Does the U23 System Work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha you blame unsworth for the way the u23 system is set up.
And then have the cheek to name 2 players from a whole 20 other clubs that play fairly regularly for their 1st time. Wise up
Davies DCL Kenny only played regularly for us due to our hopelessly disfunctional transfer strategy. None of them are even close to good enough and miles behind previous Academy graduates like Barkley.

Haha you blame unsworth for the way the u23 system is set up.
And then have the cheek to name 2 players from a whole 20 other clubs that play fairly regularly for their 1st time. Wise up
Unsworth is in control of the under23's last time i checked and has been for the last few years so has been a huge part of their development. I mentioned 4 players not 2 as you suggested and could mention a whole lot more if you want, also i was not the first person to mention Unsworth yet you jumped on me for some reason? I just don't think our youngsters are very good and he is the the under23's manager, thats my view, that's what a forum is about so cut the 'wise up' bs please

Ultimately the best system is probably the Spain system of reserve teams being allowed as high as the second division but I personally think that's awful for lower league football and in England would open a whole new way for the money teams to separate themselves. But for youth development it's perfect. Open age, reasonably high level and parent clubs have total control
If I looked at it purely through Evertonian eyes, I like the idea of taking some form of control over a lesser foreign club and placing our promising young players there. This would allow them to get experience of a different style of play as well as properly competitive football. It could also allow us to bring through personnel at other levels too, such as coaching. But it would be prohibitively expensive for us and is uncomfortably 'elitist' for me as well.
The simplest and most effective solution would be to reinstate the Central League.

Unsworth is in control of the under23's last time i checked and has been for the last few years so has been a huge part of their development. I mentioned 4 players not 2 as you suggested and could mention a whole lot more if you want, also i was not the first person to mention Unsworth yet you jumped on me for some reason? I just don't think our youngsters are very good and he is the the under23's manager, thats my view, that's what a forum is about so cut the 'wise up' bs please

You're blaming unsworth for the way the league is set up.
Only 2 Arnold and Rashford came through their clubs and play regularly. Gomez came from Charlton and Woodburn?! Wtf did you mention him for! lol

If I looked at it purely through Evertonian eyes, I like the idea of taking some form of control over a lesser foreign club and placing our promising young players there. This would allow them to get experience of a different style of play as well as properly competitive football. It could also allow us to bring through personnel at other levels to such as coaching. But it would be prohibitively expensive for us and is uncomfortably 'elitist' for me as well.
The simplest and most effective solution would be to reinstate the Central League.
It really isn't that expensive to basically have the players who are already at the club who aren't going to be apart of the first team to form a second squad that plays in say League 2. The big problem is all the top clubs would have teams like this and it would ruin lower league football and I believe it would really benefit teams with more money just increasing that gap

Name one big club that gives regular minutes to more than 2/3 academy kids?

Everton is regularly top of those lists of teams that give most minutes to u21 and academy graduates, and plenty of our current kids are part of the national setup. I agree we keep hold of some players too long (Pennington) but otherwise think the setup is very good considering PL2/academy rules

Back in the good old days we had -A youth team - Everton A team - Everton B team - The Reserves {Who played at Goodison when the first team was away, also pre season the first team would play the reserves in a pre season game the reserves played in a in a white kit.}
The cost of that now would not be that great and it served us with some great home grown and cheap tranfered players!
The prem don't want to know unfortunately.....
My early days at Goodison were watching the youth team that went on to win that trophy with some great gates for a cold midweek game!

Of all the leagues PL clubs put teams out in the under 23 is probably the least respected or indeed relevant

Young players need to play and at youth level there is a lot of completion and quality but once a player gets to say age 19 they enter seniors football and whilst it’s nice to win the U23 league it really isn’t physical enough or come to that competitive enough to test young players in men’s football.

It's not working for us anyway. I don't rate Unsworth as a coach at all. He was given lots of money to beef up his ranks with talented kids. Yet not one of his guys has came into the first team and done anything of note. Davies had a great first 3 months. That's all we've seen.

The most striking issue I see is that none of our youngsters have any ability or composure on the ball in tight spaces. And that's before we even consider the apparent lack of belief/conviction/hunger we see from our kids. I'm not quite sure which of those it is. Probably a combination.

I think we need a completely new coaching set up from u16s right up to 23s.

Of all the leagues PL clubs put teams out in the under 23 is probably the least respected or indeed relevant

Young players need to play and at youth level there is a lot of completion and quality but once a player gets to say age 19 they enter seniors football and whilst it’s nice to win the U23 league it really isn’t physical enough or come to that competitive enough to test young players in men’s football.
Even semi professional clubs have reserves and a youth team set up in a league.......

Back in the good old days we had -A youth team - Everton A team - Everton B team - The Reserves {Who played at Goodison when the first team was away, also pre season the first team would play the reserves in a pre season game the reserves played in a in a white kit.}
The cost of that now would not be that great and it served us with some great home grown and cheap tranfered players!
The prem don't want to know unfortunately.....
My early days at Goodison were watching the youth team that went on to win that trophy with some great gates for a cold midweek game!
I think that system was far better.
I also think that clubs themselves are dissatisfied with the U23 system.
I think failing any other solution we will return to a system which resembles the one you illustrated and which I also remember.
A case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Might work better if we had a better manager.

Unsy blows smoke up their arses which leaves us with pampered lil bishes with no fight in them.

Im sure Brands will fix this soon.

the reason we have so many good youngsters is the reason why our squad seems so big tbh, and that has been very prudent over the last couple of years, so it probably can be viewed as a success.

I mean, if we take out hewelt, kenny, holgate, robinson, penninton, browning, galloway, connolly, baningime, davies, vlasic, dowell, lookman, richarlison, sandro, onyekuru and calvert-lewin
our squad doesn't seem anywhere near as bloated as we think (only leaves 18 plus garbutt). With most being english as well, it means we never have to worry about wasting money on squad fillers AND paying an english premium just to fulfill the home grown quota. I believe we are streets ahead of any other premier league club in this aspect, so as all of this has happened since the U23 system was brought in, it's been a massive success for us.

i agree with what @Sona has said, i mean it is a massive jump from the u19's to playing against premier league players trying to regain fitness and 23 year olds, there should probably a better bridge imo. I mean england have an u20's and there's an u20 world cup, but no u20's domestic league.

It's no guarantee players will improve playing against older men, it could on the flip side shatter their confidence.

Some clueless numpties on this thread, no Premier league clubs produce Premier league players on a regular basis anymore. Just look at England team, mainly produced by championship and league 1 clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.