Everton Youth Teams Thread

..I'm saying that perhaps lads of advanced ability should be fast tracked and only available for open age representative football. It almost seems a backward development step to go from Premiership to U19 football. I'm not saying Davies would get picked for the full international side but after a certain number of top flight games he should only be eligible for top flight representative footy.

Agreed, that was my point. I have no idea why he's not being pushed. What else do they need to see? You've got Championship guys starting for the U21s. Not saying they aren't talented, but they haven't accomplished a fraction of what Tom has done this year.

The
Agreed, that was my point. I have no idea why he's not being pushed. What else do they need to see? You've got Championship guys starting for the U21s. Not saying they aren't talented, but they haven't accomplished a fraction of what Tom has done this year.
I love watching our youngsters play in Youth internationals, often when they are young it's the chance to assess them early, but must admit I'm not bothered about Davies's situation. He's played a lot of international and club games in the past year, I'm glad he only played once the past few days, he'll be ready for Saturday. England do promote players up , Gomez and Abraham who played at u21 are eligible for the U20s, the younger Sessegnon too is playing up a few years . Davies has grown by captaining his country, but its USM FF that's more likely to shape his development in the next year so won't be too bothered about the u21 s.

The

I love watching our youngsters play in Youth internationals, often when they are young it's the chance to assess them early, but must admit I'm not bothered about Davies's situation. He's played a lot of international and club games in the past year, I'm glad he only played once the past few days, he'll be ready for Saturday. England do promote players up , Gomez and Abraham who played at u21 are eligible for the U20s, the younger Sessegnon too is playing up a few years . Davies has grown by captaining his country, but its USM FF that's more likely to shape his development in the next year so won't be too bothered about the u21 s.

I hear your point. I just find it laughable that Tom is essentially revving his engine in the 19s. It's not doing him any good, and quite frankly there's a greater risk of getting kicked than improving his game in the 19s.

..yep, I know you rate him but very few of the successful youth players seem to come through at Chelsea. Not sure if Roberts is the little midfielder I like at Spurs.

Roberts was the winger who played ahead of Kenny at the Euro under 17's when England won mate, was player of the tournament IMO (at Fulham back then - think City bought and loaned him out shortly after)

I suspect it's because they have a major tournament in three months time and the team that got them there is the squad going there.
Imagine Davies will be captain when they refresh the squad post tournament for the new set of campaigns.

Morgan Feeney captained England u18s to their , and his, third win in the past 4 or 5 days , 4-0, doesn't look like the competition was that great. George Hirst of Sheffield Wednesday started at 9, apparently we still have an interest in him , had a bid rejected in January. 25 goals this season split between 15 at u18 10 at U23, could be a good addition if his value doesn't rise too much.

I suspect it's because they have a major tournament in three months time and the team that got them there is the squad going there.
Imagine Davies will be captain when they refresh the squad post tournament for the new set of campaigns.
Agree, they also played a match important to get into U19 Euro Champs. It is going to do only good things for him if he goes there being a leader of that team.

Agree, they also played a match important to get into U19 Euro Champs. It is going to do only good things for him if he goes there being a leader of that team.

hes always been leader of that team, was captain at the u17 world cup and they were complete crap like the seniors so good practice for him.

..I'm saying that perhaps lads of advanced ability should be fast tracked and only available for open age representative football. It almost seems a backward development step to go from Premiership to U19 football. I'm not saying Davies would get picked for the full international side but after a certain number of top flight games he should only be eligible for top flight representative footy.

I disagree on this. For example the GER U21 team that won their 2009 Euros containing Neuer, Ozil, Khedira, Boateng, Hummels etc, under those rules would not have been allowed to compete in that tournament as they were all Bundesliga regulars. That was the start of that group's journey to winning the WC 5 years later.

Sometimes it can benefit keeping a group together and sending them through a tournament rather than promoting them up to be fringe players in a higher level squad.

I disagree on this. For example the GER U21 team that won their 2009 Euros containing Neuer, Ozil, Khedira, Boateng, Hummels etc, under those rules would not have been allowed to compete in that tournament as they were all Bundesliga regulars. That was the start of that group's journey to winning the WC 5 years later.

Sometimes it can benefit keeping a group together and sending them through a tournament rather than promoting them up to be fringe players in a higher level squad.

..that's a very fair point, Billy but I simply can't see the advantage of Davies playing U19 football for England at this stage.

..that's a very fair point, Billy but I simply can't see the advantage of Davies playing U19 football for England at this stage.

Seems like the benefit, if any, is training him to be a leader among peers. That's a good effort, if it works out. You can't "teach" the sort of character that makes a good leader, but you can give him opportunity to practice and build it up.

I also disagree he would or should be a fringe player on the U21s. If Jack Grealish is starting, Tom Davies should be starting.