Match Thread Everton vs Ruzemberok, Thursday 27th July, 8.05pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if the club go out at this stage?

I'm in two minds on this: it could be good in that the extra games aren't an issue this season; it could be bad in terms of a blow to morale.

Just another reason for avoiding this competition like the plague.

It would be a catastrophe. Screw the extra matches, we aren't sniffing 4th this season so Europa is all we got.

It would be a catastrophe. Screw the extra matches, we aren't sniffing 4th this season so Europa is all we got.

It would certainly leave a big first team squad with a lot of players not getting games and lead to a bit of commotion imo.

I'm in two minds on this: it could be good in that the extra games aren't an issue this season; it could be bad in terms of a blow to morale.

It'd be awful to go out at this stage, or the next round, bare minimum group stage.

Like you suggested far too big a blow for morale, west hams season was over before it started last year after getting beat by some no marks at this stage last year, wasn't too long after that their best player throne his toys out the pram and wanted off, too many detrimental effects for any positives to come out of going out.

It might also impact on acquiring players if we go out early.

I think some expected far too much.
These lads have never played together in a competitive match before.
Give it a two or three more games then we see the real thing.
Not suggesting we will be world beaters, just better than that.

I suppose this is the definition of a sad attitude on the world. "Things might not work out, so its better to not even try for glory, and to hope we dont even have a shot at it"

Must be sad to view everything that way and never aspire to anything.

Hear what your saying and to be honest every English team that has participated in it has suffered poor form in the league. Apparently there is a top 7. With the squad we have assembled, we are unlikely to go backwards. However the club is trying to raise its profile, there is no better stage to do that than in Europe. Furthermore in my mind we have more chance of attaining CL football through winning the EL, then gaining it through our league position allowing for the extra games we are going to play.

I suppose this is the definition of a sad attitude on the world. "Things might not work out, so its better to not even try for glory, and to hope we dont even have a shot at it"

Must be sad to view everything that way and never aspire to anything.
Glory? This is the EL qualification round mate.

Hear what your saying and to be honest every English team that has participated in it has suffered poor form in the league. Apparently there is a top 7. With the squad we have assembled, we are unlikely to go backwards. However the club is trying to raise its profile, there is no better stage to do that than in Europe. Furthermore in my mind we have more chance of attaining CL football through winning the EL, then gaining it through our league position allowing for the extra games we are going to play.

Overall, if discipline can be maintained in a group of players not getting a lot of game time, we'd be netter off out of the EL early. Go for the extra 15 points we needed last season to get a 4th place spot and target at least one of the domestic cups. That should be the goal.

Overall, if discipline can be maintained in a group of players not getting a lot of game time, we'd be netter off out of the EL early. Go for the extra 15 points we needed last season to get a 4th place spot and target at least one of the domestic cups. That should be the goal.
For that to happen it's going take either two of the following: United, city, Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs to drop out of the top 4 (I don't expect Arsenal to make the top 4). I'd say that is unlikely, so to me winning the EL is the best chance. Out of curiously, which of those teams do you expect to finish out of the top 4? If Liverpool sell Coutinho I'd say them, alternatively if Spurs don't invest in their squad and the Wembley factor to consider, I'd say Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.