2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I comparing him to them or am I naming strikers who were viewed as quality despite not being known as goalscorers... therefore supporting the view that strikerscarw not necessarily judged on goals.

Ffs the lack of compression on here is startling.

Either way Lewin couldn't be further away from those names mentioned regardless of what view you choose to swallow to be honest. I get your point of course but you could also argue that he is similar John Carew as one example off the top of my head, but that doesn't sound as glamorous though.

Either way Lewin couldn't be further away from those names mentioned regardless of what view you choose to swallow to be honest. I get your point of course but you could also argue that he is similar John Carew as one example off the top of my head, but that doesn't sound as glamorous though.

Either way I wasn't comparing him to them end of!!!.... how was that difficult for the posters above to understand..

now if you want to ask me if he is as good as or will be as good as any of them the answer is no and very unlikely......

Either way my point is that great players have existed as strikers without being prolific a d given DCL's physical attributes, work ethic and general play he can carve out a very good career. Especially if he adds finishing to his game.

Either way I wasn't comparing him to them end of!!!.... how was that difficult for the posters above to understand..

now if you want to ask me if he is as good as or will be as good as any of them the answer is no and very unlikely......

Either way my point is that great players have existed as strikers without being prolific a d given DCL's physical attributes, work ethic and general play he can carve out a very good career. Especially if he adds finishing to his game.

I know you are comparing their lack of goals I get it but Lewin doesn't have much else either just yet except the basics the past few games.

No we still need a striker regardless of what you or I think.

Physical attributes won't cut now days, maybe for Cardiff or Burnley but we need the full package or closest too it.
Huge huge if with the finishing aspect though.

I did!!! And that's where you fail my old China.... you need to get better at this stuff.... you are looking a right lemon. Starting to try and rescue it with levels now too eh? I'm sure we could loan DCL to tranmere and watch him plunder 30 goals to mess that debate up.

Ferdinand.... QPR, signed for them in 87 aged 21.... loaned out to brentford and besiktas came back did nothing of note for 2 season till he hit 10 goals in 23 games in 1992 aged 26....

Vardy... 25 goals in his first 100 games for Leicester....1 in 4.

Luca Toni only broke double figures in a season for first time aged 22 for Lothian with 15 in whatever league they played in....

Ian Wright 9 goals aged 22 in his first season at palace.....

Need I continue or do you still think goal scoring can't be learned?

I'll allow Thierry Henry to tell you....

"I was quick. I had to have 10 chances to convert one into a goal – but at the same time, I kept creating these chances. Then I told myself: “You won’t have these chances all the time. You must stick them into the net.” Then, to avoid over-thinking in front of the keeper you work on your finishing, so that it all becomes automatic, so that you don’t think anymore. The hardest thing for an attacking player? When he has time to think. So, with Claude Puel, who was then a fitness coach at Monaco, I went through session after session with dummies. I wasn’t born with a gift for goals. "

Vardy scored 26 in 37 for Halifax and 31 in 36 for Fleetwood before Leicester. He was always a natural goal scorer.

Fair enough if you believe DCL will go on to emulate the players mentioned. Bit i'm afraid he won't. He just isn't a natural goal scorer

No i haven't. I bet anybody who watched Drogba in those years knew he was going to be a very good player.

His career is a perfect trajectory... start young.. and improve as you go up through the leagues and clubs. His record improved with better players around him.

DCL has gone the other way

A year before he went to Chelsea he was linked to us and a host of grim premier lea
1 in 3 which is pretty similar to his benfica record and his Mexico record

I suggest you have a look at his career record mate.

Vardy scored 26 in 37 for Halifax and 31 in 36 for Fleetwood before Leicester. He was always a natural goal scorer.

Fair enough if you believe DCL will go on to emulate the players mentioned. Bit i'm afraid he won't. He just isn't a natural goal scorer

I'll leave it to Jamie to answer this one....

“Non-league to Leicester was a big leap, though. That cut out a few divisions and I struggled a bit to start off with. I suppose I had a few doubts about my own ability but Nigel Pearson had a nice chat with me and told me it was exactly where I belonged. That helped, along with finally getting the chance to train full-time. The experience I picked up in that first year at Leicester meant the second season was where I really kicked on.”

The fookin kip of this thread.... embarrassing.

Plot a graph of this lads development and it's pointing upwards but that's not enough for some supposed fans.....

they want a marquee name to sing so they can go in another thread and say "look at this song I've made up lads.... I know he hasn't played for us yet and only signed after we increased his wages from £150k a week to £200k but he looked boss in the Dutch league..... take this beatles song and change it to this and them that... what dya reckon"

Half the fans needed a slap for their treatment of Stephen Naismith.... rinsed and booed before even given a chance. Showed more bottle, drive and commitment to the shirt plus important goals in big games than the likes of lukaku, yakubu etc.

Cry about lukaku as much as you want.... that lump hasn't improved in his game since he was 20... if anything he's gone worse. This kid is growing and learning and part of learning is having to go through testing times. He's in the midst of his first extended spell as a striker so ffs back the fook off. The transfer window isn't open yet so let the lad play the season out unless you think we should recall niasse or play tosun.

With the exception of your comment about Yakubu, who was such a natural and strong finisher (ruined by a terrible injury) that’s a good post.
If we bought a top striker there’d be some on here who’d want him gone after two months because he wasn’t leading the Golden Boot.....like constantly wanting to get rid of our best player who’s scored 13 goals because somebody paid £45M for him. Who cares what somebody else spent for one of our players...it’s not our money and we’re not paying for it with season ticket price increases.

....he got MoM in one of the recent TV games (Arsenal or Chelsea) for worrying the CBs from the first minute. VvD was terrific in the Goodison Derby but he certainly knew he’d been in a battle with DCL. Richarlison’s goal v Chelsea came from DCL winning a header from a corner and he scored a terrific header away recently.

He can hold the ball up, it’s his link play that will definitely improve with time. He is capable of some really nice touches but he is inconsistent in that department.

We need a top striker, but this lad will be a valuable asset in years to come I have no doubt about that. I don’t think he’s far off a full England call up, and i’m sure if Everton don’t want him there will be plenty of Premiership clubs who do.

Amazed you think he’s one of the worst you’ve seen. He’s the best the club currently have.
Eggs nailing it as per.

Status
Not open for further replies.