Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Other existing squad member

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • None of the above - sign a leader

Votes: 21 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allan or Digne are the obvious experienced choices. Personally, I'd give it to Holgate, a younger captain to lead the team to the new stadium.
Only problem there is if we sign a decent right back don’t think holgate is an automatic starter

Its a very interesting and pressing point , we certainly have struggled on this front

Keane with concerns as has been mentioned , after that Holgate reckon he has the right Character

Digne for me. Massive concern this season is our captain and vice captain are consistently our worst performers, never really a good thing when that happens. Holgate definitely has potential to be one day, Godfrey too. Feel we need another couple who can take responsibility and act as leaders, especially in midfield

I'm slightly offended that I wasn't offered at least the opportunity to vote solely for Pickford. I mean if you see a plate of cheesy toe-nail clippings on the buffet spread you don't necessarily pile some on your plate but it would be nice to at least be able to say no then throw up violently all over the gaff.

The whole concept of a captain is massively overrrated. All of our players should be leaders. That's the case in the best sides. It's a symbolic role. That said, far better to have a world-class player that everyone admires going up for the coin toss and handshake with officials to set the tone at the start of the match than somebody who, while honest, struggles to pass a football.

People go on about Kevin Ratcliffe as an ideal captain. Thing is, Ratcliffe may have had a role in the dressing room, but that side was full of leaders (Reid, Gray, Southall, Bracewell, etc.). It's massively overrated - but it's symbolism has a value. Our image should be impressive. Not Seamus Coleman.

would be tempted to give it Godfrey and just say there you are lad, go lead us, go be our main man for years

Keane not vocal enough and I'd hope by next year it's Holgate and Godfrey at cb with some absolute flyer at right back

Would also back James as being a symbolic talismanic role, and ensuring our captain is actually on the pitch.

None for Siggy, god it will be depressing when he is named club captain, the lily livered coward

I'm slightly offended that I wasn't offered at least the opportunity to vote solely for Pickford. I mean if you see a plate of cheesy toe-nail clippings on the buffet spread you don't necessarily pile some on your plate but it would be nice to at least be able to say no then throw up violently all over the gaff.
Please accept my profuse apologies for the ridiculous faux pas on my part.

The whole concept of a captain is massively overrrated. All of our players should be leaders. That's the case in the best sides. It's a symbolic role. That said, far better to have a world-class player that everyone admires going up for the coin toss and handshake with officials to set the tone at the start of the match than somebody who, while honest, struggles to pass a football.

People go on about Kevin Ratcliffe as an ideal captain. Thing is, Ratcliffe may have had a role in the dressing room, but that side was full of leaders (Reid, Gray, Southall, Bracewell, etc.). It's massively overrated - but it's symbolism has a value. Our image should be impressive. Not Seamus Coleman.
I agree with most of this, but whilst we lack the large number of leaders to which you refer, we at least need ONE good leader as our captain. Perhaps we'll be looking at a different landscape at the end of August.

I agree with most of this, but whilst we lack the large number of leaders to which you refer, we at least need ONE good leader as our captain. Perhaps we'll be looking at a different landscape at the end of August.
Leadership takes many forms. Leading by example or by sheer moral authority is every bit as legitimate as clenching a fist. As with so many things in our side, the problem isn't James. James is the gem, the jewel. It's the rest of the rabble we need to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.