.

I'm thrilled that Zouma was made a priority. Obviously, it should've been obvious based on performance... but considering some questionable moves (or lack of) in windows past, it wasn't a given.....

Also share the same view on Rojo. Great call not to tie up 2-3 years on him....that would've had potential to be another Schneiderlin/Bolasie/etc.

Anybody care to give me a quick update on our net spend, trying shut a RS up?
Iwobi 34, Kean 25, Gbamin 25, Gomes 22, Delph 8.5, then Lossi free and 2.5 loan for Sidibe so about 117m or thereabouts.

Williams 2m, Robinson 2m, Vlasic 14m, Gana 29m, Lookman 22.5, McCarthy 8.5m plus various loan fees, so about 80m in total.

Net spend of around 37 ish.

...no, the squad was a complete mess when Brands came in. Too big, unbalanced and inadequate. It’ll take some sorting and the transition won’t be instant.

Two unused wingers have now gone (Lookman and Onyekuru), for the cost of one that will be used. Bolasie and Mirallas are Walsh residue that has to be cleared.
The squad was absolutely a mess.
Brands is sorting problem areas, but there was too much to do in one window. The outs were possibly even more important in this window.

The squad was absolutely a mess.
Brands is sorting problem areas, but there was too much to do in one window. The outs were possibly even more important in this window.
Still think Henry will go to Monaco before the end of the window. Hopefully some european club will be glad to take the likes of Miralles, Niasse, Martina and Bolasie off our hands, when they are not included in our 25 man premier league squad.

One thing I appreciate about the ins this summer is the flexibility they seem to bring. Delph can play midfield and cover at LB, Gbamin defensive mid and CB, Iwobi can play any midfield position or wing, Sidibe both RB and LB, even Kean could supposedly play wing in a pinch. Gives Marco flexibility and room for creativity, unlike last year where it seemed we were pretty stuck in where guys slot in.

Manager: Marco Silva

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Lewis Gibson (UA)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)
Henry Onyekuru
Yannick Bolasie
Kevin Mirallas

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 29
10 HG/16 Non-HG/3 UnderAge
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 17(2)
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan)

Connolly, Baningime (Removed)

Players purchased so far: 7
Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean, Sidibe(Loan), Iwobi

Already did it.

Iwobi 34, Kean 25, Gbamin 25, Gomes 22, Delph 8.5, then Lossi free and 2.5 loan for Sidibe so about 117m or thereabouts.

Williams 2m, Robinson 2m, Vlasic 14m, Gana 29m, Lookman 22.5, McCarthy 8.5m plus various loan fees, so about 80m in total.

Net spend of around 37 ish.
Don’t forget the 5m due to us from the Lukaku deal.

Iwobi 28, Kean 25, Gbamin 25, Gomes 22, Delph 8.5, then Lossi free and 2.5 loan for Sidibe so about 111m or thereabouts.

Williams 2m, Robinson 2m, Vlasic 14m, Gana 29m, Lookman 22.5, McCarthy 8.5m, Lukaku fee £5m, plus various loan fees, so about 85m in total.

Net spend of around 26 ish.

With money from Henry and possibly others to come.

Few amends made. Hope you don’t mind.

Yeah I over shot on the Iwobi fee and forgot the Lukaku dough ;)

To be honest when you weight it up, we are a centre half away from a very good window.

Squad numbers severely reduced and some good talent brought in.

Nothing that can’t be rectified in January - along with a couple of others.

I reckon we’ll end up with a net spend of around £5-10m once this month is up which is very very good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.