Financial spending in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa: Sheffield United, Millwall, Burnley, Doncaster, Leicester, QPR, Bradford

At least we're not etc etc

As is always the case with blocks of numbers like that they can be interpreted different ways.

For instance clubs that have chopped and changed managers will logically spend more as the new guy ships players out, usually at a loss or below worth, and takes players he wants, usually at a premium, as people can see that coming.

What this doesn't take into account is that due to turnover of managers a lot of managers go into a job and inherit another manager's players, and need money to get the squad they feel will reflect their desired style etc.

Good points which partly explain our lower spending.

Our agent fees are a lot, "other operating costs".

Yeah, I remember that...that figure was huuuuge. Did anyone ever break it down?

Avg lge position last 10 yrs 7th. Previous 10, 14th.

What was our average league position in the 80's? That should be our aim for the next ten years.

Good manager doing a good job. Not outstanding, but good. The achievements he's had with the players he's had are good.

Agree. Tho' limp cup exits really have been poor, with the exception of the glorious Fiorentina defeat (if only all cup defeats were like that, where we fight to the end).

But a lot of chairmen would have sacked Moyes after his second yeare here and that probably wouldn't have gone well for us

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe a fresh manager would have persuaded Rooney to stay (it was well known Moyes & Rooney had a bust up before Euro 2004). Who knows how we would have developed.

I honestly don't understand how someone can watch the reading, liverpool and wigan cup games in three successive years and not be furious and want change. I was at two of those games and watch the third on telly and I'd honestly count those as three of the worst days of the last three years.

Agree. Reading was the first time I questioned Moyes' ability to take us forward. All 3 of those games, as you say, were awful soul-destroying experiences.

i don't see how anybody taking a look at the financial facts of the situation could be eager to get rid of him. Unless, as i said, your view is that winning a cup is the priority over financial survival.

What do the financial facts have to do with limp cup exits? Progressive pro-active tactics and motivated players doesn't hurt our wallet.

anyone fooling themselves that anything has significantly changed since we were relegation fodder is fooling themselves. For that reason im in the Davey in camp.

Of course there's been significant changes:

- stability of the 11-year owner/manager partnership resulting in consistent league finishes
- willingness to employ more foreign players
- semi-regular European campaigns
- dishing out (and receiving) large transfer fees
- far more television coverage (worldwide too)

On the pitch, you could argue that the best Moyes team vs the best 90's team would be a score-draw, whereas the 80's team would comfortably beat both...so in that respect perhaps not much has changed.

Thats all very well and good and does show what an uneven playing field he's been playing on.

However it doesn't take into account football games are won by ability (manager and player) not price tags or wage packets.The money comparison is fair when building squads and signing players, and Moyes does a very good job, better than the vast majority of his peers and deserves the credit.

But once those players are signed and squads assembled, after the hardest part of his task is succesfully done, then he is less succesful in what he achieves considering the ability of those given squads.

Then he is just an ok manager doing an ok job. Not bad, not outstanding, just ok.

Overall, he's a good manager. But he shouldn't always be absolved of blame for his other failings elsewhere due to his financial successes.

I won't take seriously anyone who says "we can't compete with QPR, look at how much money they spent". I eill take seriously someone who says " we'll struggle to compete with Chelsea due to how good their squad is".

Sorry but totally disagree with that line as Man city,Chelsea, man Utd all testify.

What do the financial facts have to do with limp cup exits? Progressive pro-active tactics and motivated players doesn't hurt our wallet.

Those who want Moyes out because of his 'limp cup exits' are overlooking the glaringly obvious fact that we are where we are (stable top 7 team in the league) mainly due to Moyes. If he leaves there is absolutely no guarantee we won't end up finishing bottom half consistently after a couple of years, because to sustain our form we'll need a manager who has the transfer nouse Moyes does. Not easy to find, and the fact that nobody has come up with a real alternative to Moyes other than Martinez speaks volumes.

Those who want Moyes out because of his 'limp cup exits' are overlooking the glaringly obvious fact that we are where we are (stable top 7 team in the league) mainly due to Moyes. If he leaves there is absolutely no guarantee we won't end up finishing bottom half consistently after a couple of years, because to sustain our form we'll need a manager who has the transfer nouse Moyes does. Not easy to find, and the fact that nobody has come up with a real alternative to Moyes other than Martinez speaks volumes.

Two strawmans in one argument.

1: what does league position have to do with limp cup exits?
2a: it's not our job to find the next manager, none of us knew Moyes back in 2001 either
2b: we've had loads of threads with dozens of suggested managers, many from Europe with cup pedigree.

2a: it's not our job to find the next manager, none of us knew Moyes back in 2001 either
2b: we've had loads of threads with dozens of suggested managers, many from Europe with cup pedigree.

mortal_kombat_finish_him.png

TBF Utd havnt been in the fa cup final since 2007. Arsenal 2005, Spurs 1991, Villa 2000. or something. Id say our average in the cup is up there, especially under Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.