Everton Youth Teams Thread

..it is very good. I have to admit to being one who dismisses youngsters who fail when they drop down but it is a ruthless environment and I do prefer Everton loanees to stand out at lower league clubs.
It doesn't always work out that way though. I know you are an admirer of Dowell fir example. I think most accept a loan deal next year for him is better than another season with U23s. But pick wrong club and manager and it will be disastrous.

It was interesting to hear that Rose video, was thinking of Garbutt and Galloway who haven't had great loan spells. They could be great learning curves for them and shouldn't be written off already, I guess it will be down to their attitude on return. They have both shown great promise and have already performed well for the first team, maybe they both can still have a future at Everton.

The telling comments for me are that the Championship " is a brutal league" . Yep, the top third are trying to get into the playoffs, bottom third fighting relegation, and the managers of team in the middle are getting sacked by ambitious owners cos they're not in play off positions. The lessons would seem to be that this kind of experience would be good for some, not for others and don't judge them completely on their experiences. It looks though that three of our young players Jones, Connolly and Browning got good game time in the Championship in the last few months so that's a bonus . Finding the right club for the likes of Dowell would be an interesting one. I get the feeling that Williams and Walsh would just get stuck in at this level and perform .

...I didn't see the complete England/South Korea U20 game but the clips indicated Lookman going past defenders for fun even if he did miss a few chances.
He certainly has a few tricks in his locker and the Koreans sometimes had 2/3 players on him and still couldn't get the ball off him. Great work ethic too. Really good show from him.

The telling comments for me are that the Championship " is a brutal league" . Yep, the top third are trying to get into the playoffs, bottom third fighting relegation, and the managers of team in the middle are getting sacked by ambitious owners cos they're not in play off positions. The lessons would seem to be that this kind of experience would be good for some, not for others and don't judge them completely on their experiences. It looks though that three of our young players Jones, Connolly and Browning got good game time in the Championship in the last few months so that's a bonus . Finding the right club for the likes of Dowell would be an interesting one. I get the feeling that Williams and Walsh would just get stuck in at this level and perform .
Williams especially will do well I think, but overall I agree. I'm thinking possibly a club like Barnsley for the Dowell loan. We already seem to have a decent relationship with them and they have a youth and footballing culture there from what I've seen. They have a young manager who was previously in charge if their development squad. It's a tricky one though that the club need to get right.

Posted this elsewhere re next England U20s game :

Wednesday 31st about 1130 ish, not sure of opponents yet , a third place team from Groups C/D/E.
Taken from Wikipedia so not sure of how valid this is.

England play Costa Rica in the last 16 round of the U20 world cup, tie being played on Wednesday. If we win that game we play the winners of Mexico and Senegal in the quarter final. Zambia/Germany/France/Italy await us in the semi final if we get that far.

Coming top of the group has given them an excellent opportunity to progress further in the competition. Argentina missing out on a best 3rd place position is another boost as they are one of the most highly rated teams out there and the squad is full of talent.

Mexico were not exactly impressive in finishing 2nd in their group, but these lads had a couple of head to heads in Mexico last summer in the lead up to the U19 Euros, and lost both of them. Two rare defeats for this group.

Last edited:
Although Rose didnt have the greatest of loan spells, he will gave taken something away from all of them, whether it be mentally or physically which will have contributed to the player he is now.

Galloway hardly got game time but you can guarantee after a year of Pulis' daily defensive training drills he will be better for it, plus he has stated that being away has made him appreciate our club more. Hopefully that gives him extra incentive to push on.

Brilliant mate. Love it. Too many of our young players are discarded by fans far too easily and quickly because they aren't world beaters at 20. Rose didn't really establish himself in the Spurs team until season 14/15 by which stage he was 24. He's now generally considered to be the best left back in the league. Staying with the left back theme, we let Baines go at 18 and then brought him back 5 years later. Many fans consider him to be the best Everton player of the modern generation.

In fairness, it is hard for the club to make the correct decision because players develop at different rates and sometimes mature very early in their careers and don't improve thereafter. There are only so many players that can be retained without stopping development of younger players coming through. This can be seen at the moment. There were so many top players in the 2013 (I think) year that some top prospects from the 2014 have just had their development put on hold. The likes of Broadhead, Brewster and Donohue all stagnated and the latter 2 may be released this summer.

Was your post aimed at the stick Dowell has been getting on here? If so, I'm with you on this one.

baines was never part of our academy mate, think he had a couple of trials just.

baines was never part of our academy mate, think he had a couple of trials just.
Don't know mate. The youth set up never had the sort of coverage it gets now. But I always thought it was generally accepted that he was on Evertons books as a youngster. Even his own profile on the OS says "having been on Everton's books as a teenager, Baines eventually joined Wigan's you set up".

I wonder if Bournemouth would be interested in loaoning him, Howe seems a good coach who isn't afraid of trying young players and Dowell might fit in their more attacking style.

I wonder if Bournemouth would be interested in loaoning him, Howe seems a good coach who isn't afraid of trying young players and Dowell might fit in their more attacking style.

...it is odd that Dowell has still to experience open age football given the extent of loanees at the club. Perhaps my (and others) assumption that he's not an RK 'type' player is wrong or more accurately, they want to work on what they perceive to be his weaknesses at USM FF.

Its what he does when he hasn't got a football that looks the problem, if they can fix that it might just be they prefer to go the Davies route and expose him to first team football at Everton. Saying that, they might just ditch him because he isn't what they want. Regardless, I like watching him play even if he has frailties (not including coming from Ormskirk of course).

...it is odd that Dowell has still to experience open age football given the extent of loanees at the club. Perhaps my (and others) assumption that he's not an RK 'type' player is wrong or more accurately, they want to work on what they perceive to be his weaknesses at USM FF.

Its what he does when he hasn't got a football that looks the problem, if they can fix that it might just be they prefer to go the Davies route and expose him to first team football at Everton. Saying that, they might just ditch him because he isn't what they want. Regardless, I like watching him play even if he has frailties (not including coming from Ormskirk of course).
lol a dangerous weakness indeed!