Flags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job we won or another Ipswich 0-4 Cushion Revival from the Top Balcony was on the cards. (Who can spear Deeney?)

Sadly, I never got to chuck cushions from the Top Balcony....I was just a teenager in the Street End when that practice was in its heyday but I used to look up in awe at how the arl arsed up there had that particular weapon to wield.

But yesterday......yesterday I joined in the flag waving and I loved it :dance:

And that was the first time I have ever waved a flag....any kind of flag....in my life.

Flags - ok as an occasional thing I think, but please God we never ever go down the route of those happy clapper clacker things that Leicester and a couple of others have! They’re an abomination and will never ever have a place at Goodison or BMD!

Indeed.

I enjoyed the flags despite myself....though I wouldn’t want it all the time.

But thise clacker thingys....no way :mad:

Andy C
Do me a favour close my registration then please because I’m sick of belllends like yourself pretending shitty gimmicks like that. today will help us win trophys!

I’ve never and neither has anybody else suggested the sirens or flags will help us win trophies, but they do help with improving the match atmosphere.

As for closing your account, it will be my pleasure, you misery.

Didn't realise it was a fan group behind it yesterday, rather than the club.

Firstly any fan group should be applauded for trying to improve the atmosphere and engage the fans. If that there is no doubt.

I think they got the application wrong slightly there, by copying the likes of Brighton City and Wigan with the free flags. Granted it can look good at grounds for a short time but it will always be looked down on as a bit of a plastic club gimmick.

However it's encouraging that there's a fan group willing to try. Hopefully next time they will get it more appropriate for a historic club like Everton but you can only be thankful they have started so ring and will look to improve it.

Man United have a fan group similar and they tried creating a singing section. Initially it looked ridiculous, they attempted to recreate flags, scarves and banners that the likes of palace and the neighbours do - however they got it wrong in the sense that the flags they did were all the same size and shape (like a postage stamp) and there were several of the same design made. It looked silly at first but they have refined it somewhat to look better at old Trafford. For it to look good you need to have different shapes and styles and some smaller flags like what we had yesterday.

Back to the blues and I don't expect them to do something for every game but now I know it's a fan created effort rather than a horrible club produced effort I'm a lot more tolerant towards it as I'm sure most fans will be.

Lastly the flags can only do so much. The effort these lads and lasses will have made only goes so far and it's down to the fans who have waves the flags before the game to keep the atmosphere as lively as possible. Yes it's down to the action on the pitch too but yesterday after a lively first 20 mins the atmosphere stopped to a silence. That's when the fans who have waved the flags red to stand up and push it on again. I'm looking at the fans in the GS here as the fans in our traditional "home" end. The onus is on you to contribute to keep the atmosphere alive after the initial fervour has died down.

There's nothing worse than some suit coming up with an idea for the sake of it, to justify its own existence and paycheck
while the thought police are herding, the ninny nannies tut tutting, the crowd baa baaing.
That's not Everton, it has to be real, has to be organic.

Who leads this stuff? much better for it to be a supporter group, but they can end up in'corporate'd as well.

The thing is, when they walk out on that pitch, it's the players, manager (and now the dof) that lead
they represent the spirit of the club and the supporters respond - discourse between supporters and players
things may have got a bit a toxic, went a bit far at times, but it was at least real
(off the pitch its a bit more club and community that lead)

You wouldn't have had the last derby if it wasn't real.
I wasn't at Goodison for the derby, so tell me I'm wrong, or for stating the obvious, but everyone is up for derby day.
Had only won 4 of the last 14 and chance to turn the season around and gain back some spirit.
Toxic discourse put aside, players and supporters united, energy and intent as one
(and the chance to scupper the RS chances of a title as a bonus)

And the behind the scenes came to the party as well with the sirens/zcars.
In that moment it wasn't contrived, rather the idea of the sirens, uniquely, creatively, rose up to meet and match the existing energy
In that moment the fume wafted away and imo a bit of folklore was left in its place.
And 6 wins and 2 draws out of 9 followed.

Point is, kept it real, allow for these moments to happen.
No corporate should seek to control it. Other clubs have lost their way and its very hard to get it back.
Brands nod to supporters re Gomes is shows a healthy discourse all round.

We need corporate to run a healthy business. And it can done without supporters being treated as consumers, commodities and as things to be herded around. Going by the twitter clip the flags thing looked fun although the flame thing looked a bit of a farce. Whatever the case, we should be vigilant things don't go south...or east or across the park.

Last edited:
I for one am sick and tired of the moaning-about-anything-and everything element within our fan base.

The club doesn't get everything right, on or off the pitch, but there are some who just want to bitch and whinge for the sheer sake of it.

If the club make mistakes, constructive critical comment is acceptable, just moaning for moaning sake is unadulterated negativity and is draining.

This has certainly divided opinion.

I was a bit sceptical prior to the game, but on the day it looked pretty good.

This whole 'chicken and egg' debate will rumble on though.

I was in the main stand yesterday, and the crowd looked up for it, but as the game progressed, the usual frustrations with the team's performance ensued.

Rather than debate whether or not the flags worked we should focus on why they were needed in the first place. We must be one of the quietest teams in the Premiership at times but then also one of the loudest. It feels like if the team doesn't bother then why should we, rather than let's get behind our boys vocally no matter what.
If you're too cool for flags then fine, but do something else. Doing nothing during the game is far worse. Im not a season ticket holder & can only get to a couple of games a season usually so i don't know the guys sitting around my seat but if each pocket of fans can have an attitude change & show full support for the full 90 then I'm sure the atmosphere would be a hell of a lot better & with that comes a response from the team.
If you want no flags then sing, clap & cheer all game or else you are the reason there are flags.

Does anyone know why the yellow and blue "Everton" banner and the white and blue "The Pride of Merseyside" banners that drape down from the Upper Gwladys have to be rolled and tied up so you can't see them?

I noticed them down when the players came out but then towards half time I saw a few stewards rolling them up and tying them. Thought last season they looked great draping down where they were. They arent blocking anyones views and they aren't covering any advertisements or anything?!

Status
Not open for further replies.