Match Thread Everton v Watford, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually we are up against a gritty Watford side who wants to make amends to their first game lost and then trailing one goal. With pre-game determination and desperation, they really put up a good game in smothering our midfield, our passes and possessions. In fact they played our game, our pressing game better than we did with them. Our defence barely held on to the clean sheet streak which Pickford is dying to preserve with the "facial" save! Overall we need to adapt and react to this high tempo game in the future as we clearly have individual flairs and skills to do so. COYB!

Watford and Crystal away are very difficult fixtures to start against, we get 4 points and most people here are gloom and doom.

Also, I'd really like to know our points % after Marco decided on this line-up of bernard(left) sig richy (right) DCL. (after he dropped walcott), seems like we've had a top5 performance ever since he did that in the turn of last year. I could be wrong.
Think we first had that as the front 3 at the end of the derby, Richarlison didn’t start and we looked deadly when he brought him on for Theo

Started with it pretty much every game since

I only saw a bit of the first half. Bernard's finish was a nice one even if it was aided by just enough deflection. Digne's ball on that goal was boss though.

Wish I'd been able to see Kean. Seems like a handful to defend.

It never even looked a pen on the TV tbh mate but I've seen others in the GS end say they thought it was.

It was actually a good call from Mason and VAR checked straight away.

But, Mina never touched the ball (or player), so why the VAR official didn't then isntruct Mason to give a GK is beyond me.

VAR - the technology - works. It's the dreadful and inconsistent officials who ruin it.
I was Upper GS and everyone around me groaned and expected a penalty.

That aside, very impressed with Mina yesterday, a proper no nonsense defender.

Ground out a win, 2 games 4 points no goals conceded and on to Villa next Friday. Keane was superb throughout and the other Kean came on and was a handful. He looks very promising.

Reflecting on the match yesterday. Not a great performance. But a win is a win. At this stage in the season teams are striving for sharpness and fitness. We're obviously fitter than (say) 2 weeks ago. But not sharp enough yet. It'll come.
4 points from 2 games is good. Yes, could've been 6, but we'll take it. Drew at home with Watford last season, so better this time. A win on friday and it'll be a very good start.

Last edited:
Reflecting on the match yesterday. Not a great performance. But a win is a win. At this stage in the season teams are striving for sharpness and fitness. We're obviously fitter than (say) 2 weeks ago. But not sharp enough yet. It'll come.
4 points from 2 games is good. Yes, could've been 6, but we'll take it. Drew at home with Watford last season, so better this time. A win on friday and it'll be a very good start.

That's the key, winning next Friday and then we can deffo say its been a decent start.

I know we wont be anywhere close to winning the league but I'd like to stay as close to the rs, City etc for as long as possible just so when it gets serious we are right in the mix in the top 6. Nothing worse than after 4/6 games where we are already 6/8 points away from the top couple of teams.

3-0 to the Toffees next week Everton

I might be old school mate, but IMO it's up to those players on the pitch who are paid an absolute fortune to give us something to shout about.

Since the derby in March, the support has been great. Everyone has really got into the spirit of it and got behind the players. And we've went unbeaten at home. I'm not sure if we've even conceded.

I say we need to keep doing what we've been doing in the last 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.