Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont disagree at all he was fit last weekend. I watched him play and he was looking fitter than last season. But that was not a guarantee he wouldn't pick up another injury because he's struggled to stay fit for a while now, even going back to Ancelotti.

My point is we needed another forward the day Richarlison was sold. Otherwise we were relying entirely on a player with a question mark over their fitness.
And I agree with you. But we also needed two midfielders, a winger to replace Richarlison out wide (because Richarlison was so versatile he was two players in one), another full-back, another centre-back (now even more desperately) and the striker you mention.

I think, ideal world, they'd have loved to have that attacker in, and I do really think they tried. I'm not saying it's good enough, but last weekend, they had a month of the window left and their striker was fit, with Dele there in case he needed a bit of rotation for a game or two (talking subs here) to get us further into August when more options might be available.

You can say it was a big gamble to take based on last year, and I agree, but then again as you've said, DCL was looking fitter than he had done in a while. It's hedging your bets. Maybe - almost certainly tbf - Everton shouldn't do that, but in the self-inflicted financial situation they are in - I can see why they have done.

I'm hoping, just blind faith like, they don't wait now, that with Onana and Gueye in (hopefully) that they somehow find a way to get a striker in next, but we are also probably going to need a CB... So it's like every time they fix one hole, 17 others appear.

If people think I am talking crap then I am more than happy for people to tell me I am talking crap.

I dont like losing and I dont like seeing things play out how I feared. I have no real problems with how we played today but we need more quality to turn performances into points.
I don't think you're talking crap, I agree with the sentiment and share your frustration. I just think there's a lot of factors mate. Anyway, fingers crossed for some more movement this week and a good weekend next weekend. Was unlucky today, but up against it.

And I agree with you. But we also needed two midfielders, a winger to replace Richarlison out wide (because Richarlison was so versatile he was two players in one), another full-back, another centre-back (now even more desperately) and the striker you mention.

I think, ideal world, they'd have loved to have that attacker in, and I do really think they tried. I'm not saying it's good enough, but last weekend, they had a month of the window left and their striker was fit, with Dele there in case he needed a bit of rotation for a game or two (talking subs here) to get us further into August when more options might be available.

You can say it was a big gamble to take based on last year, and I agree, but then again as you've said, DCL was looking fitter than he had done in a while. It's hedging your bets. Maybe - almost certainly tbf - Everton shouldn't do that, but in the self-inflicted financial situation they are in - I can see why they have done.

I'm hoping, just blind faith like, they don't wait now, that with Onana and Gueye in (hopefully) that they somehow find a way to get a striker in next, but we are also probably going to need a CB... So it's like every time they fix one hole, 17 others appear.
I did expect Deli Alli to start today to be honest, so I dont know where that leaves him. I had always kind of suspected that lampard doesn't rate him or he would have used him more but today possibly confirmed it.

If he isn't going to start on a day like today then what's his role? I dont even know if it's worthwhile keeping him or of it would better getting someone else the manager prefers.

THEIR striker there is the issue again. Having one striker of standard is negligent, DCL was never playing every minute of every game and Rondon isn't enough back up we saw that last season. We scored 46 goals last season and sold out top scorer, forward was priority over everything else.

I did expect Deli Alli to start today to be honest, so I dont know where that leaves him. I had always kind of suspected that lampard doesn't rate him or he would have used him more but today possibly confirmed it.

If he isn't going to start on a day like today then what's his role? I dont even know if it's worthwhile keeping him or of it would better getting someone else the manager prefers.
I really think he should have started today. I said it earlier before KO, we needed a focal point. Not saying he was great when he came on, not saying he'd have bullied Chelsea's defence, but we had nobody getting into dangerous positions around the area really, and nobody to hit in the box.

He isn't a target man but he knows how to find space. I was disappointed in Lampard for that today, believe he got it wrong, and also think Gray/Gordon/McNeil would have been a better impact sub than Dele after 60.

Seen we have been linked to Serhou Guirassy, 26 year old French forward from Rennes, he has 18 goals from 55 appearances for them, he’s a 6ft 2” target man, believed to be available for about €18m. It’s mentioned in the article that Ed may take him on loan with a guaranteed purchase next season, so we don’t have to pay anything this season.

Dele is hopefully the last example of our horrible transfer strategy of buying players who were good once, or who have raw talent and/or not had opportunities at their clubs, and just hoping they come good.

I know absolutely nothing about Dele as a person but reading between the lines of the few things Frank HAS said about him, it sounds like something is amiss with his attitude/application. I’ve been saying it for a while, but when it comes to the “form is temporary…” argument, I genuinely believe his 3-year purple patch was the exception and what we’re seeing now is all that’s left.

Sad, because he had the world at his feet at one stage, and frustrating because - as with our many other recent transfer failures - he’s going to be virtually impossible to shift. We’re also going to be reluctant to let him get to 20 apps so he’s not even going to be useful as a squad player.

I really think he should have started today. I said it earlier before KO, we needed a focal point. Not saying he was great when he came on, not saying he'd have bullied Chelsea's defence, but we had nobody getting into dangerous positions around the area really, and nobody to hit in the box.

He isn't a target man but he knows how to find space. I was disappointed in Lampard for that today, believe he got it wrong, and also think Gray/Gordon/McNeil would have been a better impact sub than Dele after 60.
I thought it was maybe the wrong selection but then Dele was pretty poor when he came on, so I dont know.

The time he got played in by Patterson but took too long and didn't shoot, showed hes maybe not a centre forward.

THEIR striker there is the issue again. Having one striker of standard is negligent, DCL was never playing every minute of every game and Rondon isn't enough back up we saw that last season. We scored 46 goals last season and sold out top scorer, forward was priority over everything else.
Yes I know, but the window goes on until the end of the month, so when you've got a fully fit striker and only play one up top, and have limited funds while needing to fix loads of other issues in the squad, you can absolutely see why they did what they did. And, for the record, it really does look like in an ideal world they wanted to have a forward in. But they also realised they needed a load of other players too and the forwards they targeted, they couldn't agree deals for. But again, that could change the longer the window went on. Now they have to shift tactic and that might have meant assessing other targets with a different budget.

He wanted to press Chelsea with pace that's what worked last season I don't think he's convinced Dele is mobile enough which makes him a bench option

I dont disagree at all he was fit last weekend. I watched him play and he was looking fitter than last season. But that was not a guarantee he wouldn't pick up another injury because he's struggled to stay fit for a while now, even going back to Ancelotti.

My point is we needed another forward the day Richarlison was sold. Otherwise we were relying entirely on a player with a question mark over their fitness.

Tim do you seriously not get how difficult it is for us to sign a quality striker at this moment in time?

I think everyone on here agrees with the need and the intent, but many are more realistic than you about the challenges we in particular face right now in doing that.

And if you want to prioritise getting a striker in above all else, then we wouldn't have signed anyone so far this window.

Just get some perspective.

Dele is hopefully the last example of our horrible transfer strategy of buying players who were good once, or who have raw talent and/or not had opportunities at their clubs, and just hoping they come good.

I know absolutely nothing about Dele as a person but reading between the lines of the few things Frank HAS said about him, it sounds like something is amiss with his attitude/application. I’ve been saying it for a while, but when it comes to the “form is temporary…” argument, I genuinely believe his 3-year purple patch was the exception and what we’re seeing now is all that’s left.

Sad, because he had the world at his feet at one stage, and frustrating because - as with our many other recent transfer failures - he’s going to be virtually impossible to shift. We’re also going to be reluctant to let him get to 20 apps so he’s not even going to be useful as a squad player.
I do think he was overhyped a lot when he was younger, because - and I always said this about him - he never really excelled at anything a classic player in his position should do. He wasn't an amazing passer, he wasn't extremely skilful in terms of dribbling, he wasn't rapid etc.

But he was brilliant at finding space and frankly, he still does that better than anyone we have. Even today, for the chance he had to shoot but the pass was behind him and his touch was poor, look how easily he found that pocket. All game, not one of Gordon or Gray managed that. It comes naturally to some players.

That being said, he was playing in a brilliant Spurs team with players who could get him the ball in that pocket of space, and he hit golden form and started doing some silly good things. But he was always a player almost caught between several positions and needed a very certain system to be at his best.

However, he should have started today, because he is a better central option than Gordon or Gray, even if that's so that whoever starts out of Gordon and Gray actually plays their correct position.

Status
Not open for further replies.