Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Rooney & Barkley, I can't think of any young players who have been fast tracked past the U23s ...it seems like there's a plan to always have them play for a long time in the U23s. What do you think?
I hope that Unsworth and Brands will have some kind of much better strategy about these kinds of things now and we can trust that they'll take care of people like this

Since Rooney & Barkley, I can't think of any young players who have been fast tracked past the U23s ...it seems like there's a plan to always have them play for a long time in the U23s. What do you think?
I hope that Unsworth and Brands will have some kind of much better strategy about these kinds of things now and we can trust that they'll take care of people like this
I don't even think Barkley completely bypassed the u23s did he? I don't think it's necessarily a specific plan to keep them in the u23s for any period of time, it's just that you have to be exceptional to be ready to go straight from playing against 15 year olds in kids football to playing in the PL, so natural progression means you will step up through the age groups, that's why they're there.

I don't even think Barkley completely bypassed the u23s did he? I don't think it's necessarily a specific plan to keep them in the u23s for any period of time, it's just that you have to be exceptional to be ready to go straight from playing against 15 year olds in kids football to playing in the PL, so natural progression means you will step up through the age groups, that's why they're there.

Yes and think they only fast track the ones who look to be physically stronger than average, so that they can actually handle the fitness and power required

Add Kieran ‘Fast as F’ Agaard to that list.

But it is a bit puzzling why Simms hasn’t been moved up to the U23s as it would hardly be fast tracking given his age and stats up to now.

Perhaps we have decent prospects at all age groups so it’s better they’re all getting football than some sitting on the bench. Maybe the club reckon Sambou and that tall lad who played in the Europa for us might have a chance as well as Simms and there’s no point all three vying for the same spots.

I have seen many players over the years come through and not make it

Rob Wakenshaw
Stuart Barlow
Michael Branch
Nick Chadwick
Phil Jevons scored a horrifc amount of goals and didn't look like a premier league player
Danny Cadamarteri
Francis Jeffers - the exception for me, had he stayed he would have made it
Keiran Agard
James Vaughan
Victor Anichebe

Rooney was a freak of nature. But regarding Sims, time will have to tell

A lot of players have made it at lower leagues though, did you know Agard is one of the top scorers this season in league 2? Barlow, Branch, Chadwick all scored goals in their careers. The top league is such a high standard and with the foreign imports its never going to be easy for English young lads to break through
Vaughan has probably had the best career having left from that list

Rob Wakenshaw
Stuart Barlow
Michael Branch
Nick Chadwick
Phil Jevons scored a horrifc amount of goals and didn't look like a premier league player
Danny Cadamarteri
Keiran Agard
James Vaughan
Victor Anichebe

A lot of players have made it at lower leagues though, did you know Agard is one of the top scorers this season in league 2? Barlow, Branch, Chadwick all scored goals in their careers. The top league is such a high standard and with the foreign imports its never going to be easy for English young lads to break through

Vaughan is one that had the talent, but not the body for it

Perhaps we have decent prospects at all age groups so it’s better they’re all getting football than some sitting on the bench. Maybe the club reckon Sambou and that tall lad who played in the Europa for us might have a chance as well as Simms and there’s no point all three vying for the same spots.
Good point. It’s either that or he is just missing something from his game that needs worked on first before moving him up.

Vaughan is one that had the talent, but not the body for it
James Vaughan: :eek:

He's 18, he's taking the piss at that U18 level - what is it, 43 goals in 33 games? Why isn't he now a regular in the U23s?

If he's not in contention now with that record, then what's the point of that team/league?

I don't think they should have revamped the 'Reserves'.
My guess is, with the 23s chasing another title Unsie is reluctant to bed in a youngster and risk damaging their title chances. I hope that’s not the case because otherwise what’s the point but that’s my gut feeling.
That goal return is ridiculous at any age though. If we read reports that Marcel was scouting a lad the same age in South America with those stats we’d be giddy with excitement. I get not wanting to put pressure on the kid but at the same time there’s no harm in being optimistic about exciting young talent in the youth ranks.
Get the boy in the 23s, see how he fairs against bigger and better players and go from there.

My guess is, with the 23s chasing another title Unsie is reluctant to bed in a youngster and risk damaging their title chances. I hope that’s not the case because otherwise what’s the point but that’s my gut feeling.
That goal return is ridiculous at any age though. If we read reports that Marcel was scouting a lad the same age in South America with those stats we’d be giddy with excitement. I get not wanting to put pressure on the kid but at the same time there’s no harm in being optimistic about exciting young talent in the youth ranks.
Get the boy in the 23s, see how he fairs against bigger and better players and go from there.
Seems to be what a lot of people say but the facts don't really support it. The last squad he picked included Astley, Gibson, Gordon and Denny, who are all 17 or 18. Fraser Hornby's only 19 but people are calling for him to be binned to bring in somebody 1 year younger on the basis that he might be better. The likes of Feeney and Markelo were playing regularly for Unsworth at 18, he doesn't just pack the team with older players. We also have a DoF as you mention, so surely he would intervene if he felt a great prospect was being unfairly held back due to the reserve manager's vanity project. If he wouldn't then he's not the man we need and we should bin him.

Rob Wakenshaw
Stuart Barlow
Michael Branch
Nick Chadwick
Danny Cadamarteri
Keiran Agard
James Vaughan
Victor Anichebe

Branch was the one I was most gutted about. Came through a couple of years after Fowler burst on the scene for them lot and was hyped in the Echo / Evertonian etc as our version. Had pace to burn but unfortunately just wasn't that good. Ended up in the nick a few years back

Scott ‘the next rooney’ Spencer
Femi Orenuga
Chris Long
Jutkiewicz
JP Kissock
Ryan Ledson

We love to overhype a youngster.
Kissock was actually proper good, a bit small maybe to play at the top level but very fast and crazy close control, his problem was he just was not that interested in playing football, more into his music and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.