Everton v F.C. Porto, August 3rd, KO 16:00pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furey1878

Player Valuation: £70m
Little over two weeks remain until Everton begin their 2014/15 campaign, one which will span not only across the realm but across the continent, testing ourselves in Europe after four long years. So it's quite fitting that the customary Goodison friendly take place against Porto, a team who've a proud history in Europe. Yet lest we forget why we're here, we've just signed Luka... I mean, Leon Osman is celebrating ten years of service in royal blue. More on him to follow, but first, our guests.

0134_campucl1987.jpg

Porto are among the 'big 3' Portuguese clubs, with 27 Primeira Liga titles to their name, second only to Benfica's 33 titles. However, their success in Europe outdoes that of their rivals as they boast 2 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups and a Super Cup. The Portuguese Celtic they may be, but they've made enough of a statement outside of Portugal to be taken seriously. Furthermore, if there's one thing Porto do exceptionally well, it's develop top players and genuine world class talent, making a fortune in the process. In recent years talents such as James (Hamez) Rodriguez, Pepe, Carvalho, Quaresma, Deco and Falcao have all either been Porto youth products or bought at a young age, and have all been sold for a ridiculous profit. Let's not forget dear Jose, either. Mourinho made his name in management by taking a Porto side, with Nuno Valente playing at Left-Back, on to win the UEFA Cup and European Cup in successive seasons. Impressive. To summarise, this is the type of opposition we hope to be playing more frequently.

porto-afp.jpg

LEON! LEON! LEON!

It's been over 10 years since Leon Osman's brief cameo-debut at White Heart Lane and his headed goal on his debut start at Molineux. In his time at the club he's produced some important and wonderful goals, his finest seasons coming perhaps in our quest for 4th in 2004/05 and the Euro-Trip of 2007/08 which was cut tragically short. This is a player, while physically limited, has stood the test of time with neat technical ability and a habit of grabbing us a goal. Many will argue against how much he has been played, particularly in his latter years and I'd agree to some extent, I do still think he'll be a good option off of the bench and in Europe in the season ahead. In Osman, we've always been assured of a player who will give it his all and lead the team when needed. And as such he's worthy of a testimonial in this Blue's book.

10520669_10152166280806277_3744629609140096890_n.jpg

With that in mind, his testimonial has came at a most opportune time as in the last week Everton have signed Besic, like proper signed him, and have gone and spent £28 million on Lukaku in the same casual manner. Facetiousness aside, twenty-eight million pounds sterling has been spent by Everton, on a striker, with no outgoings (so far). And I'm not jesting, squire. Now that you've presumably taken a few minutes to process the above information, we can resume discussing just how awesome Everton are, it's a big statement, and I bet there are more signings to come (on loan, mind). Everton fully intend to make a real go at challenging the coveted top 4 positions and also intend to acquire some overdue and very much needed silverware.

We'll ignore that dire Chang-Land friendly against Leicester and any Porto line-up predictions to save ourselves time and embarrassment respectively.

Besic, Barkley, Jags, Baines, T-How and possibly Rom could all make appearances in this game. Word is that one Anthony Hibbert may be on penalty/free-kick duty, so there's plenty to look forward to as the Toffees grace Goodison for the first time in months. Ultimately, this game is about players getting match fitness, testing ourselves against an established European opposition, raising money for charity and paying respects to a player that has served Everton well over the past 10 years. Enjoy it Leon. Also if it wouldn't too much to ask, wipe the floor with FC Latino-Celtic please, Everton.

I'll be there! Reckon the place will be buzzing on the back of everything that's happened this week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.