Match Thread Everton vs Ruzemberok, Thursday 27th July, 8.05pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if it will be pretty much the same team for the second leg, should of had a friendly for all the players not involved last night at the weekend.

I thought it interesting last night how slow some of the players looked. Rooney for one looked miles off the pace, you could tell cos he kept falling over and mis-controlling stuff. He did better when he moved further back cos they were all shattered and suddenly we had other players to do the running. Not a good sign if he's supposed to have been in training to get in shape.

Martina looked very poor. Like he didn't have a clue poor. He gave the ball away loads and was always out of position. Everything they did came down his side, and they're not a good side by any stretch.

DCL looks about a foot taller than I remembered him from last season. I'd have rather seen him central and Rooney start wider to be honest, if he was going to start at all.

Williams, Klaassen and Mirallas all looked off the pace as well.

Gueye and Schneiderlin looked quality as always and both Keane and Baines looked decent.

Sandro looked really hungry for it, and quick of mind and body as well. Hopefully he starts next week cos we had a lot more movement when he came on.

I was very impressed by the quality Ruzemberok displayed (yes, granted we were only average, but they could/should have scored once or even twice). I am very worried about the return leg; it has 'Everton that' written all over it. Thus, I think protecting what we have must be first and foremost. As regards the pollen, there are many countries I have to visit on business where it takes me a couple of days to settle down my histaminic reactions to all the different allergens in their air. And when I visit the tropics it similarly takes me two-three days to acclimatise to the heat. I do not know if Everton have players who suffer similarly, but it is better to be prepared. Hence, I advise them to take a very conservative tactical approach.

Fair enough. I just think sitting back for 90 minutes is risky.

Fair enough. I just think sitting back for 90 minutes is risky.
On principle, I don't disagree with you mate. I guess my position (as regards the return leg), is purely practical. To be honest, I thought our fitness levels do not look 'all that' (and in Tubby Ashley's case, they look dire)...I do not think we are presently aerobically equipped to play expansive football; hence my conservative tactical approach.

All we need is 1 goal on the away leg and we'll get that, as Ruzem will come out of their shell a little to score.

Also, for all the bedwetting over last night's performance, it was our first real game, guys wanted to impress, jittery, etc. Usually we have games like this in the first game of the season. We're getting them out of the way now.

Agree...he was invisible last night

Can I be the 94th to point out that ITV4 showed him in close up sitting behind Sandro on the bench at least 3 if not 4 times last night.

More interesting than what was going on on the pitch in truth .....

Status
Not open for further replies.