Everton Youth Teams Thread

I like Kenny. Reminds me of Baines but with the cavilear have a go spirit of Coleman. Dowell definitely has the raw talent but sure if he has the speed/mobility to make it at prem level

what do people reckon about kiersey who signed a pro deal today?
In the 2nd tier of the 2015 Scholars who will now move up or move out. Feeney, Beni, Evans are Tier 1 who have played at ui23 level and had contracts early. I would say of the rest Kiersey, Lavery and maybe Danny Bramall are Tier 2 and have shown a wee bit to maybe warrant another year ( Don't think, but not sure, Lavery and Bramall have contracts yet.) Of the rest , about 8 or 9 , very few if any are likely to get another contract.

He doesnt even run games at U23 level, thats what he doesnt do.
Some players excel when they play with players at a higher level, from the evidence of watching Dowell, he plays the same regardless of the quality of the opposition.
Anyway what is the point of having an academy if you don't give the elite an opportunity to demonstrate, their ability.

Some players excel when they play with players at a higher level, from the evidence of watching Dowell, he plays the same regardless of the quality of the opposition.
Anyway what is the point of having an academy if you don't give the elite an opportunity to demonstrate, their ability.

The elite have been given a chance, oh and Pennington.

Ive no idea if Dowell will make it, I do very much doubt it, but hey ho, lets see.

In the 2nd tier of the 2015 Scholars who will now move up or move out. Feeney, Beni, Evans are Tier 1 who have played at ui23 level and had contracts early. I would say of the rest Kiersey, Lavery and maybe Danny Bramall are Tier 2 and have shown a wee bit to maybe warrant another year ( Don't think, but not sure, Lavery and Bramall have contracts yet.) Of the rest , about 8 or 9 , very few if any are likely to get another contract.
12 months ago I'd have put Lavery in the top tier mate, and he was giving Brewster and Broadhead a run for their money. Doesn't appear to have kicked on last year for some reason. Not sure if he's had injury problems

Brilliant mate. Love it. Too many of our young players are discarded by fans far too easily and quickly because they aren't world beaters at 20. Rose didn't really establish himself in the Spurs team until season 14/15 by which stage he was 24. He's now generally considered to be the best left back in the league. Staying with the left back theme, we let Baines go at 18 and then brought him back 5 years later. Many fans consider him to be the best Everton player of the modern generation.

In fairness, it is hard for the club to make the correct decision because players develop at different rates and sometimes mature very early in their careers and don't improve thereafter. There are only so many players that can be retained without stopping development of younger players coming through. This can be seen at the moment. There were so many top players in the 2013 (I think) year that some top prospects from the 2014 have just had their development put on hold. The likes of Broadhead, Brewster and Donohue all stagnated and the latter 2 may be released this summer.

Was your post aimed at the stick Dowell has been getting on here? If so, I'm with you on this one.

12 months ago I'd have put Lavery in the top tier mate, and he was giving Brewster and Broadhead a run for their money. Doesn't appear to have kicked on last year for some reason. Not sure if he's had injury problems
Agree, Lavery appeared to have the pace and goals in him, but difficult to tell as it was against 18 year olds. Judging by hos none appearances yeah I would say an injury has occurred. He's worth a years contract to find out more.

Brilliant mate. Love it. Too many of our young players are discarded by fans far too easily and quickly because they aren't world beaters at 20. Rose didn't really establish himself in the Spurs team until season 14/15 by which stage he was 24. He's now generally considered to be the best left back in the league. Staying with the left back theme, we let Baines go at 18 and then brought him back 5 years later. Many fans consider him to be the best Everton player of the modern generation.

In fairness, it is hard for the club to make the correct decision because players develop at different rates and sometimes mature very early in their careers and don't improve thereafter. There are only so many players that can be retained without stopping development of younger players coming through. This can be seen at the moment. There were so many top players in the 2013 (I think) year that some top prospects from the 2014 have just had their development put on hold. The likes of Broadhead, Brewster and Donohue all stagnated and the latter 2 may be released this summer.

Was your post aimed at the stick Dowell has been getting on here? If so, I'm with you on this one.
Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular mate. Just found it interesting. A lot of poeple think loaning players out to lower leagues is the best way to develop them but that might not always be the case. I wonder how many potentially good players have been lost due to being discarded after unsuccessful loans? The likes of Rose and Kane were lucky that they were at a club that gives chances. Likewise Barkley after his loan at Leeds. On the other hand you have someone like Josh McEachran who showed at 17 he could hold his own in Chelsea's 1st team but then got loaned out here and there and lost his way.

And as you say players develop at different rates and you might not see the best of some until later in their 20s.

I always thought dowell would be in his early 20's before he made his breakthrough.

A lot of young players who get chances in the prem. are fast wingers or strikers. And most have dropped down the division with a couple of years. Look at Ibe, I know he's still in the prem but he was going to be better than sterling, now he can't get a game for Bournemouth.

Thing is dowell is not a speed merchant or a winger, and he couldn't play centre mid. He is a proper number 10 for me. And there's not many number 10's playing for top teams on a regular basis at 19/20.

nobody apart from bitter RS fans actually thought ibe was better than sterling though.

Too many of our young players are discarded by fans far too easily and quickly because they aren't world beaters at 20.

And as you say players develop at different rates and you might not see the best of some until later in their 20s.

This. And yet everyone wants the kids either to be playing 1st team by then or they should be allowed to go and play somewhere else. They don't need to be worrying about that until 22/23 imo.

Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular mate. Just found it interesting. A lot of poeple think loaning players out to lower leagues is the best way to develop them but that might not always be the case. I wonder how many potentially good players have been lost due to being discarded after unsuccessful loans? The likes of Rose and Kane were lucky that they were at a club that gives chances. Likewise Barkley after his loan at Leeds. On the other hand you have someone like Josh McEachran who showed at 17 he could hold his own in Chelsea's 1st team but then got loaned out here and there and lost his way.

Agree mate. Seeing as you mention Chelsea I have to say that there have been a few Chelsea youth players in recent years who's careers completely stalled after loan spells, McEachran being just one of them. They currently have a large number out around the 19/22 age and it will be interesting to see what happens to them. Very highly rated players like Tammy Abraham, Lewis Baker, Izzy Brown, Jake Clarke-Salter & Tomori (both currently starring in the U20s on Korea). In addition they have the likes of Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Solanke sitting on their thumbs at Chelsea, getting little or no game time for either the first XI or their U23s. The list of young English players is not exhaustive and I have highlighted just those that are a shoe in for the English national teams at their age group or above. At least 4 of those mentioned will be starters in the upcoming U21 euros. Plus they have lots of foreign lads of similar age and ability out on loan, one of which has just played in the Europa Cup final. What does the future hold for these lads?

Closer to home we have the likes of Brendan Galloway who has just had a disastrous loan at West Brom, but that doesn't turn him into a bad player overnight.

..it is very good. I have to admit to being one who dismisses youngsters who fail when they drop down but it is a ruthless environment and I do prefer Everton loanees to stand out at lower league clubs.