Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarity, I've slept on it, and I still don't accept that we should accept the club's excuses about a forward just because it's hard to find a forward. They knew months ago about this situation and were not prepared. I think giving them the excuse is letting them off the hook and letting them avoid accountability.

They've got this totally wrong yet again, and I don't trust them to make the right decisions.
My argument definitely isn't that we should 'accept it'. It's that they've tried and so far failed, and there's numerous reasons for that, all of which ultimately boil down to our own mismanagement over previous seasons.

But we had a ton of areas to fix and needed to sell Richarlison to do that. We also had a fully fit striker four days before the season started, with scope to spend the best part of a month to get another one in.

Now that striker needs to come in asap, rather than being left until late this month.

No, it’s fairly well established that he can’t. From reading some comments on here I think it’s fairly clear some people have never seen coady play and will get an almighty shock if we do sign him. He’s very very good at what he does, but what he does is nothing like what some people seem to be expecting.
He's absolutely fine as the central player in a back three.

Anything else and he is, let me put this frankly, very very average.

I'd still rather have him than Keane in a back four like, and as the central in a back 3 to replace Mina, even though he's not as good, he plays games.

Agree 100% even leaving aside the unfortunate DCL injury they have known Richy is going for months and Rondon isn't good enough for this league. Even our wide men don't score often. We needs two forwards I am not having there's nobody that could improve us. Its this seasons piece of major mismanagement to go with appointing Benitez last summer and the litany of other pieces going back years
It’s not that there’s nobody, it’s about getting the deals, we want Broja but Chelsea are reluctant to loan or sell him, we wanted Cornet but, like Fulham, Forest and initially West Ham, we didn’t want to pay a large upfront on his release clause, Watford will bump the price on Dennis and likely won’t entertain a staged deal without a big up front

Our best option is going for one of the Ligue 1 strikers we’ve been linked with as it’s seemingly easier to do deals with them

It’s not that there’s nobody, it’s about getting the deals, we want Broja but Chelsea are reluctant to loan or sell him, we wanted Cornet but, like Fulham, Forest and initially West Ham, we didn’t want to pay a large upfront on his release clause, Watford will bump the price on Dennis and likely won’t entertain a staged deal without a big up front

Our best option is going for one of the Ligue 1 strikers we’ve been linked with as it’s seemingly easier to do deals with them
I get that but you are proving my point there's more than EPL/relegated strikers out there. Anyway hope we get one done we need some creativity too not sure we can do that as well though. A forward would open up space for the others. Someone who can hold the ball but also get on the end of things

My argument definitely isn't that we should 'accept it'. It's that they've tried and so far failed, and there's numerous reasons for that, all of which ultimately boil down to our own mismanagement over previous seasons.

But we had a ton of areas to fix and needed to sell Richarlison to do that. We also had a fully fit striker four days before the season started, with scope to spend the best part of a month to get another one in.

Now that striker needs to come in asap, rather than being left until late this month.

Depends who the manager/DOF wants though mate.

If Fronk is hard as a rock for Broja surely we wait and get him in rather than panic buy someone who he doesn't want and barely plays ?

Just get the right players in and start the rebuild process.

Easy to forget we only took 3 points out of our first 3 games in El Loco's first season (3 draws) then signed Lukaku on deadline day and ended up finishing 5th.

1 frustrating tight game against Chelsea and fans are wetting their sheets its mad stuff.

Seen we have been linked to Serhou Guirassy, 26 year old French forward from Rennes, he has 18 goals from 55 appearances for them, he’s a 6ft 2” target man, believed to be available for about €18m. It’s mentioned in the article that Ed may take him on loan with a guaranteed purchase next season, so we don’t have to pay anything this season.

Lampard tried to sign him for Chelsea apparently, Wegner wanted him as a kid to.

But even with DCL we had very little in reserve Rondon is ten minutes at best we saw when he started last season, we sold Richy who was covering a few positions. We needed another striker and a wide forward for me this summer. DCL needed help and our wide options don't score enough.

If Fronk is hard as a rock for Broja surely we wait and get him in rather than panic buy someone who he doesn't want and barely plays ?

Easy to forget we only took 3 points out of our first 3 games in El Loco's first season (3 draws) then signed Lukaku on deadline day and ended up finishing 5th.

1 game against a Chelsea said with 2x aging but werld class CB's who with Kante ahead of em and fans are wetting their sheets its mad stuff.
Please knock this on the head, you’re a grown man

Easy to forget we only took 3 points out of our first 2 games in El Loco's first season but still ended up finishing 5th.

1 game against a Chelsea said with 2x aging but werld class CB's who with Kante ahead of em and fans are wetting their sheets its mad stuff.
Well that's the risk they have to weigh up isn't it, which is what I've been saying to Tim so we do actually agree here mate.

From my very basic understanding, they did want an attacker in by the start of the season. But they couldn't, for whatever reason, get it done. I'm frustrated at them for that, and don't think we should 'accept it' as such, but you raise a good point. Targets do become available later in the window but it's all a balancing act. If they really wanted Dennis, he'd have been here by now. But clearly, they didn't.

They tried for Cornet, because again he covers both roles to an extent, but as another poster has said, Burnley wanted a lot of money up front. We've got McNeil on the drip, and we're getting hopefully two good midfielders in.

All I will say is that there's another 4 league games before the end of the window, so 12 points to play for. If we play like we did yesterday we'll be solid enough against most teams but we're going to be missing Mina so we need a CB in now too, and we need to start creating better chances no matter who is up top.

Personally, if this is the case (we don't know for sure) I'd argue moving on from Broja if Chelsea are not willing to deal this week, as we need to be getting a striker in. If Dom hadn't been injured, we'd be absolutely fine to wait on Broja right up until Aug 31, which is why I've been stressing to Tim that there is logic in what we have been doing. But that's all changed now so the club have to weigh things up. I'm hoping they've already done that.

Maybe it is, but I question the logic. Coady forces you to play a back 3. The addition of Onana and Gueye allows us to play a 433 or 4231 at least. Coady cannot play in a back 4. The sensible move, to me at least, would be to look at a CB who can play in both a back 3 and as one of 2 CBs in a back 4.
Agreed. Coady with Onana & Gueye leaves us with 523 and 3421. I actually like the theory of 3421 and it may suit players like Dele, Gordon & Gray better than being wider. Not sure it works in practice though.

But even with DCL we had very little in reserve Rondon is ten minutes at best we saw when he started last season, we sold Richy who was covering a few positions. We needed another striker and a wide forward for me this summer. DCL needed help and our wide options don't score enough.
Yes, but we had a month to sort it out mate...

We aren't in a position to be like City and Liverpool and have all of their business done by the time the season starts.

I mean really, look at them two and actually they haven't even done that. City haven't got a LB in that they want and Liverpool are now in need of a midfielder possibly after Thiago's injury.

Not one PL team is fully done yet... it's crap but it is what it is. I much preferred it when the window shut before the season started but the clubs wanted to go and match Europe again so here we are.

We've got McNeil who will act as a winger. We've been going for players who can play both roles, i.e. Cornet, MGW... maybe Broja. That might now have to change, with us perhaps going for an out and out centre-forward and then maybe seeing if we can get a wide forward in later in the window if funds become available or the right deal becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.