Florida Cup 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Investing in youth is 1 thing, weakening yourself by playing substandard players is another, its a pretty fine line, DCL is the success story, there are 000s of it going the other way.

Andros Townsend will provide more to us in his Everton career than Anthony Gordon will, based on what ive seen from the very young player.

Best thing for AG would be a loan, he needs games, without the pressure of playing for Everton brings.

I mean using your logic, lets not buy a right-back, we have Jonjoe Kenny.
I think there is a difference between playing substandard youngsters, Baningime comes to mind as one a lot of people wanted to give time to who personally I didn't really care about, and the ones who are borderline better than the older player who is getting the minutes instead. Gordon versus Townsend is in the second category. Hell Townsend is a substandard player if we're trying to make Europe. We've weakened ourselves for this season by putting a contract in front of him.

I think there is a difference between playing substandard youngsters, Baningime comes to mind as one a lot of people wanted to give time to who personally I didn't really care about, and the ones who are borderline better than the older player who is getting the minutes instead. Gordon versus Townsend is in the second category. Hell Townsend is a substandard player if we're trying to make Europe. We've weakened ourselves for this season by putting a contract in front of him.
Time will tell on both Townsend and Gordon.

You used the Lookman and Bernard example before, neither are any good, so by selling Lookman we actually "made" progress.

Time will tell on both Townsend and Gordon.

You used the Lookman and Bernard example before, neither are any good, so by selling Lookman we actually "made" progress.
We were only able to sell Lookman because RBL did the ground work. If we can get a loan of that quality for Gordon then that is fine but I'm not so sure that is on the cards. And frankly as we've seen with Kean and Lookman if a club of that level is asking about a young player the right thing to do is try to develop him ourselves.

Time has already told on Andros. He's 30 and been around for a decade. We know who he is.

Do you really think that ability to pass from deep is only about three of the eleven players?

If yes don't bother actually responding. If no I think you'll get why the other players might be worth discussing.
No, as I said previously I get where you're coming from BUT the initial comment was about CB playing out from the back. Carry on being obtuse though. Look, it's semantics. We're crap playing out from most places.

No, as I said previously I get where you're coming from BUT the initial comment was about CB playing out from the back. Carry on being obtuse though. Look, it's semantics. We're crap playing out from most places.
The original comment was "We're terrible at playing out from the back" and I added to the one saying our CBs were bad because, imo, it's more than that.

Seems like you agree. ;)

The original comment was "We're terrible at playing out from the back" and I added to the one saying our CBs were bad because, imo, it's more than that.

Seems like you agree. ;)
You know what? Absolutely! Because I can't be arsed, and we agree we are poor on the ball generally.

Investing in youth is 1 thing, weakening yourself by playing substandard players is another, its a pretty fine line, DCL is the success story, there are 000s of it going the other way.

Andros Townsend will provide more to us in his Everton career than Anthony Gordon will, based on what ive seen from the very young player.

Best thing for AG would be a loan, he needs games, without the pressure of playing for Everton brings.

I mean using your logic, lets not buy a right-back, we have Jonjoe Kenny.

I think that we can reasonably conclude that Kenny isn't enough, on the data. By contrast, I'm not sure that we can draw that conclusion with respect to Gordon.

I think your criticism of the position I staked out is fully legitimate. All I'm saying is that it's not the only way to see the problem.

Is it me or have both Douc and Allan regressed? Both seem like they dissipate their energy on dumb stuff
Nah! would just say unfit and rusty. Both showed good things and bad things. Same applies to all the players...........good moments and poor moments but when rusty and not 100% fit these things happen hence the reason of friendlies. Unimportant results wise but important fitness wise. Good run outs against teams that are at the right fitness levels albeit not great teams.

And thats why you are very close to taking Zats most clueless poster 2021 award.
Stick me up there too Goat as for once I fully agree with him.

Gordon was very bright at the start of last season too but it ended up a wasted season. Needs to learn the defensive side but that will come with game time.

Nah! would just say unfit and rusty. Both showed good things and bad things. Same applies to all the players...........good moments and poor moments but when rusty and not 100% fit these things happen hence the reason of friendlies. Unimportant results wise but important fitness wise. Good run outs against teams that are at the right fitness levels albeit not great teams.
Both took time last season coming back from injuries to be back at their best.

It is o
Stick me up there too Goat as for once I fully agree with him.

Gordon was very bright at the start of last season too but it ended up a wasted season. Needs to learn the defensive side but that will come with game time.
But, seeing as Gordon and Townsend play on different sides of the pitch and we need consistency, we could not drop Andros for Gordon this season, it would be madness. Surprised at @Zatara for even suggesting it tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.