Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a lot of takers
No idea who or were it is,forum etc,but most had not even heard of Simms till a few days ago,so i suppose its worth the bet for some based on his goal record,friday its the u23s,sat morning the u18s,and off course Everton sat afternoon,and the silva P/C at 3pm tomorrow were i wonder will anyone say anything at all on him

No idea who or were it is,forum etc,but most had not even heard of Simms till a few days ago,so i suppose its worth the bet for some based on his goal record,friday its the u23s,sat morning the u18s,and off course Everton sat afternoon,and the silva P/C at 3pm tomorrow were i wonder will anyone say anything at all on him
Yeh, I have no idea if true but this lad is stating it as fact!

.....the following Everton footballers all made their 1st team debut before the age Simms is now (18);

James Vaughan
Wayne Rooney
Frances Jeffers
Jack Rodwell
Richard Dunne
Michael Branch
Michael Ball
Danny Cadamarteri

Simms is not even a regular starter for U23s. A sense of realism is required.

I really thought cadamarteri was going to be something special. Liked his hairdo as well!

....the point I was making is those lads were first team regulars at 17, Simms is not even an U23 regular at 18.

A couple of points mate. Firstly players make debuts later these days (a problem for England). Secondly his record is better than any of the above strikers at under 18's. Third we were more desperate for players back then (and had a much weaker reserve team). He has a Scottish under 21 regular ahead of him now. That was never the case for the lads above.

That being said there does need some perspective with Simms.

Lots of differing opinions, which is fair enough, but a lot of people appear to know little about him and just how much he’s come on this season. For those who follow these things , he first appeared in one of those youth pre season tournaments before last season. He was big , strong and looked as likely to bounce a pass off his shin as find the net , often doing both in a match. At the time he was well regarded , having come to us via City and Blackburn. When the season began, he made little impact at u18 , rarely starting , and it was Anthony Gordon who was then banging in goals for fun and gaining all the attention. Early 2018 he started getting regular starting game time and scored a few goals in the run in and was now starting to look like a decent player . But again he was overshadowed, this time by Manasse Mampala who outscored him in the run in.

So he really only starting playing u18 regularly about 15 months ago , and you have to say the impact in 9 months this season has been ,well phenomenal, I can’t recall anyone even close to his record in u18 football, although often the exceptional players are moved up early and don’t play many u18 games. His development this season has been fantastic and Paul Tait and his coaches deserve great credit in aiding this. He’s still big , strong, bullies smaller opponents, stumbles over the ball occasionally , but give him a bit of space and he lashes the ball into the net with left foot, right foot and often from the narrowest of angles. He’s doing things now he wasn’t doing 18 months ago . All these kids have an individual plan , goals and steps to achieve along the way and the way they’ve worked on his weaknesses in the past 18 months is to be applauded.

His appearances for the U23s have not been impressive, but he’s scored a few goals. The big difference apart from the obvious one of playing against bigger more skilful players is that the u18s have a marvellous midfield three who create a bag full of chances every match, whereas comparatively the U23s are very strong defensively and create fewer chances for the forwards. For me he’s nowhere near ready for the 1st team , but if we can get him playing in an attacking U23s team we might get to see exactly what he’s got . Then the next stage of his development begins , teaching him to play with his back to goal , holding up the ball , bringing others into play and “leading the line” - at the moment he is the line, get the ball to Ellis and he’ll head directly for goal shoot and either score or miss. He’s got so much more developing to do , but he’s come so far, and I’m happy to leave his development in the hands of our coaches . For me It’s exciting wondering which future direction he’ll go .

Status
Not open for further replies.