2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a diferent way of playing now with all players tasked with scoring. And when we need an arrowhead against a tiring defence we look to be able to call on Simms now.

If Calvert-Lewin chips in with a goal, great. But we really dont need him to get clear IMO.

Maybe Simms getting a bit of limelight can persuade him to take part again? Who knows.
We might well get clear without him. We'd deffo get clear with him, firing on all cylinders. (I'm not saying DCL is great, or ever again will fire on all cylinders, but just making a statistical point).

We might well get clear without him. We'd deffo get clear with him, firing on all cylinders. (I'm not saying Dominic Calvert-Lewin is great, or ever again will fire on all cylinders, but just making a statistical point).

I'd welcome his return to contribute. His Arsenal performance was top class.

However there's another issue here: not having to rely on him to come in and make things happen (which, it has to be said, hasn't been that much in evidence for a long while now Arsenal game notwithstanding) will be stabilising for us.

We have Gray as a starter and Simms to maybe grab a goal. But we've also adapted away from reliance of a target man and are much more capable of grabbing a goal or two from midfielders and defenders. That's much better for the team than having Calvert-Lewin coming in every now and again.

Yes, he's defo a big physical presence for a defender too.

Im going to say it, great feet for a big man. lol

What impresses me about the video above is him taking on a low % chances, just putting his laces through it and having a go, that invariably leads to something - I want to say directness we have lacked. Still the video might not show us the 5 chances before May have skied.

Everywhere he’s been, you know, the fans really liked him.

Last edited:
Great finishing at any level. Doesn't over think it and gets his shot off.

*realizes it's sourpuss complimenting an Everton player*

giphy.gif

Great finishing at any level. Doesn't over think it and gets his shot off.
Thing I like about him is he puts it where it’s difficult to save. Doesn’t need to be in the corner, low and hard and in the zone where the keeper doesn’t know whether to dive or stick out a leg, like he did on Saturday. There are a bunch of finishes where you think the keeper should do better, but when he does it repeatedly it’s because he’s made a skill of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.