EFL Championship Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI

The EFL Championship starts on the weekend of 30th July 2022 and will pause for 5 weeks from 14th November till 10th December to accommodate the World Cup in Qatar. The final day of the season will be weekend 6th May with the play off finals scheduled for 27th-29th May.

Championship fixtures are released in June, 24 teams in the league with a total of 46 league games.

Finances are to be hit the hardest, currently Everton earn in excess of £100m for being in the PL, relegation would see this figure plummet to just c£40m falling to £35 in the next year and £15m in the 3rd year down, all these payments then cease after that. Imagine what these losses are likely to be without Premier League money? Whilst in the Premier League we posted losses of £170m over the last 2 years.

Reading FC were deducted 6 points this season for breaking profit and sustainability rules, Readings wage bill was £41m. Our wage bill is c£72m on a turnover likely to be reduced by £60m-£70m. No doubt we could be subject to punishment immediately as we implemented a fire sell of any saleable assets at the club, this might have to include players like Anthony Gordon if others are harder to move on, we know the ones.

The 1st round of the Carabao Cup (League Cup) will commence on 8th August, we will be in this. The final day of the season will be weekend 6th May with the play off finals scheduled for 27th-29th May.

For the FA Cup Championships clubs join at the second round stage.

3 teams are promoted, 2 automatically and 1 via a 4 team play off, 3 teams are relegated. Fulham and Marco Silva has been promoted to the Premier League and Bournemouth are the favourites to join them, play off places are likely to be filled by Huddersfield, Nottingham Forest, Luton Town and Sheffield United. Wayne Rooneys Derby have been relegated for fanancial issues whilst Peterbrough and Barnsley have dropped to League 1.

Potential Constitution:-

Everton
Watford
Norwich
Huddersfield *
Nottm Forest *
Luton *
Sheffield Utd *
Millwall
Middlesborough
Backburn
QPR
Coventry
Stoke
West Brom
Swansea
Preston
Blackpool
Bristol City
Hull
Cardiff
Birmingham
Reading
Wigan
Rotherham
MK Dons *
Sunderland *
Plymouth *
Wycombe *

*Play offs

Goodison Park will be the biggest stadium in the Championship, the next biggest will be Middlesboroughs Riverside Stadium which holds 33,746. Our very own dockside stadium Bramley Moore would be 20,000 bigger than the next biggest and would certainly be the newest.

On the plus side away tickets will not be so hard to come by, when relegated I fear we will never get back to the Premier League due to the financial state of the club. We think we`ve had it bad for 27 years, you haven`t seen anything yet.

Id get a ban for rising to this.

Championship wouldn't be giving any punishment out until the following season meaning we would have next season to try get our house in order / get back up.

The drop in TV money will be offset by selling DCL, Richarlison and Pickford you would imagine.

All in all - stop worrying about something you have no control of.
All in all - stop telling people how they should feel when they are so upset at what the future holds for their club

You are the only person I've seen on here saying they'd be OK with relegation. Others can feel how they like, there's no right or wrong here. But this is affecting people a lot. I wish I could get it out of my mind but the worry is there every morning.

It's a depressing enough time to be a Blue as it is without another attention-seeking beaut starting off more 'Championship' threads.

Agree but we go again mate every game now we back them make this team go out for us. Going down is not good lets talk about this if it happens. Trhreads like this just out to cause trouble imo
All in all - stop telling people how they should feel when they are so upset at what the future holds for their club

You are the only person I've seen on here saying they'd be OK with relegation. Others can feel how they like, there's no right or wrong here. But this is affecting people a lot. I wish I could get it out of my mind but the worry is there every morning.

They need telling mate because its a sickness born out of scaremongering.

You, I, Esk or anyone else on this board or internet does not know what will happen between now and the first game of next season. No one knows what league we'll be in, who our owner will be, who our manager will, what our squad will be.

Hence stop worrying about it.

Do you go to bed every night worrying what happens when you die? No because 1. no one knows the answer to that and 2. Regardless you have no control over it anyway - same as our situation.

If we are in The Championship whilst there will be a lot of fall-out to put it mildly, I don't accept that we would struggle in it as an inevitability.

We need a complete refocus of our recruitment in either case. The basic building blocks of recovery whether from just about surviving as a PL club or beginning life as a championship one are the same - good recruitment and good management.

Many heads would have to roll but should it come to it let's see how it turns. I want to support the club. If we continue to take bad decisions we will go down next season or the season after. I'm convinced of that.

FYI

The EFL Championship starts on the weekend of 30th July 2022 and will pause for 5 weeks from 14th November till 10th December to accommodate the World Cup in Qatar. The final day of the season will be weekend 6th May with the play off finals scheduled for 27th-29th May.

Championship fixtures are released in June, 24 teams in the league with a total of 46 league games.

Finances are to be hit the hardest, currently Everton earn in excess of £100m for being in the PL, relegation would see this figure plummet to just c£40m falling to £35 in the next year and £15m in the 3rd year down, all these payments then cease after that. Imagine what these losses are likely to be without Premier League money? Whilst in the Premier League we posted losses of £170m over the last 2 years.

Reading FC were deducted 6 points this season for breaking profit and sustainability rules, Readings wage bill was £41m. Our wage bill is c£72m on a turnover likely to be reduced by £60m-£70m. No doubt we could be subject to punishment immediately as we implemented a fire sell of any saleable assets at the club, this might have to include players like Anthony Gordon if others are harder to move on, we know the ones.

The 1st round of the Carabao Cup (League Cup) will commence on 8th August, we will be in this. The final day of the season will be weekend 6th May with the play off finals scheduled for 27th-29th May.

For the FA Cup Championships clubs join at the second round stage.

3 teams are promoted, 2 automatically and 1 via a 4 team play off, 3 teams are relegated. Fulham and Marco Silva has been promoted to the Premier League and Bournemouth are the favourites to join them, play off places are likely to be filled by Huddersfield, Nottingham Forest, Luton Town and Sheffield United. Wayne Rooneys Derby have been relegated for fanancial issues whilst Peterbrough and Barnsley have dropped to League 1.

Potential Constitution:-

Everton
Watford
Norwich
Huddersfield *
Nottm Forest *
Luton *
Sheffield Utd *
Millwall
Middlesborough
Backburn
QPR
Coventry
Stoke
West Brom
Swansea
Preston
Blackpool
Bristol City
Hull
Cardiff
Birmingham
Reading
Wigan
Rotherham
MK Dons *
Sunderland *
Plymouth *
Wycombe *

*Play offs

Goodison Park will be the biggest stadium in the Championship, the next biggest will be Middlesboroughs Riverside Stadium which holds 33,746. Our very own dockside stadium Bramley Moore would be 20,000 bigger than the next biggest and would certainly be the newest.

On the plus side away tickets will not be so hard to come by, when relegated I fear we will never get back to the Premier League due to the financial state of the club. We think we`ve had it bad for 27 years, you haven`t seen anything yet.

Put your head in the oven

Squad wise: I see 75% of this squad being gone if we go down.

Delph. Tosun. Sigurdsson on frees.

Good money for richarlison, DCL, Mina possibly.

You’d think Pickford would go if there are clubs looking for a keeper upgrade.

I’d also see Allan,doucoure, Keane, Holgate, grey, dele and Iwobi leaving.

You’d end up with a core squad remaining of Coleman, Patterson, Davies, branthwaite, mykolenko, Rondon, Gordon(hopefully), Townsend - then loan players like Simms, broadhead and Gbamin possibly be given opportunities.

Squad be beefed up by a number of loans/young players and the odd freebie/sensible signing…

Either way. The starting lineup would be unrecognisable and I would have no faith they’d be good enough to come straight back up.

If it means finally getting rid of players like Mina, Pickford, Gomes, Allan and makes Iwobi, Richy, Dom all want to wriggle moves away....I'm all for it.

Anyone else like Keane, Holgate, Godfrey want to jump, they can go too..

Status
Not open for further replies.