Everton v Lille/Porto Sat/Sun 21/22 July 8pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn’t glaringly obvious before these pre season games, surely it is to him now, just how badly we need actual footballers at the club! People who are able to do......something with the ball :oops:
Don’t envy Silva or Brands. A lot of work needed to sort this squad out.

Oh yeah, Silva out!!! Booo! etc

Pros:
We had a bit of a shape and system first half.

We created some chances

Sandro looked like he at least could cut it at irish league level. A vast improvement on my previous assessment of impact sub in the Sunday league.

Mirallas performed to an acceptable level (see cons for further detail).

Schneiderlin very good. Looked aggressive.

We looked fit and strong in the heat and that will be a long term benefit you'd hope.

Cons

No cutting edge. 2 games. No goals.

Set play defending looked ropey.

Keane gets worse and worse.

Vlasic looks lost.

Baines legs gone despite some classy touches.

The ref.

Jags still looks our best defender. In 2018. Mad.

Mirallas probably will con the management into keeping him.

Final thoughts:

Looking forward to seeing new arrivals and exits. Walcott Sigurdsson and JP will be welcome returns too. No time to panic. We already knew most of our fringe players are dross. Time to cull and look forward to the future with a new style of aggressive attacking football.

2nd half was garbage but decent bit if work in the first. Lots of improvement needed but some good players to come back in and hopefully Mina, Richarlison and Digne to come in also.

Sandro not done enough for me but Dowell should see a lot of game time under Silva.

Think it was a case of Porto going up a gear mate, and pressing us higher up the pitch.

I would obviously be happy for both to leave. But if I'm Silva and only feel I can move on one of Vlasic and Sandro then it's probably Vlasic I would loan out. He just doesn't have the physical presence and can't cope at this level.

Expect early next week will see movement on the player front, both in and out. Get Walcott, Sigurdsson & Gana back into the fold for Blackburn and we should start looking healthier.

Just got in for second half. Terrifying. Any half arsed press and we're absolutely clueless, all over the shop.

Players to come in but I'll be happy with mid table safety for couple of seasons till we get rid of the toxic mix of mercenaries and misfits and give Silva/Brands chance to shape a squad.

And we are surprised nothing has changed, why? Same dressing room, same sense of entitlement, same comfort zone for many, same avoidance of responsibility. These lads have in the main seen three managers off with the blame associated for consistently underwhelming performances on the man charged with getting them to suggest they are actually a good team who are being mismanaged.

Now,I ain’t no bedwetter, I also know the hot seat has proven too hot for the past few incumbents, but there has been a lack of accountability of too many, for too long, by those who have had the privilege of representing the first team Everton Football Club. The new managerial arrangements can not arrest that complacency in six weeks, it will take time and a different & honest relationship between fans, players, owners and coaching personnel to translate words and visions to a competitive and winning side. Perhaps the ingredients are already there in the main and simply need nurturing, but if they are it’s not immediately obvious.

This will take time, there is no quick fix. Deal with it, we ain’t great based on what we have turning out at the moment, I know that & so do you, but it seems the building blocks are now there for a deliberate strategy and longer term view on our fortunes. Let’s the new team see what is there, make a call on those and then buy players who fit their vision of what they want and how we’ll play rather than buying players who are available or can be obtained. It’ll be eventful regardless, fed up of our under achievievemwnt on short term ventures, so I’m hoping this time we give it enough time and that progress is made. Let’s see.

jesus, are you for real?

Didn't see the point of putting on Besic and Niasse at the 85 min mark. Should have been on a lot earlier as we were showing no attacking threat. If your chasing the game then Silva needs to be making positive changes earlier. Porto changed 4 to our 1 at one point. Silva seemed to have no answer to them pushing up and not giving us any space to play.
We can't seem to play when under pressure and we are completely devoid of ideas in the final third.
We were linked with that Brahimi of theirs last year but I think he would be wasted on us as he was making some good link up play but I don't think we have the players to pull that off

He was using the game to watch the players not win "silverware" ffs. It was a typical preseason run out not the CL final.

Just got in for second half. Terrifying. Any half arsed press and we're absolutely clueless, all over the shop.

Players to come in but I'll be happy with mid table safety for couple of seasons till we get rid of the toxic mix of mercenaries and misfits and give Silva/Brands chance to shape a squad.

based on the second half of a friendly against a near full strength porto side.

Every time I see Keane, he just seems to be always looking out the other centre back when he should be looking at his own game.

I am not saying this is why he is pants but you never see Williams or Jagelka helping him out ever.

Get a decent centre back who has a left foot and some pace and you will see the best of Keane.

Lookman, Walcott, richarlison, gana, siggy, possibly mina and digne will improve us massively. 7 players that can come in and make a difference. We were excellent 1st half, not so much second half. Way better than last pre seasons 'performances'

Status
Not open for further replies.