End for Unsworth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who he’s having a dig at with the end bit - “ nice to have someone take an actual interest “ :eek:

Who knows but it's weird, there still sounds like a disconnect to me, the academy and first team should all play the same system.

Also chuckled at this line:

"Obviously Marcel does all the contracts and will speak with all the agents so I can really concentrate on the coaching side of it," Unsworth told the Royal Blue Podcast.

"In that respect my job has changed, so I concentrate solely and purely on the players and the coaching."

Yeh, David, because that took up soooo much time every week didn't it?

Interesting , “ me thinks he praises Marcel too much” was one initial reaction from me. Unsworth makes a fair point that if we keep changing managers and playing styles part of his job is to teach young players to be flexible and adaptable in their playing styles, though some of his team formations have been bizarre at times.
I hope Marcel has a plan. He’s at U23s games, praises our youngsters , I see us clearing out a load of young players who wouldn’t have made it with us, and in recent weekends we’ve fielded really young teams at both U23s and u18 . But in 18 months of his scouting, watching, praising we‘ve only brought in one new youngster , Jarrad Branthwaite, and only one new youngster has played PL football, all 45 mins worth.

Last edited:

Interesting , “ me thinks he praises Marcel too much” was one initial reaction from me. Unsworth makes a fair point that if we keep changing managers and playing styles part of his job is to teach young players to be flexible and adaptable in their playing styles, though some of his team formations have been bizarre at times.
I hope Marcel has a plan. He’s at U23s games, praises our youngsters , I see us clearing out a load of young players who wouldn’t have made it with us, and in recent weekends we’ve fielded really young teams at both U23s and u18 . But in 18 months of his scouting, watching, praising we‘ve only brought in one new youngster , Jarrod Branthwaite, and only one new youngster has played PL football, all 45 mins worth.

A transfer ban kinda puts a spanner in the works

A transfer ban kinda puts a spanner in the works
No mate it doesn’t. It only applies to a limited number of English league players who we can’t sign on Academy contracts. The whole of the continent, Wales, Scotland , Ireland remains open to us plus if we like someone who’s over 17 we just offer him a professional contract e.g. 17 year Jarrad Branthwaite.

No mate it doesn’t. It only applies to a limited number of English league players who we can’t sign on Academy contracts. The whole of the continent, Wales, Scotland , Ireland remains open to us plus if we like someone who’s over 17 we just offer him a professional contract e.g. 17 year Jarrad Branthwaite.

Yeah im not sure its as easy as that.

If it was then the ban would be pretty pointless.

Yeah im not sure its as easy as that.

If it was then the ban would be pretty pointless.
Well we broke the rules in a specific area so were punished in that area to stop us and others doing it. Barely affected City and the RS who had similar but shorter bans. More of an embarrassment to the club. But of course we’ll never know if we missed out on someone good we weren’t allowed to sign.

Last edited:

Not worrying, but damning regarding previous managers.

Still worrying to me because of this line:

"Look at Carlo now we're playing 4-4-2. Before that we played in a different way. Managers will come and go but if the players are good enough they can adapt to different formations and different styles.

"That is something I think we do very well when we make players aware of the demands of more than one position."

Whilst it's not bad to have players playing lots of different positions in the end it can be detrimental. Holgate has only just picked his position, Callum Connolly's career has stalled because he can play everywhere. If the Director of Football model is to work the club needs to have a specific system of playing. The above statement suggests managers will continue to be hired/fired that play different systems and it's down to the players to adapt to these new systems. That, to me, is not how a DoF run club should work.

- DoF picks the style with current manager, so for argument sake now 4-4-2 with Carlo.
- The U23's should play 4-4-2
- The U18's should play 4-4-2
- Players from all age groups should fit profiles that will one day fit the profile needed for the 4-4-2 the first team play.

This massively increases the probability of academy players being promoted and fitting in, this massively helps recruitment as well. Just look at Liverpool and their 4-3-3 right throughout the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.