Everton v Lille/Porto Sat/Sun 21/22 July 8pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besic is ahead of Tom Davies for a starting 11 spot in my opinion. Besic is really the only high point for me so far.

We need more creativity on the ball. I hope Silva brings in 1 or two intelligent players who can put their foot on the ball and create chances.

No surprises on who needs shipping out. Silva and Brands will need 3 or 4 transfer windows to turn this team around.

This.I've never seen the love for Vlasic to be honest. People say he's not been given a chance but on the basis of tonight's performance you have admit he ain't all that good.
I see a bit of talent and wanted to see him get a shot. He's had a bit of a chance and it hasn't gone well but I wouldn't bin him yet. Might be well served by a loan

First of all, this isn't the same Everton. It's night and day stylistically. We created a ton of chances, just didn't have great attacking players to take advantage of the space the scheme was creating. Mirallas had chances, but a better player probably has a goal and a couple assists with the time and space he had. We have two better that play that left side - one here and one coming.

After letting that performance digest for a while, here's my thoughts:

The good
Looked decent in the first half, pressed well and it was good to see some real movement and forward thinking from the midfield. We created some really good chances and Sandro looked much improved.

The bad
We drifted away in the second half. Some players drifted out of the game for long spells. Possibly due to fitness/match sharpness not being 100%.
We really lack a cutting edge up front. We created plenty of opportunities but lacked that killer blow when it mattered.
And to the surprise of absolutely no-one, our defence looked very shaky.

Conclusion
I think this match reinforced a lot of what we already know. We need decent defenders in and someone who can unlock doors in attack.

On a positive note, if we can maintain our first half showing and build on that, then the new system looks much better. Also, Porto are no chumps, they have some excellent players and if we'd been more clinical in the first half, we could have won this comfortably.

Lots to improve on, but some positive signs.

Need a 2 x new CB. Richarlison is just some sort of bonus. Keane is the tin soldier, you poms place outside your Buckinghim Palace

Oh and agreed with the Besic shouts. Sigurdsson in the AM role, Schneiderlin as the 6 meaning likely one of Besic/Davies plays the 8.

Also means that Klaassen/Macca need moved on....If that is even possible

He was using the game to watch the players not win "silverware" ffs. It was a typical preseason run out not the CL final.

Not saying he was but surely he's gotta work out how we can actually score goals from open play and after the 65 min mark it was clear something needed changing. If he can't do that in pre season then what chance has he got when the season starts. Winning breeds confidence. He's already stated he already has knows what the players are capable of so he needs to work out a winning system.

Status
Not open for further replies.