Match Thread Everton v Watford, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, really bad.

They decided to go long quite early on when for the last 15/20mins of the first half and long periods in the second half they were causing us a lot of problems.

JP Gbamin getting a lot of praise and I think he had a few good moments and showed potential but he seems like he’s still a bit short of being up to EPL speed and he cost us a bit in midfield, Gomes probably better disciplined than JP but I def think a lot of that starting IX have a few more gears to go. Our defence is looking good, hopefully Digne not badly hurt.

...perhaps I have it wrong, but it looks like we are defending deep to me. A good indicator is the amount of offsides, i don’t remember seeing many. It’s understandable to protect our lack of pace, but it’s more difficult to put teams under pressure for prolonged periods or spring from the back.

What we gain defensively, we lose from an attacking perspective. I might have this wrong, but if i’m right it’s something we have to accept until we get some pace in central defence.

We’re quite aggressive defensively - not Chelsea or City like - but we don’t defend deep

...perhaps I have it wrong, but it looks like we are defending deep to me. A good indicator is the amount of offsides, i don’t remember seeing many. It’s understandable to protect our lack of pace, but it’s more difficult to put teams under pressure for prolonged periods or spring from the back.

What we gain defensively, we lose from an attacking perspective. I might have this wrong, but if i’m right it’s something we have to accept until we get some pace in central defence.
I agree with both posters we sat in a bit the last 20 minutes but anything earlier Pickford was anle to mop up because they were not too high up the pitch

Siggurdsson still looks like he’s waiting for pre season to start. Apart from the last few minutes snide he’s a passenger. Next area to be improved.

I want Imogi to have plenty of game time but it must not be to the detriment of game time for Bernard, who is our most industrious player, and also our player with the most skill, awareness, and flair. Nice problem(of many) for Marco. We are getting a very good group of players together and we also have another ingredient in abundance...grit.

Really pleased with the win, great goal from Bernard.

I thought we started the second half too slowly and a better side might've punished us.

Pickford made some important saves, Gbamin looked pretty good and Bernard is a terrific worker. A promising glimpse at what Kean can bring to us.

Still plenty of room for improvement

Thought we looked disjointed today and outplayed through the middle of the park, if it were not for a combination of good defending and poor finishing we would have been beaten today.

Kean looked good when he came on, battled, worked and had 2 chances, the second one went just past the post and could have made things safe. I think Bernard looked great and Sigurdsson kept going all game. On the plus side we have our first win of the season and only 36 points to safety :drunk::dance:

12 wins can we manage that?

For me also seem to be too much passing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.