2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to say it, great feet for a big man. lol

What impresses me about the video above is him taking on a low % chances, just putting his laces through it and having a go, that invariably leads to something - I want to say directness we have lacked. Still the video might not show us the 5 chances before May have skied.

Everywhere he’s been, you know, the fans really liked him.
I just don't want to see everybody suddenly build him up as the saviour and drown him with the pressure, and if it doesn't all go to plan then suddenly jump on his back.
Remember it wasn't long ago we had a couple of Hearts fans on here saying he wasn't premiership ready yet and even by the end at Sunderland he wasn't always starting games.

Would love to see him do well and succeed for the club but it's only 1 goal at the mo, Dyche will use him how he see's best...

I'm not kidding, but I genuinely named my second born son after him when he bagged 30 goals in 20 games in the under 18s. You don't do that unless you are going to be good!!!
Probably the daftest period of Simms’s career. Some really daft comments suggesting playing him in the first team when he was a million miles away , physically a man brushing off puny 16/17 year old and scoring for fun. Daft because he played maybe 2 or 3 games for the u21/23s , Gordon played about 5 or 6 that season , because Unsworth thought it was too big a step up from u18 to u23. He had a lot to learn back then but these days he wouldn’t have scored 40 odd goals at u18 , he’d have been playing regular u21s as a 17 year old.

Thing I like about him is he puts it where it’s difficult to save. Doesn’t need to be in the corner, low and hard and in the zone where the keeper doesn’t know whether to dive or stick out a leg, like he did on Saturday. There are a bunch of finishes where you think the keeper should do better, but when he does it repeatedly it’s because he’s made a skill of it.

The other thing about that monatage of goals is that it shows he can prosper when there's team mates in the box and he can get onto a second ball going free and score. Dyche has us attacking now and getting a lot more players into the final third and box. I know the goal against Chelsea didn't fit that description but he's also got that type of finish too.

Im going to say it, great feet for a big man. lol

What impresses me about the video above is him taking on a low % chances, just putting his laces through it and having a go, that invariably leads to something - I want to say directness we have lacked. Still the video might not show us the 5 chances before May have skied.

Everywhere he’s been, you know, the fans really liked him.

He's going to be handy throwing on for the last 20 minutes or so. His goal at Chelsea will have defences wary of what he can do and it'll occupy a couple of them and relieve a bit of pressure if we're looking to hold onto something. That's the least we can expect now.

I know it's projecting a lot from one goal at Chelsea and a video monatge of his goals outside the PL, but on what evidence we do have if Simms had played all season I'd venture to say he'd possibly be on 6 or 7 goals by now.

He's going to be handy throwing on for the last 20 minutes or so. His goal at Chelsea will have defences wary of what he can do and it'll occupy a couple of them and relieve a bit of pressure if we're looking to hold onto something. That's the least we can expect now.

I know it's projecting a lot from one goal at Chelsea and a video monatge of his goals outside the PL, but on what evidence we do have if Simms had played all season I'd venture to say he'd possibly be on 6 or 7 goals by now.
Oh indeed , there’s a danger he catches “ Tom Davies Syndrome” from his one goal. Ellis Simms has made me smile every time he has scored, whoever it’s been for , long may it continue , but a montage of the ball bouncing off his knee, stumbling over the ball etc would be as long as his goals one . He’s far from the finished article yet , I just hope people continue to support him when the inevitable misses in front of goal happen.

Oh indeed , there’s a danger he catches “ Tom Davies Syndrome” from his one goal. Ellis Simms has made me smile every time he has scored, whoever it’s been for , long may it continue , but a montage of the ball bouncing off his knee, stumbling over the ball etc would be as long as his goals one . He’s far from the finished article yet , I just hope people continue to support him when the inevitable misses in front of goal happen.

At least he gets himself on the pitch when asked...

Davies or Simms ? If Davies my comparison was really that when he scored a wonder goal he was everybody’s favourite, then when he failed to replicate it people turned, I hope it doesn’t happen to Simms.
No Simms.

Maybe his hoped for emergence gives Calvert-Lewin a kick up the arse.

Reading the article in the Athletic...

Clearly more in the Lukaku mould than the Dom mode. Get him running and facing goal, he'll slot. Getting him to hold it up and fight CBs he's not gonna do.

Reading the article in the Athletic...

Clearly more in the Lukaku mould than the Dom mode. Get him running and facing goal, he'll slot. Getting him to hold it up and fight CBs he's not gonna do.
He sort of can to be fair, judging by his time in Scotland, but it's really not how he likes to play.

More Lukaku than Dom for sure though, spot on, even if Lukaku was much quicker.

I just don't want to see everybody suddenly build him up as the saviour and drown him with the pressure, and if it doesn't all go to plan then suddenly jump on his back.
Remember it wasn't long ago we had a couple of Hearts fans on here saying he wasn't premiership ready yet and even by the end at Sunderland he wasn't always starting games.

Would love to see him do well and succeed for the club but it's only 1 goal at the mo, Dyche will use him how he see's best...

Not sure what you are reading in my post that suggests that mate.

Dont think anyone sees anything, bar a an academy lad who may be a tool to be used - when we have an empty tool box, he has a bit of directness about him that we lack. Personally if he can fill a role like, Vaughan or Anichebe id be happy and the academy has done well - if all he does was last week im also be happy and hes made a great contribution. Be foolish to expect to much for the lad, but we all hope he does well.

That said he took that goal very well, if you can finish against a CL team, in clutch moments its an encouraging sign, so i think its ok to have hope and realism.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are reading in my post that suggests that mate.

Dont think anyone sees anything, bar a an academy lad who may be a tool to be used - when we have an empty tool box, he has a bit of directness about him that we lack. Personally if he can fill a role like, Vaughan or Anichebe id be happy and the academy has done well - if all he does was last week im also be happy and hes made a great contribution. Be foolish to expect to much for the lad, but we all hope he does well.

That said he took that goal very well, if you can finish against a CL team, in clutch moments its an encouraging sign, so i think its ok to have hope and realism.
Try reading my post again m8.
I was talking about a young lad and the sudden expectation/pressure that could now be thrust upon his shoulders from our fans.
( I'm pretty sure there wasn't any part of the post that could give you the feeling it was something aimed at you )
In fact you can see that in the first few words..

He sort of can to be fair, judging by his time in Scotland, but it's really not how he likes to play.

More Lukaku than Dom for sure though, spot on, even if Lukaku was much quicker.

Yeah, it's what I mean with the Rom comparison. He could hold it up and have a tussle when he wanted...he just didn't want to. Holding up the ball and a horrific first touch for a feller his size were his flaws. But stick him in the box or have him turn and run at defenders... he'll do damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.