2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with Dom as a squad player who keeps on developing. I thought he was excellent v Chelsea.

But we need better. Much better. And he isn't there yet.

We need to sign someone who can come in and improve the team, and then have Dom as the second choice hopefully improving too.

He's shown he's willing to fight, and that'll help. But similarly when he's not at his best, it's clear what the team lacks. And we shouldn't be relying on a 22-year-old kid to lead the line all season.
That sums it up for me. At the moment he's capable of having good games, but when he's not good he can be horrible. His good games are getting more regular though to be fair to him, so hopefully by this time next year he'll be a fully rounded striker who can keep up these levels every week. I don't think he'll ever be a great goalscorer but if you've got good returns from Richarlison, Sigurdsson and whoever's on the other side then 12-15 is fine.

On the other side of it though, 22 isn't too young for a striker I don't think. It's an age where he still has plenty of time to improve, but it's certainly not uncommon for strikers to be playing every week at 22.

I reckon it's easy to underestimate the amount of ground he'd need to cover to do that where invariably it's him and maybe 1 other in a blue shirt covering half a football pitch when opposition defenders are playing out.

We see Bernard being a nuisance out wide, but if you think about it, he's operating over much smaller area.

It's the energy management element of being a lone striker, if he chases everything down he'll have nothing left in the tank for any lung busting counters later on.

yeah I was thinking its probably instructions and pacing. but its hard not to want him to be hassling that defender everytime. it is possible for a player to be that nuisance and to have the energy to be competitive for the 90.

Reactions: Sy-
A lot are saying he really put a shift in, but I spent much if the match wondering why he doesnt harry the defenders/keeper more when in possession. Luiz and Rudiger were regularly able to move out of defense with ease whilst Dom was just stationary covering space.

Maybe its instructions from Silva but at his age Id expect it to be easier to be flying from one defender to the other to make sure they don't have an easy time picking their pass

He does it a bit like, but I think he can do a lot more in that respect.

Nah he definitely needs to press more in my opinion. I’d say maybe he’s just not fit enough to do that but he’s a beast so it can’t be that.

Nah he definitely needs to press more in my opinion. I’d say maybe he’s just not fit enough to do that but he’s a beast so it can’t be that.

He is picking his spots to press. He should only be pressing when Gylfy and the wingers are pressing as well. I agree we look best as a team with a high press but if it is only one person pressing, modern teams can pass around that like it is nothing.

Hes had 14 games worth of minutes and netted 6 times. Thats a 16 goal return on average over 38 games.

Its impressive.

I think we will sign another young forward to compete with him and rotate. I dont think we will spend huge money on a proven forward.

Good stats. I'll be honest I don't get the whole "He just needs to add goals to his game" line. He's literally the only striker who scores, and as you point out, his haul per minutes is solid.

I understand the desire for people to bring in a big money striker, but I've been saying for a long time, just play the lad, let him develop and we've got a big money striker on our hands already. We just need to be a little more patient with talent that isn't ripe yet. Otherwise our strategy will be to let other people develop players and then pay top of the market prices for them...which is pretty much what the teams above us do, except they have more to offer those players at the moment.

Thought he lead the line well against two tough centre halves. His hold up play, especially the few he brought down on his chest was much improved. He's improving with game time which is all you can ask for with a kid.

He needs to improve more still but he's trending the right way currently. He shouldn't lose his place before the summer at least.

A lot are saying he really put a shift in, but I spent much if the match wondering why he doesnt harry the defenders/keeper more when in possession. Luiz and Rudiger were regularly able to move out of defense with ease whilst Dom was just stationary covering space.

Maybe its instructions from Silva but at his age Id expect it to be easier to be flying from one defender to the other to make sure they don't have an easy time picking their pass

He does it a bit like, but I think he can do a lot more in that respect.

Its hard leading the line, running the channels, making himself available for flicks, plus he did it on his own for 90minutes, sure he gets support from other players, but its physically demanding.

Sure we can expect more, but personally I was very pleased with what I saw, it was a real number 9 performance, if he continues to grow and improve he could be some player in 2 years, hes got all the tools, he just needs to stay injury free and keep his hunger.

We of course still need other options, we cant expect, nor is he quite ready to shoulder the role all on his own for a whole season, but a very promising player, bought for only 1.5m, which in the modern game is an utter steal.

I like him.

But then I always have.

thatsnoneofmy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.