Match Thread Everton v Arsenal - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had scored early against Arsenal 6 months ago I guarantee we would not have held on. Performances have improved and everyone looks United. We actually look like a team and a decent one at that. I'm not getting ahead of myself because consistency and Everton don't usually go in the same sentence but this is why I've been saying all along that we have to stick with the manager and that it's a process. If we had sacked him in January like most had suggested we'd be back on that merry go round. I'm not advocating he's going to get it right, I'm advocating he needs to be judged over a longer time scale and I'm talking about 2-3 seasons.

I had the most dubious pleasure of Jim Beglin co-commentating on this game. Tell me its not just NZ that has to put up with this twit. He was his typical smug self. He got very excited at the goal; saw a toe creep over the line and be ome the font of all football knowledge. More of the same at half time. Only when it got to MOtD did someone figure out that they had best explain that FIFA had amended the laws around throw ins. Come on, if you are going to be a pundit, offer expert opinions then at least know the laws of the game if you are going to comment on them.

While Im banging on (beer o'clock here and still celebrating) I thought the ref was good. Spotted their cynical play, didnt buy into play acting etc. The Mustafi one on DcL was close but i thought he sussed them out early.

Got the game saved so might watch it all again very soon.
I watched it on the same channel here in Ireland. He was unreal going on about the throw ins. expect nothing less. They hate seen us do well

Beteween DCL, Bernard and Gomes for MOTM for me. Gomes gets my final vote. DCL would have got it with better finishing and at times less selfish/more aware play. Bernard is hitting some great form, Lookman must be wondering when he's going to get a start.
In
Brilliant performance! Absolutely made up.. funny that im disappointed it was only 1-0. Hopefully this form continues
spot mate, I was weirdly angry that we had only beaten them by one goal, our peformance, and their theatrics deserved a far heavier beating. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful team club performance (as opposed to team performance)! The team were terrific to a man, including the subs; the coaching staff looked like they had been on the special brew all day and were spoiling for a fight; the crowd were superb, proper angry and extremely vocal; even the media team, for bringing the sirens into it (I admit, the first time I heard them I thought it a bit naff, but it seems to have a positive effect, so long may it continue). All in all, the best day of the season so far for me, I enjoyed every minute of it and it felt great leaving the ground with everybody buzzing! Keep it up everyone, and this season may finish on a high after all!

So many high points from yesterday. Bernard's cheeky flick to Gomes, Seamus getting a standing ovation just for shepherding the ball out of play, and of course grandad Jags getting the winner.

Went for Gomes for MoM for his class but think the real MVP was the young lad repeatedly shouting "Go on Gylfi lad!" when he was taking a corner.

Anyone found decent highlights?

This is all you need really

tumblr_opxsuuayS61tjqod5o1_400.gif

I understand how people feel aggrieved at us not getting the recognition we deserve after a cracking performance, but the media want to squeeze all of the excitement in the run up to the end of the season. Arsenal’s performance for the wrong reasons fits in with their agenda to keep talking about the fight for top 4. Personally happy for us to go under the radar, loving how much the players are putting into each and every game now. Unsure what’s changed, but there is a genuine energy to fight for each other. Schmeical acknowledged that we could have won by 3,5 or 5 with a finisher. He’s right and if we add a goal scorer, we will put ourselves in a position to be talked about.

With that last comment, I don’t want to take anything away from DCL’s performance or growth, but he does need help. Hopefully he can start slotting on the reg and become the hero we need.

Honestly think Richarlison had a great game, he's making Coleman look like the player he can be, by supporting him and tracking back, I never thought he could be that disciplined. Same on the other side with Bernard - he was everywhere yesterday - and Digne. In the middle, Gylfi had a quietly influential game, ran his cojones off and supported the excellent DCL and midfield. Gana was superb, but Gomes, what a player. Take nothing away from any of them, but Gomes was just sublime.

Special mention to Zouma and Jags - I think that's all of them, except Pickford, who was confident and capable throughout.

All in all, a bloody good win and should have been a proper beating. Oh, the crowd, they have woken up - must be the sirens.

Well well well Everton. 7 points from Reds, Chelsea and Arsenal. Yesterday was one of the best performances in a long time. 5 clean sheets in 6 games and looking like we will score at every forward moment. Well done to Marco and the team, we have a good side here, we need to keep it together, get rid of all the hanger on's in the summer and strengthen and we can have a right go at top 6 next season and the cups.
Such a shame Brighton Watford and Wolves are at Wembley though, the team playing the way they have the last few weeks would beat or match anyone in the division. Lets sneak into Europe and have a bright summer

Bernard MOM, he was absolutely everywhere yesterday, unbelievable the amount of ground he covered.

One thing that baffled me is how Arsenal set - up, they showed us too much respect.

Tbh I think they expected their customary (against us at least) entitlement to possession from the ref:

1) ping it around
2) get tackled
3) fall over
4) get the ball back
5) repeat until we can't press them at all
= profit

They realised they'd actually have to play a bit in the second half, by which point the home crowd was up

Status
Not open for further replies.