2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you agree he’s not good enough?

He's a young lad, talented, improving & hopefully gets minutes next season as back-up to a proven striker.

My original post was merely pointing out last season Everton were a better team with him than without him which is undeniable and I think he doesn't deserve as much crap as he keeps getting.

He's a young lad, talented, improving & hopefully gets minutes next season as back-up to a proven striker.

My original post was merely pointing out last season Everton were a better team with him than without him which is undeniable and I think he doesn't deserve as much crap as he keeps getting.
THANK YOU!

Ask a Leicester fan, Claude Puyol was useless and they can’t do any worse. Plus they have a decent team and Rodgers is a capable manager.

We would have finished higher than 8th if we had a striker who could finish. That isn’t a dig at DCL, but for a team that wants to go higher than 8th, you need someone who can score.

He wasn't missing loads of chances though. We have goals from a number of sources.We had someone who could score and finished in roughly the same position.

It really isn't the quick fix that some people think it is.

He’s 23 this season, he’s not that young anymore. He’s a year older than Rashford (who isn’t prolific and has played wide most of last season) and has been putting up worse numbers than him for two seasons.

Hand on heart, he might reach Welbeck levels for us and be a semi decent back-up striker but he’s never going to have a breakthrough because he simply isn’t clinical enough.

That said, he’s a hard working lad and i’ve got time for him, I just think we also have to aspire to better if we want to get amongst the top six.

He’s 23 this season, he’s not that young anymore. He’s a year older than Rashford (who isn’t prolific and has played wide most of last season) and has been putting up worse numbers than him for two seasons.

Hand on heart, he might reach Welbeck levels for us and be a semi decent back-up striker but he’s never going to have a breakthrough because he simply isn’t clinical enough.

That said, he’s a hard working lad and i’ve got time for him, I just think we also have to aspire to better if we want to get amongst the top six.

DCL has not been playing as a central striker the past 2 seasons either though. It was only the second half of last season when he started to play a more central role.

The numbers he is putting up are not really important. They don't tell a full story. Last season I though the did a good job for the team.

We need another option up front anyway I reckon, that doesn't mean that we just discard DCL though. Alternate them, even play them together every once in a while. He is a useful player.

Patience is a virtue.

36/37 season.
_20190719_132530.JPG

The numbers he is putting up are not really important. They don't tell a full story. Last season I though the did a good job for the team.

He is a centre forward by trade. His numbers matter. He can be shifted out wide to “do a job for the team” but make no mistake, he’s there for goals.

In our system, his numbers only become insignificant if we have the majority of our goals coming from wide or midfield. Again, hating to use them as an example but they are the most obvious one, if Salah and Mane are banging them in, it doesn’t matter that Firmino only averages 1:3, well below what you’d expect for a CF.

DCL averages about 1:6 for us. So it’s always going to be a problem. Particularly for us, who as a team do not score enough goals. To break that top six, we’re missing about an extra 10-15 goals a season from somewhere.

He is a centre forward by trade. His numbers matter. He can be shifted out wide to “do a job for the team” but make no mistake, he’s there for goals.

In our system, his numbers only become insignificant if we have the majority of our goals coming from wide or midfield. Again, hating to use them as an example but they are the most obvious one, if Salah and Mane are banging them in, it doesn’t matter that Firmino only averages 1:3, well below what you’d expect for a CF.

DCL averages about 1:6 for us. So it’s always going to be a problem. Particularly for us, who as a team do not score enough goals. To break that top six, we’re missing about an extra 10-15 goals a season from somewhere.

The numbers do not matter if we are winning games which we were towards the end of the season.

Our goals do come from wide or midfield though hence Richarlison and Sigurdsson being our top scorers. Ok they are not Salah numbers but not many teams can manage that.

DCL has played most of his career for us away from the centre, he only started doing it regularly towards the end of last season. Thing is we are not missing loads of chances from centre forward. If you were to pop Lukaku back in that position not much would change because the striker would still not be getting chances.

Personally I think what we need to do more than just buying a striker (I am certainly not against it) is to be better with our decision making and final ball in the final third. We waste so many good opportunities, not just shots on goal but poor crosses, shooting instead of passing and vise versa etc.

Personally I think what we need to do more than just buying a striker (I am certainly not against it) is to be better with our decision making and final ball in the final third. We waste so many good opportunities, not just shots on goal but poor crosses, shooting instead of passing and vise versa etc.

Completely agree with this mate. I just believe that the solution isn’t within the capabilities of the current personnel and, even for a squad player, DCL is unlikely to be good enough.

Put it this way, I think if we put him up for sale, the teams who would consider going in for him would be bottom half.

Palace, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley.

No matter where you sit on the DCL abilities / potential debate .....bottom line is the start of the season is massive for him. He is obviously going to be part of the lineup in the first third of the season ( even if we actually bring someone in ) .....he absolutely needs to increase his scoring / assists , especially given our first set of fixtures.
Hopefully he can make the jump ..... we need it !

So where is he? Kenny and Dowell who were with him for England u21 games are both training and playing for their respective league and clubs. Unless he’s being deliberately held back. As much as we love prince Oumar one more game watching him leading the attack against Wigan and the clamour from even DCL doubters to get him playing will be deafening.

So where is he? Kenny and Dowell who were with him for England u21 games are both training and playing for their respective league and clubs. Unless he’s being deliberately held back. As much as we love prince Oumar one more game watching him leading the attack against Wigan and the clamour from even DCL doubters to get him playing will be deafening.

He had an injury didnt he?

Back injury? Maybe thats a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.