Don't tell me Sky Sports don't do this to annoy Everton fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the coeficient not worked out from match results using a known formulae. In other words how does money talk?
Yes it is, but there's another factor. The 3 "Biggest" Leagues in Europe get an extra place, and currently according to UEFA the top three country coefficients are Spain, England and Germany, in that order. Italy is fourth, but because it has one team fewer (6 rather than 7) counting, there's quite a gap. Because England is guaranteed to have 3 teams in the group stages (they changed it a couple of years ago so 3rd place in the league no longer has a qualifier to play) then it's practically impossible for Italy or anyone to overtake England.

The link to the revenue of the individual country was made to me by someone from the Bundesliga at a sports conference I was at in Asia a few years ago. I think that England, or I suppose UK, has the highest rights fee of the lot. Our somewhat sour Kraut was lamenting that it meant that because revenue for CL clubs is a combination of prize money (UEFA) and market pool (revenue based on your own country) then a German team winning the CL would earn less than an English team going out in the quarters.

In 2013 Bayern won, and banked EUR 55m, of which EUR 36m was UEFA price money. Juventus, who went out in the quarters, banked EUR 65.3m, of which EUR 20.5m was UEFA prize money.

So in short, yes it's based on coefficients but in true UEFA style it's designed to protect the countries that generate the most revenue.
If Italy where to suddenly develop a competitive TV market and bid big, UEFA would find a way to move them up, likely at the expense of Germany.
England is in a stronger position than Spain (which has a TV market skewed by the big two)
English clubs in the CL will make more money than ever from next season, thanks to BT Sport

Yes it is, but there's another factor. The 3 "Biggest" Leagues in Europe get an extra place, and currently according to UEFA the top three country coefficients are Spain, England and Germany, in that order. Italy is fourth, but because it has one team fewer (6 rather than 7) counting, there's quite a gap. Because England is guaranteed to have 3 teams in the group stages (they changed it a couple of years ago so 3rd place in the league no longer has a qualifier to play) then it's practically impossible for Italy or anyone to overtake England.

The link to the revenue of the individual country was made to me by someone from the Bundesliga at a sports conference I was at in Asia a few years ago. I think that England, or I suppose UK, has the highest rights fee of the lot. Our somewhat sour Kraut was lamenting that it meant that because revenue for CL clubs is a combination of prize money (UEFA) and market pool (revenue based on your own country) then a German team winning the CL would earn less than an English team going out in the quarters.

In 2013 Bayern won, and banked EUR 55m, of which EUR 36m was UEFA price money. Juventus, who went out in the quarters, banked EUR 65.3m, of which EUR 20.5m was UEFA prize money.

So in short, yes it's based on coefficients but in true UEFA style it's designed to protect the countries that generate the most revenue.
If Italy where to suddenly develop a competitive TV market and bid big, UEFA would find a way to move them up, likely at the expense of Germany.
England is in a stronger position than Spain (which has a TV market skewed by the big two)
English clubs in the CL will make more money than ever from next season, thanks to BT Sport

Funny-gif-too-long-didnt-read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.