Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Parkinson , was a stalwart of that
They were the two main components of our 'Dogs of War' moniker, so can't be thought of as 'unsung'.
Was just looking back on that Cup Final line-up yesterday: 4 centre backs, 2 workhorses in midfield plus Hinchcliffe, Rideout up front. No wonder we bullied Utd!

I think joe Parkinson was absolutely unsung , of course he was part of the dogs of war but some of his performances at that time were way above simply a ‘tackling ‘ midfielder . The lad was quality and in my humble opinion massively underrated , which gets him the right to be called unsung .

you’re not kidding on that side though ,grafted and worked with a bit of guile . Loved it

It's only looking back at the old picture segments and seeing Sandy there in the early sixties that you realise how much an integral part of the team he was.
Another classic case of "you don't know what had until it's gone"
The very definition of a ‘players player’!

in time...Gana

I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.

I think joe Parkinson was absolutely unsung , of course he was part of the dogs of war but some of his performances at that time were way above simply a ‘tackling ‘ midfielder . The lad was quality and in my humble opinion massively underrated , which gets him the right to be called unsung .

you’re not kidding on that side though ,grafted and worked with a bit of guile . Loved it
We have lost a few good players through injury, but losing Joe like we did left me feeling gutted! He was really starting to grow into the team and into his role. I would absolutely love that type of player in this current team!

Alan Ball. I know he’s not unsung amongst Evertonians, but we’re talking about probably the greatest English midfielder, maybe even English player, of all time and yet look how he’s treated in the media in relation to players like Charlton, Best, Dalglish, Keegan, Rush, Brady, Robson etc. If you asked a non Evertonian to name members of the 66 World Cup team I doubt Ball would even be mentioned by fans under a certain age.

Everton have arguably had the greatest spine in English football in Southall, Ball, Dean, yet how many times are any of them mentioned today when discussing greatest players in top flight history.

Alan Ball. I know he’s not unsung amongst Evertonians, but we’re talking about probably the greatest English midfielder, maybe even player, of all time and yet look how he’s treated in the media in relation to players like Charlton, Best, Dalglish, Keegan, Rush, Brady, Robson etc. If you asked a non Evertonian to name members of the 66 World Cup team I doubt Ball would even be mentioned by fans under a certain age.

Everton have arguably had the greatest spine in English football in Southall, Ball, Dean, yet how many times are any of them mentioned today when discussing greatest players in top flight history.
I’ve seen him described as the “workhorse” of the 66 WC winning side! Unbelievable!

I remember being a big fan back then. Think he had a great season the year after when we finshed in the top half for the only time in the decade. Lots of power, but he could pass too.

I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.
Overhyped? Have you seen the absolute state of our defence and overall game now he’s gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.