Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know about that. Unless you mean you can literally only have 1 player from each team I would say that’s definitely wrong.

Signing loads of old players is a bad idea but you can’t be ruling out everyone over 25 as a blanket rule, it’s just daft. We need to build a young nucleus but that can be supplemented by good value older players who fit what we’re trying to do.
Would take the boys Maddison, Neves and Tielemans like.

What about a striker like Piatek? I think he’d be fairly cheap coming off an injury and would be head and shoulders better than DCL.

I don’t know about that. Unless you mean you can literally only have 1 player from each team I would say that’s definitely wrong.

Signing loads of old players is a bad idea but you can’t be ruling out everyone over 25 as a blanket rule, it’s just daft. We need to build a young nucleus but that can be supplemented by good value older players who fit what we’re trying to do.
I'm not ruling it out blanketly, I said exceptions exist, but James Tarkowski and Christian Eriksen and can confidently say are not players who have slipped through the cracks. Andros Townsend is not the kind of slides seamlessly into a system player that we should be bringing in.

On the other part, I'll give you as many as you want from each team, I still don't think it ends up being super impressive without projecting out development of younger players. Without thinking too much you get something like:

Jose Sa
Trippier Tarkowski Coady Digne
Ndidi
Maddison Gallagher
Raphinha Vardy Zaha
And that team is decent but I'm not sure the defense is really that good (you can argue for about 10 CBs tbh) and the attack doesn't have anyone who starts for most any of the top seven sides at the minute even if it is pretty good.

You could certainly pick some of those out that I'd take even today but the point is you can't really put together a team by buying best of the rest and when you consider that a lot of those best aren't actually obtainable it makes that much worse of a strategy.

I'm not ruling it out blanketly, I said exceptions exist, but James Tarkowski and Christian Eriksen and can confidently say are not players who have slipped through the cracks. Andros Townsend is not the kind of slides seamlessly into a system player that we should be bringing in.

On the other part, I'll give you as many as you want from each team, I still don't think it ends up being super impressive without projecting out development of younger players. Without thinking too much you get something like:

Jose Sa
Ndidi
Maddison Gallagher
Raphinha Vardy Zaha
And that team is decent but I'm not sure the defense is really that good (you can argue for about 10 CBs tbh) and the attack doesn't have anyone who starts for most any of the top seven sides at the minute even if it is pretty good.

You could certainly pick some of those out that I'd take even today but the point is you can't really put together a team by buying best of the rest and when you consider that a lot of those best aren't actually obtainable it makes that much worse of a strategy.
I tried to do it, I gave up at the CBs, was way too hard to trudge through all that rubbish.

But Pickford was in goal for me.

Jose Sa
Ndidi
Maddison Gallagher
Raphinha Vardy Zaha

Well firstly you said top 7 not ‘super impressive’. On the basis that wolves are 2 points off 7th and Leicester have finished top 7 with the majority of that squad for the last few years it’s pretty clear you were massively exaggerating.

Secondly, we obviously wouldn’t be following that exact strategy. Signing only players from other average PL clubs isn’t a good plan, but that doesn’t mean that signing some is a bad idea. We need a refresh and we need to do things differently but people seem to get obsessed with doing things a certain way when for me we just need to be generally better at recruitment.

Well firstly you said top 7 not ‘super impressive’. On the basis that wolves are 2 points off 7th and Leicester have finished top 7 with the majority of that squad for the last few years it’s pretty clear you were massively exaggerating.

Secondly, we obviously wouldn’t be following that exact strategy. Signing only players from other average PL clubs isn’t a good plan, but that doesn’t mean that signing some is a bad idea. We need a refresh and we need to do things differently but people seem to get obsessed with doing things a certain way when for me we just need to be generally better at recruitment.
No, for me signing any is a bad idea. I'd steer clear of that entire team if it was up to me because there is no value in it. You have to pay a lot just to upgrade a little. And after all that outlay you might finish 7th or 8th. It isn't sustainable and often it isn't competitive either.

What Newcastle just did is terrible business for example.

Buying their way out of relegation? Looks like a good plan to me, theyre not going down. A lot more money to be made in the PL than the championship, theyll still come out of it with a profit compared to if they went down.
Eh I guess. It probably isn't a good comparison because they might actually be able to spend like City and so it won't matter that they've overpaid on a lot of older players.

We probably can't do that, so while doing what Newcastle did might be ok for awhile it'll hurt us longer term and leave us far short of any longer term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.