Match Thread Everton v Tottenham Hotspur - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Richy looks disinterested, I think he's just struggling with a bad season. I think we underestimate sometimes what it might be like for players to be away from family & friends - particularly in 2020/21 - (and Brazil is suffering badly with the virus) - and if he's also not having a good time on the pitch, where does he go for support and development. I doubt he would take Dunc as a mentor, but I'm sure people like James, Allan, Ancelotti, Davide Ancelotti are working on him. He still needs 2 seasons in a row with us with 15 goals / 10 assists or similar, before he becomes the world star he wants to be.
Whilst I agree about the mental aspect I just don't feel he possesses the skills to be a world star. He's a good premiership player but not a great player. He wouldn't even get on City's bench.

Proper gutted thought we were great last night, gave away 2 daft goals but did more than enough to win. That’s probably it for Europe now I reckon, still a chance of course but we need to be pretty much perfect now.

Credit to James, Sigurdsson, Allan and Davies last night. Coleman too when he came on.

Europe will be tough considering our goal difference, we are 9 GD worse off than West Ham who is the next team with the lowest GD in the top 8. Its double figures after that....

Form is 3 wins in 11 PL games (13 points from 33) and 4 wins from 13 in all competitions. We are lucky to still be in the top 8! The next game against Arsenal is crucial, they are playing Fulham at home tomorrow and most likely will go to within a point of us.

If you are losing to Southampton, Newcastle twice, Leeds, Fulham & Burnley and only drawing with Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton then you do have to be beating the likes of Vila, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Leicester, Man Utd and Man City. I think we are doing OK against the top 8/9 teams but that carries a massive risk. I don`t need to tell you that the games against lesser opposition at home and our home form generally has massively cost us this season. Probably cost us Europe, out of everything I thought would cost us before the season started, home form would have been bottom of that list.

At home: 16 games taking just 19 points, our home form ranks us 14 with a GD of -3. 5 wins 4 draws & 7 losses. Not suprisingly the top home teams are City, West Ham, Man Ure, Chelsea, LIverpool, Tottenham & Leicester. (1.19 PPG)

Away: 15 games taking 30 points, away form ranks us 4th with a GD of +6. 9 wins, 3 draws and just 3 losses. The only teams better than us on the road are City, Man Ure and Leicester. (2.00 PPG)

Against bottom 10 teams: 16 games against teams currently in the bottom half of the league which has yielded 30 points from 48 available (1.88 PPG).

Against top 10 teams: 15 games against teams currently in the top 10 of the table has yielded 19 points (1.27 PPG)

3 home games left (3*1.19=3.57) and 4 away games left (4*2.00=8) should give us an estimated 11/12 points taking our total to 60 or 61. What is that good enough for? Still do-able? I guess we will have to wait and see........

Europe will be tough considering our goal difference, we are 9 GD worse off than West Ham who is the next team with the lowest GD in the top 8. Its double figures after that....

Form is 3 wins in 11 PL games (13 points from 33) and 4 wins from 13 in all competitions. We are lucky to still be in the top 8! The next game against Arsenal is crucial, they are playing Fulham at home tomorrow and most likely will go to within a point of us.

If you are losing to Southampton, Newcastle twice, Leeds, Fulham & Burnley and only drawing with Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton then you do have to be beating the likes of Vila, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Leicester, Man Utd and Man City. I think we are doing OK against the top 8/9 teams but that carries a massive risk. I don`t need to tell you that the games against lesser opposition at home and our home form generally has massively cost us this season. Probably cost us Europe, out of everything I thought would cost us before the season started, home form would have been bottom of that list.

At home: 16 games taking just 19 points, our home form ranks us 14 with a GD of -3. 5 wins 4 draws & 7 losses. Not suprisingly the top home teams are City, West Ham, Man Ure, Chelsea, LIverpool, Tottenham & Leicester. (1.19 PPG)

Away: 15 games taking 30 points, away form ranks us 4th with a GD of +6. 9 wins, 3 draws and just 3 losses. The only teams better than us on the road are City, Man Ure and Leicester. (2.00 PPG)

Against bottom 10 teams: 16 games against teams currently in the bottom half of the league which has yielded 30 points from 48 available (1.88 PPG).

Against top 10 teams: 15 games against teams currently in the top 10 of the table has yielded 19 points (1.27 PPG)

3 home games left (3*1.19=3.57) and 4 away games left (4*2.00=8) should give us an estimated 11/12 points taking our total to 60 or 61. What is that good enough for? Still do-able? I guess we will have to wait and see........
60/61 points was enough the last time we qualified for European football.

Funny you calling them ‘tap in’s’ though - both were further out than any goal DCL has scored in the entire season.

But DCL's goals were also tap ins. And there is nothing wrong with scoring a tap in either, but it's just frustrating he had to do nothing to get those chances as we passed the ball straight to him.

Absolute dog of a player that holjberg, Allans a class above
I like Hojbjerg, screens the defense well, breaks up play and is always communicating on the pitch (not the weird arm moving gesturing thing that looks good on camera, but actual instructions).

One point last night he was giving it to his back three for dropping off him, dropping too deep allowing Rodriguez to slide passes either side of him and get at their goal.

Of course, I would take Allan over him all day long, but he's effective at what he does.

We had enough chances to win 3 games. The forwards aren’t good enough and the centre backs aren’t good enough. Only so much the manager can do, he can’t help having two bottle jobs at the back and one up top.
Until this game I thought defence was doing OK. Put under pressure by midfield with some daft pass backs. I'd go for max arrons unless he has others in mind. Hugh clear out this summer, he must have made his mind up by now

Sounds ridiculous but the result doesn't bother me. That performance was, in a good way, a world away from most of the utter dross of the past few months. Yes obviously there were errors but for the first time in what has felt like ages, we delivered an attacking performance and looked desperate to win. Personally I think we've effed up our season because of how bad we've been last few months, but it was so refreshing to see that last night.

Beggars belief how we've contrived to play so badly in so many games, because when we're at it we can give pretty much anyone a game.

Just watched last night's goals on youtube.

Our pen was 'dodgy', but then we've had enough not given in recent years which were blatant...

Still can't believe how spawny their equaliser was. A good clearing header hits the back of one of our players, and drops perfectly for Kane. Absolute fluke, and totally spawny.

Status
Not open for further replies.