Everton Youth Teams Thread

New contracts have also been offered to Ryan Astley and Lewis Gibson, while the Club has activated options to extend deals for Jack Barrett and Mackenzie Hunt until the end of June 2024.

Meanwhile, Einar Iversen will depart Everton when his current deal expires at the end of June, as will Isaac Price following the midfielder’s decision to turn down a new contract.

At Academy level, professional contracts have been offered to Owen Barker, Halid Djankpata, Isaac Heath, Edward Jones and Jack Tierney, with Shae Cahill, Troy Smikle-James, Charlie Wilson and Harry Wright leaving the Club when their current deals expire at the end of this month.

Sam Coughlan and Saja Manafa, who are both currently injured, have not been offered professional contracts but will stay at Everton to continue their rehabilitation.

New contracts have also been offered to Ryan Astley and Lewis Gibson, while the Club has activated options to extend deals for Jack Barrett and Mackenzie Hunt until the end of June 2024.

Meanwhile, Einar Iversen will depart Everton when his current deal expires at the end of June, as will Isaac Price following the midfielder’s decision to turn down a new contract.

At Academy level, professional contracts have been offered to Owen Barker, Halid Djankpata, Isaac Heath, Edward Jones and Jack Tierney, with Shae Cahill, Troy Smikle-James, Charlie Wilson and Harry Wright leaving the Club when their current deals expire at the end of this month.

Sam Coughlan and Saja Manafa, who are both currently injured, have not been offered professional contracts but will stay at Everton to continue their rehabilitation.
ISS and Sherif turn 17 this month, presumably they’ll be offered contracts from 1st July ( Odin SS of course is also 17 in June) .

Has Lewis Gibson has been offered a contract to ensure we get compensation if he turns it down? Anybody know the rules?

Hello all, I don't like to bring in the sour lemon to our tranquil thread but he's having a few issues with Sean McAllister. Believes he's the reason Price is leaving, thinks he's got a brighter Everton future etc. I personally like McAllister but think he's never gonna make it here - can any of you please let Dave know your thoughts on Seany. I doubt I'm the only one with the view he isn't PL material.

Looked a bit too reckless in the challenge to me.

The likes of MacAllister coming through are probably a better bet.

@davek welcome to our thread, hopefully the others can help you understand.

That still leaves room for the explanation that he decided to leave because of MacAllister's emergence.

MacAllister's 19 and in the manager's thoughts. I just wonder why you dismiss him. It seems strange to me.

Hello all, I don't like to bring in the sour lemon to our tranquil thread but he's having a few issues with Sean McAllister. Believes he's the reason Price is leaving, thinks he's got a brighter Everton future etc. I personally like McAllister but think he's never gonna make it here - can any of you please let Dave know your thoughts on Seany. I doubt I'm the only one with the view he isn't PL material.

@davek welcome to our thread, hopefully the others can help you understand.

I get it. You're now appealing to the authority of others to back up your own rash decision.

Maybe easier to say you might be wrong on MacAllister.

I get it. You're now appealing to the authority of others to back up your own rash decision.

Maybe easier to say you might be wrong on MacAllister.
I’m not sure what your issues re McAllister and Price are but here’s some views. McAllister is 20 , so a year older than Price , different types of players , they’re not “ rivals” , Price is younger and better than McAllister in my view . Price wouldn’t have been worried about McAllister stifling his progress, he was ahead of him.

Two midfielders in McAllister‘s age group are Tyler Onyango and Lewis Warrington, both also 20 , both more highly rated by the club than McAllister and as such have been out on loan in League 1 this season. Onyango you may recall got some PL minutes in the same game as Thierry Small. McAllister has only played u21 football, he’s a tidy midfielder but nothing spectacular, he’s captained both our u18s and u21s, he’s got a good work ethic about him and scores the odd goal or two. But he’s 21 in September and needs a loan out to progress his career, although we may keep him in the u21 squad as a regular captain , he’s the type of solid player you often need when you have a young squad at u21s even if they’re nowhere near first team ready.

Very, very few players come through our Academy to be regular first team squad players, in terms of “ midfielders “ McAllister for me is behind Onyango, Warrington, the injured Charlie Whitaker and the promising youngster Jenson Metcalfe. I would love for more of our youngsters to make it , including McAllister , but all the evidence to date says he’s not showing anything that meets a realistic criteria for him succeeding at PL level.

I’m not sure what your issues re McAllister and Price are but here’s some views. McAllister is 20 , so a year older than Price , different types of players , they’re not “ rivals” , Price is younger and better than McAllister in my view . Price wouldn’t have been worried about McAllister stifling his progress, he was ahead of him.

Two midfielders in McAllister‘s age group are Tyler Onyango and Lewis Warrington, both also 20 , both more highly rated by the club than McAllister and as such have been out on loan in League 1 this season. Onyango you may recall got some PL minutes in the same game as Thierry Small. McAllister has only played u21 football, he’s a tidy midfielder but nothing spectacular, he’s captained both our u18s and u21s, he’s got a good work ethic about him and scores the odd goal or two. But he’s 21 in September and needs a loan out to progress his career, although we may keep him in the u21 squad as a regular captain , he’s the type of solid player you often need when you have a young squad at u21s even if they’re nowhere near first team ready.

Very, very few players come through our Academy to be regular first team squad players, in terms of “ midfielders “ McAllister for me is behind Onyango, Warrington, the injured Charlie Whitaker and the promising youngster Jenson Metcalfe. I would love for more of our youngsters to make it , including McAllister , but all the evidence to date says he’s not showing anything that meets a realistic criteria for him succeeding at PL level.
If this club loan out youngsters it's not because they rate them it's to get a fee.

I think something maybe being missed in the McAllister conversation is that the coaching staff were experimenting with him at right back in the 21s which probably put him in a good position to train with the first team when Coleman and Patterson went down.

For what it's worth i think he's a solid player, could well have a decent football league career, lower end probably. Will be interesting to see if he settles at right back next season similar to how Hunt has this year.

How good do you think Whitaker & Warrington could be? Cheers for the info.

Really like the look of Metcalfe, got a bit about him.
Warrington is an interesting one as well , always liked what I gave seen of him.

How good do you think Whitaker & Warrington could be? Cheers for the info.
Really like the look of Metcalfe, got a bit about him.
Warrington is an interesting one as well , always liked what I gave seen of him.
All three have been hit with injuries. Whitaker in particular has missed a lot of time, he‘s a different type of player than Cannon but a couple of years ago was out scoring and definitely looking more promising than Cannon in the u21s. I see people moaning that Davies is blocking Warrington’s path , I haven’t really seen him much lately with his loans , but there’s a big leap from being an effective , combative midfielder in League 1 and the PL. James Vaughan has been looking at all the loan players , so we’ll know more about how they rate him in preseason.

Of all the young midfielders Metcalfe looks the most promising, although he’s struggled to get back to full fitness after his most recent injury and didn’t look anywhere near his best at the end of the season or out in India. A full preseason will do him good , and hopefully get him in and around the first team.