2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It bounced off him from a yard out. With dismal quality out wide, we need strikers that can create a chance themselves, Dom is incapable of that. He’ll only score when it’s on an absolute plate.

Hence why he looked so good with Rodriguez feeding him all those beautiful through balls :(

I wonder how much of his lack of chances was down to having no game plan in the final third. I remember an interview where Lampard said they coached loads to get to the final third but once they get there it’s up to some individual magic…

Well Dyche won’t have that - it’ll be hit the big man, get the ball in the box. Don’t be surprised to see Dom a lot more involved like he was under Ancelotti’s style of play.

He has it in him, the goal at Palace proved that it is not an impossibility that he can create chances for himself.

Confidence and the right tactics are needed to get the best out him. As people have said, if we can get him in the same areas Ancelotti had him then there is hope. The quality is not as good as it was then, admittedly but if we can create enough chances/half chances then Calvert-Lewin may get the goals we need, maybe along with Maupay.

Does anyone have a definitive list of goals Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored from more than 6 yards out? I bet the number he has bundled in from inside of 6 yards is disproportionately high compared to other strikers

And I don't think he's ever had a shot on goal from outside the box let alone scored one

Didn't stop people like Inzaghi and RvN having decent careers. Never understood people's obsession with long range goals.

Didn't stop people like Inzaghi and RvN having decent careers. Never understood people's obsession with long range goals.
It's not an obsession

Just an observation.

The argument is DCL can't create his own chances. Many times strikers can create their own chances from outside the box, wrongfooting defenders and finding a lane through which to get a ball on target. DCL doesn't do that. He essentially only can score via one touch, service-based goals.

It's not an obsession

Just an observation.

The argument is Dominic Calvert-Lewin can't create his own chances. Many times strikers can create their own chances from outside the box, wrongfooting defenders and finding a lane through which to get a ball on target. Dominic Calvert-Lewin doesn't do that. He essentially only can score via one touch, service-based goals.
Neither did Inzaghi or RvN, as per Nymzee.

In fact we've not had a striker that does that consistently for ages.

It's not an obsession

Just an observation.

The argument is Dominic Calvert-Lewin can't create his own chances. Many times strikers can create their own chances from outside the box, wrongfooting defenders and finding a lane through which to get a ball on target. Dominic Calvert-Lewin doesn't do that. He essentially only can score via one touch, service-based goals.

Neither of those two world class legendary strikers made their own chances. Loads of strikers don't. He never will either but doesn't mean he can't (obviously) score goals.

I don't think he is up for the fight we will have on our hands. Fully expect a bunch of minor injuries that keep him off the pitch for stretches at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.