Homepage Update: Everton Brands Appointment Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just under a month till the World Cup.

The clever clubs will get the bulk of their business done before a ball is kicked, but the cleverer clubs will hold on to their players in the hope they have a baller World Cup, the even clevererer clubs will wait and pick the cream off.

All in all, this summer will not be a pretty watch, its going to be X rated for everyone.

35m will become the old school 5m punt.

It frightens me, in 4months people will be saying that we did well to pay 45m for Iceland.
If a club does all 3 would you say they have done...

Cleverley?

I don’t think Walsh was ever trusted to control the system. He didn’t have the authority and Koeman was clearly seen as the more knowledgeable one by the powers at Everton so you had a completely bizarre situation where one moment we’re buying Klaasen and Siggurdson on Koemans personal say so then he’s being given Lookman and Sandro who he may not have even wanted.

From the early noises on this it sounds like Brands has been targeted by Moshiri for a long time and will be in complete control. That has to be better than the circus which was going on before.

I suspect going forward there will be no doubt about who signed who and who does what.

The Board and the playing side will all have defined roles, no more buck passing, do your job or get the bullet.

The clever clubs will get the bulk of their business done before a ball is kicked, but the cleverer clubs will hold on to their players in the hope they have a baller World Cup, the even clevererer clubs will wait and pick the cream off.

All in all, this summer will not be a pretty watch, its going to be X rated for everyone.

It frightens me, in 4months people will be saying that we did well to pay 45m for Iceland.
I think it is likely that Brands and Silva have been talking for a few weeks, certainly Silva has had plenty of time on his hands to watch Everton and has probably know for some time the job would be his, unofficially of course.

I think that we will see the arrivals coming in quickly, or some of them and possibly even before the manager is confirmed.

The outgoings will happen afterwards and probably quite a few as the window closes . Clubs will have to make sure their squads are in order before the season starts and that allied to all the money that is floating about could mean that we may get back a lot of the money that was wasted/spent last summer as clubs stock up.

I think it is likely that Brands and Silva have been talking for a few weeks, certainly Silva has had plenty of time on his hands to watch Everton and has probably know for some time the job would be his, unofficially of course.

I think that we will see the arrivals coming in quickly, or some of them and possibly even before the manager is confirmed.

The outgoings will happen afterwards and probably quite a few as the window closes . Clubs will have to make sure their squads are in order before the season starts and that allied to all the money that is floating about could mean that we may get back a lot of the money that was wasted/spent last summer as clubs stock up.

Lets not forget that the window whilst it closes early for incomings, its open for 3 weeks for outgoings only.

How that will work should be very interesting.

..summer international tournaments are often a misleading guide to a players worth. Remember the likes of Phil Babb looking really good when the reality is he was really ordinary. Prices go up. Not saying it’s not an opportunity to spot a goodun, but you have to be careful.

(Feel like I'm replying to all your posts this afternoon)

Not sure about the bit in bold. Buying players off the back of a great World Cup has been a bit of a recipe for disaster, historically, hasn't it?

salif-diao-2.jpg

..summer international tournaments are often a misleading guide to a players worth. Remember the likes of Phil Babb looking really good when the reality is he was really ordinary. Prices go up. Not saying it’s not an opportunity to spot a goodun, but you have to be careful.
(Feel like I'm replying to all your posts this afternoon)

Not sure about the bit in bold. Buying players off the back of a great World Cup has been a bit of a recipe for disaster, historically, hasn't it?

salif-diao-2.jpg

I didnt mean the cream of the world cup, I just meant the cream.

Buying players after a great world cup is very dangerous.

Lets not forget that the window whilst it closes early for incomings, its open for 3 weeks for outgoings only.

How that will work should be very interesting.
It certainly will.
I think clubs will have to err on the side of caution and have too many players rather than too few.
Traditionally a manager would have three or four games to assess his players and his squad generally but this year will have to decide what he needs before the players are even properly fit and have no serious pre season games played.

It just may be that instead of sales we will allow some to go out on loan for a couple of months in case we need to bring them back.

It certainly will.
I think clubs will have to err on the side of caution and have too many players rather than too few.
Traditionally a manager would have three or four games to assess his players and his squad generally but this year will have to decide what he needs before the players are even properly fit and have no serious pre season games played.

It just may be that instead of sales we will allow some to go out on loan for a couple of months in case we need to bring them back.

Dont think thats even possible anymore, think loans are in 6/12 month periods these days.

But yes, I can see a LOT of loans in those last 3 weeks, for a few clubs, just to chip wage bills.

We really need to get our scouting nailed on.
The big Dutch and Portuguese clubs have their pick of the best young players from smaller clubs, develop them a bit further and then when the English sides come to buy them they do so at £15m+

Ideally we’ll be able to get them from the start. Brands has done this at PSV - we need him to do it for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.