2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stats. I'll be honest I don't get the whole "He just needs to add goals to his game" line. He's literally the only striker who scores, and as you point out, his haul per minutes is solid.

I understand the desire for people to bring in a big money striker, but I've been saying for a long time, just play the lad, let him develop and we've got a big money striker on our hands already. We just need to be a little more patient with talent that isn't ripe yet. Otherwise our strategy will be to let other people develop players and then pay top of the market prices for them...which is pretty much what the teams above us do, except they have more to offer those players at the moment.

I imagine we will be signing a player under 23 to rotate with DCL next season. I cant see us signing an older, experienced CF.

If DCL scored 15 over a season, Richarlison the same and then 2 others hit 10 then thats 50 goals without taking the rest of team into account.

I think DCL etc are fine we just need to fix tbe midfield next

Hes had 14 games worth of minutes and netted 6 times. Thats a 16 goal return on average over 38 games.

Its impressive.

I think we will sign another young forward to compete with him and rotate. I dont think we will spend huge money on a proven forward.

Doesn’t work like that tho , biases and nick chadwick had better goals to minutes than that and they’re tang

Are people really believing that Dominic Can’t finish Lewin should be picked for England.

Ok to give him credit he played well against Chelsea, but let’s not forget the Millwall game where he got totally marked out of the game and stunk the place out.

Putting a hard working shift in against a team like Chelsea who pin us back is one thing, playing most other teams where we need a forward who can drag defenders out of position and make runs between them and off their shoulder and get into the box is quite another. More often than not against most opposition we have to try and take the game to, DCL ends up running channels because he cant lose a defender. His ability to create space is not what it should be. Some will say he's 22 and needs time. For me, if you haven't got it at that stage it's not something you acquire through hard work and training. It's instinctive. Some players just know how to get themselves free. He doesn't.

Never going to be a top striker...or even our answer in the short term.

Putting a hard working shift in against a team like Chelsea who pin us back is one thing, playing most other teams where we need a forward who can drag defenders out of position and make runs between them and off their shoulder and get into the box is quite another. More often than not against most opposition we have to try and take the game to, DCL ends up running channels because he cant lose a defender. His ability to create space is not what it should be. Some will say he's 22 and needs time. For me, if you haven't got it at that stage it's not something you acquire through hard work and training. It's instinctive. Some players just know how to get themselves free. He doesn't.

Never going to be a top striker...or even our answer in the short term.

Thought I told you to get out of my thread x

Young striker improving with experience and game time. Who'd have thought it eh?:)

Seriously though, it's great to see the number of positive comments in here compared with even just a few weeks ago. Just a word of caution though, he is still a very young player by Premier standards, and in theory won't reach his prime for a further 3 or 4 years. Although he has had a decent run of form over the last 4/5 games, he still has lot's to improve, will continue to make mistakes and will undoubtedly go through another poor spell and probably quite soon. When this happens you can guarantee the usual suspects will be back on the case complete with sickle in hand, and half of those praising him now will have turned. You only have to look at Pickford thread for evidence of that.

Calls for him to lead the line next season are, for me, premature. If we want to seriously start closing the gap on the top 6 we need to bring in a proven striker who can give us the goals and consistency that we need. Dominic is doing great. He has improved a lot since we bought him, and if he continues that rate of improvement we'll have a talent on our hands in 2/3 years. For the moment, he is the best we have and I just hope that he can keep up his current form so we don't have a reason to turn on him again. But from next season he needs to continue his development as our first choice back up striker.

Doesn’t work like that tho , biases and nick chadwick had better goals to minutes than that and they’re tang

I have no idea of the correlation or who a biases is.

Chadwick? Clutching at straws here...what an odd comparison

He needs to play. Once again this season he statistically proves he is 1 in 3 type of a striker once he gets minutes and is still improving a lot. No reason to buy any other striker before we fix other parts of our squad.

He needs to play. Once again this season he statistically proves he is 1 in 3 type of a striker once he gets minutes and is still improving a lot. No reason to buy any other striker before we fix other parts of our squad.
We definitely need another striker mate, with a bigger goal threat, but we also need to keep DCL as well. Just bin Niasse and Tosun. A 20 a season striker and a box to box midfielder should be our priorities for next season. The dynamics of the team would see a huge change.

Status
Not open for further replies.