2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully fit, he absolutely would do.

No evidence based on current form. The injuries have fundamentally changed him as a player and he is no longer effective at this level. He is not going to be a natural goalscorer at championship level either going forward.

He used to be really good, but now he's really pretty poor for this level. At some point we have got to stop using the fitness and service arguments and accept that he is just a player who has declined significantly.

If he has a fear of getting injured, he shouldn’t be playing and picking up wages. He gets paid to score goals and isn’t doing it…..
You can't tell me you weren't expecting it take a while to get match sharp after so long out Pete surely? I think that's unfair and unrealistic and once again boils down to Thelwell not getting someone else who is similar in style, Maupay can score but he needs completely different service to Dom. very weird signing in isolation.

No evidence based on current form. The injuries have fundamentally changed him as a player and he is no longer effective at this level. He is not going to be a natural goalscorer at championship level either going forward.

He used to be really good, but now he's really pretty poor for this level. At some point we have got to stop using the fitness and service arguments and accept that he is just a player who has declined significantly.
Look, Everton's squad is awful. But if it went down I guarantee you over a season we would walk it,if the squad stayed as is. That's the gap here.

Now of course if we go down, the squad won't stay as it is.

But I find it funny the same old people who criticised Dom in 20-21 for 'not scoring the right kind of goals' when he was on 20 goals for the season by about March are the ones who insist he's crap.

Dan Ashworth and Eddie Howe, everyone's flavour of the month, rate him and might well come in for him this month. If he'd not been injured all of last season we all know we'd have been nowhere near where we finished.

He's not brilliant, but it's hard when you're so starved of quality service. The injuries make getting any form of sharpness or cohesion harder and the quality in reserve is absolutely not there to push him or replace him effectively.

He needs to get sharper, and that will come by playing games, so that when/if the service does arrive (there was one yesterday where Iwobi got a ball in and it was just ahead of him) he puts away those chances.

Ok mate, we will be able to judge next season if he continues leading the line this season for us then won't we.
He won't be in the Championship because people who know a lot more about football than you or I will sign him for cheap.

He's not an amazing player, I'm not making him out to be.

He’s not the best had a good 3 months, is that due to confidence or mentally worrying about injuries if he can have a run of games and be confident his body can hold up I think we see a better DCL can see he’s frustrated up top he’s been crap, but at the same time so is the majority of service he’s getting into him big chance yesterday from a good ball in he slides in and misses it could of possibly changed the game getting a goal. Needs to start scoring goals if we have any chance of staying up

Look, Everton's squad is awful. But if it went down I guarantee you over a season we would walk it,if the squad stayed as is. That's the gap here.

But I find it funny the same old people who criticised Dom in 20-21 for 'not scoring the right kind of goals' when he was on 20 goals for the season by about March are the ones who insist he's crap.

Dan Ashworth and Eddie Howe, everyone's flavour of the month, rate him and might well come in for him this month. If he'd not been injured all of last season we all know we'd have been nowhere near where we finished.

He's not brilliant, but it's hard when you're so starved of quality service. The injuries make getting any form of sharpness or cohesion harder and the quality in reserve is absolutely not there to push him or replace him effectively.

He needs to get sharper, and that will come by playing games, so that when/if the service does arrive (there was one yesterday where Iwobi got a ball in and it was just ahead of him) he puts away those chances.
We haven’t got the money to be keeping the squad the same can’t pay them kind of wages in the championship.

I'm not saying he was rubbish at all. I'm saying he used to be really good but the evidence is that he has regressed enormously and is now really poor.

I can only say what I see. His performances since the injury in August 2021 have by and large been extremely poor. He is no longer the same player. We need to accept reality.

You can't tell me you weren't expecting it take a while to get match sharp after so long out Pete surely? I think that's unfair and unrealistic and once again boils down to Thelwell not getting someone else who is similar in style, Maupay can score but he needs completely different service to Dom. very weird signing in isolation.

I may have been a bit unfair, but apart from a short period of goal scoring, in what seems an age ago, he adds very little….

I'm not saying he was rubbish at all. I'm saying he used to be really good but the evidence is that he has regressed enormously and is now really poor.

I can only say what I see. His performances since the injury in August 2021 have by and large been extremely poor. He is no longer the same player. We need to accept reality.
His last 18 months are a huge concern and his all-round game has definitely suffered. That is something he needs to improve.

What is not in his control is the crap quality of the players we have who are supposed to be creating chances for him, or the poor systems he's playing in.

I absolutely agree we should have already replaced him in the squad to some extent.

They don't try it on their own though, Pete. They don't shoot.

Gray, McNeil, Gordon and Iwobi. Those are the creative players we have. That's why we are so bad.

And that’s another bleeding thing, seriously what is stopping players having a shot…..sorry for the frustration…

He won't be in the Championship because people who know a lot more about football than you or I will sign him for cheap.

He's not an amazing player, I'm not making him out to be.
If someone pays money for him on current form I'd suggest they know very little about football

Status
Not open for further replies.