2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's what I mean with the Rom comparison. He could hold it up and have a tussle when he wanted...he just didn't want to. Holding up the ball and a horrific first touch for a feller his size were his flaws. But stick him in the box or have him turn and run at defenders... he'll do damage.

Not sure Everton really got any credit for having Lukaku in his best ever form. It’s almost like the media didn’t want to admit he played for us when he was here and was one of the best strikers in the prem. He’s had one good season at Inter since he left us.

Not sure Everton really got any credit for having Lukaku in his best ever form. It’s almost like the media didn’t want to admit he played for us when he was here and was one of the best strikers in the prem. He’s had one good season at Inter since he left us.
It's not that they don't want to admit it, it's just that nobody cares. There's no mad conspiracy against us, we're just not a big story.

I'm not sure I'd say Lukaku is a good comparison for Simms from what i've seen. The goal against Chelsea was quite atypical of him in terms of how dynamic it was I think, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be doing that type of thing all the time.

Mr Simms is our greatest striker since lukaku. Sad but true. Dcl does not count due to A) being a one season wonder which got to his head i feel and B) gets injured buttering his toast for breakfast and C) the hairdo

Mr Simms is our greatest striker since lukaku. Sad but true. Dominic Calvert-Lewin does not count due to A) being a one season wonder which got to his head i feel and B) gets injured buttering his toast for breakfast and C) the hairdo
Look obviously its premature .. way premature.. but a lot of us were calling for Simms since 2019 to be getting game time. He has proved himself a finisher wherever he has played.. Its also an indictment on how little we have done to solve the Lukaku gap when he left.

I do get the feeling he is one of those guys that will need to be the finished article to get a run. Many players get a run to develop to full potential, I just don't think he will be afforded that opportunity.

PS to other posters: Early Vic did not score for fun even in youth football. (Simms scored 32 goals in 21 games in U18 and continued at an impressive rate thereafter). I see zero comparisons between them. Vic could score that goal v Chelsea? smoking something.

He alos got 17 goals for a West Brom side that finished 8th!

No ones interested though so i wouldnt have sleepless nights over it!

Look obviously its premature .. way premature.. but a lot of us were calling for Simms since 2019 to be getting game time. He has proved himself a finisher wherever he has played.. Its also an indictment on how little we have done to solve the Lukaku gap when he left.

I do get the feeling he is one of those guys that will need to be the finished article to get a run. Many players get a run to develop to full potential, I just don't think he will be afforded that opportunity.

PS to other posters: Early Vic did not score for fun even in youth football. (Simms scored 32 goals in 21 games in U18 and continued at an impressive rate thereafter). I see zero comparisons between them. Vic could score that goal v Chelsea? smoking something.
I think the Anichebe comparison is more to do with their level rather than comparing them as actual players. Simms is obviously much more of a goalscorer than Anichebe, I think we all know that. As far as I can see it's more about people saying that he may prove to be a useful PL squad player like Anichebe was, without necessarily ever scaling the heights.

The other thing about that monatage of goals is that it shows he can prosper when there's team mates in the box and he can get onto a second ball going free and score. Dyche has us attacking now and getting a lot more players into the final third and box. I know the goal against Chelsea didn't fit that description but he's also got that type of finish too.

Just to underline that...

Phil Smith is a football reporter for the Sunderland Echo who covered Simms’ impressive loan spell in the Championship. He has monitored his progress since heading back to Merseyside and initially wondered if the forward was going to suffer again from being miscast due to his physique.

“It was interesting when Dyche was saying it’s not enough just to have the attributes of size and pace, you need to use them,” says Smith. “Ellis has that big frame, which tends to see him viewed as a target man when he actually plays as a poacher.

“The Merseyside derby is an example. If Dyche was thinking he had a big lad he could hit long balls to, then that was never going to work. At that point, I thought if that was how Everton were going to use him then it wouldn’t have worked. But it looks like Dyche is figuring him out and finding the best way to get Ellis to make an impact.

“If the penny drops for him and he’s able to use his frame better as well then he’ll be really good. All his goals for Sunderland were from eight to 10 yards, which is a valuable commodity and Sunderland have missed it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.