Everton v Benfica - Thursday 5th November @ 8.00pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather depressed after last night and as Monty says they were all 1st squad players so no0 excuses. First half was better, 2nd was yuck.

Here is my take on the game.

1. Our play was characterised by poor passing, either speculative kicks, to a marked player, or quite simply giving the ball away.

2. Rodwell's passing stank, and he had very little command in midfield. He has to do a hell of a lot better. Beginning to think will another 2 or 3 years make any difference?? Harvey at his age was a whole lot better.

3. Upfront our strikers were toothless.

4. Upfront did any of them think of running into space to create opportunities for the midfield to pass to.

5. Our pair of CBs were woeful and leave a lot to be desired. I believe even if Jags does come back soon, pairing him with either Yobo or Distin is not going to be as solid as last year when he was partnered with you know who. I wish Moyes had gone for Cahill or Shawcross, either of these would have been better than Distin. WE have IMO a CB problem.

6. Yak was for me not fit but neither were any chances really created for him.

7. Jo is so useless I am speechless that anyone could call him a footballer.

8. We were at GP so why did we play 4-5-1 or is it 4-3-2-1 rather we had come out with 4-4-2 and had 2 strikers and Gosling who really was ineffectual left on the bench . I honestly have doubts aboiut him.

I know we have injuries but that does not excuse our sloppy play, as for the goals I point the finger at our pair of CBs

Going to stop my rant just there, so cheesed of with them.

And what the hell was up with Billys free kick in the second half?

Decent position for either a shot or a chipped ball into the box and what does he do? Tries a blind pass to Hibbert which is bad enough in istelf but even worse is he missed and it went straight out.

Farce.

No you are wrong it was a brilliant idea for Hibbert when he got the ball to get behind the defence and cross it. It did not work because Hibbert was day dreaming and not paying attention.

I've sat for sometime trying to compose myself after that debacle............injuries are an excuse up to a point but that side had many first teamers in it but it still didn't flow, players acted like strangers to each other, the entire team lacked rhythm and purpose. It is a waste of time blaming any one player on the park as they are all guilty of the same fault..............................bereft of ideas the bloody lot of them! I'm worried, very worried when I see proven professionals turn in a gutless performance akin to the one we saw tonight.......................the finger must be pointed and it can only be aimed at the manager. I suspect that Moyes rallying cry style is no longer working with the players he has available, Yakubu was glad he came off (so was I), no one overly upset at the end as though they had expected to be played off the park. I said after Lisbon that we'd give them a good run at home..............boy was I wrong big style.......................that team lacks guts, co-ordination and spirit I was ashamed of them tonight, very ashamed:(:(:mad::mad:(n)

I've just looked back at my posting last night and in the cold light of day I can confirm that I wouldn't change that one iota(n)(n)

No you are wrong it was a brilliant idea for Hibbert when he got the ball to get behind the defence and cross it. It did not work because Hibbert was day dreaming and not paying attention.

I think you're nearly right there. I don't think a lot would have resulted from a chip from such a straight-on angle, and a sneaky pass to Hibbert to cross from a much better angle, in absolutely loads of space was the better ploy. Hibbert was indeed in some sort of coma when the ball was played (broadly) in his direction - I mean what's the point of standing in space when you neither want nor expect to get the ball ???

The bit where I disagree is that, even if he had been conscious, I don't think Hibbert could possibly have got to the ball that was hit very firmly a long way in front of him. The incident just encapsulated the way we are at the moment - one player standing and watching instead of anticipating and trying to participate, and another player having a good idea but making a total balls of the execution.

I agree. Rodwell is gonna be class. But he doesn't give the back 4 insurance at the moment. We paniced at the back last night everytime the ball came in our half.

Other players such as cahill or yobo aren't even stepping up to lead either.

I did think fellaini played well though. But why yak was playing wide left in large chuncks of the game I don't know... He was rarely in the box.

That's a good thing for me, not only is it part of his natural game (Yakubu always drifts out to the left) but it shows he's got the hunger and bottle to get on the ball and show for his teammates.

He could easily stand there and be an out and out striker but it isn't his game, he wants to get involved and with a midfield like ours that's needed.

Yakubu tired and got frustrating as the game went on but he had the right ideas, he's a proper footballer, one of the few we have at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.