Does our position flatter us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's certainly no need to over react after today. Today's result was however quite predictable I felt all things considered and a little worrying that we did very little to mix it up second half especially. They looked better and quicker than us all over the pitch. Next weekend will tell us more though I feel about longer term prospects this season.
The crazy thing is, it genuinely looks like the title could be open to anyone who can string together some consistency this season and everyone looks to have vulnerabilities...

No it doesn't and I firmly believe we can challenge for top six. We badly need a new Gk and a back up striker in January. Next summer we got to get a new right back and improve squad depth if we want to go up a level and challenge for top four. Top seven and a cup semis would be a good season

Not really, I think all the results were fair game we played some good stuff in the previous games, Today not a single one showed up don't think we need to overreact and analyze the obvious problems on why we lost because it stands out already, Today a team wanted it more than us and they played us off the park nothing else to say tbh.

Fully fit squad and on top of their game, we can have a go at anyone in this league. Injuries to our first 11-13 or a few of them having a bit of an off day and we'll struggle against anyone in this league.

Never expected us to be top 6 this season. We got a solid base, we don't have a solid squad yet. Will take a few more windows to get to that point.

Not really, I think all the results were fair game we played some good stuff in the previous games, Today not a single one showed up don't think we need to overreact and analyze the obvious problems on why we lost because it stands out already, Today a team wanted it more than us and they played us off the park nothing else to say tbh.

Yep. Happens.

Everything just clicked for Southampton, and fair dos to them.

On todays performance, we are not the best team in the league. On the body of work, so far, we aint too shabby mind. And the boss would have learnt a LOT about players he may have been in two minds about till today.

Just thinking about our start to the season, have we used up all our luck in the opening fixtures and are we at the start of the decline?

Spurs we caught off guard when they looked sluggish.

We were looking poor and like we'd be in trouble against West Brom and were helped by the sending off.

Very lucky to get a pen against Palace and lucky to escape with a point against Liverpool.

We could easily be sat on 3-5 points and it feels like the result today was coming when we're now on a run of games that we should be picking up decent points on.

I guess time will tell but it just felt a bit predictable today.

we played bad, our 2 best players had international duty, Richy was suspended and we were on the road against a good club. Soton were rested and would taken points against the RS today (who were sluggish as well). Siggy sucked but he's been admittedly decent off the bench, where he would usually be.

We'll be fine if we stay healthy.

Just thinking about our start to the season, have we used up all our luck in the opening fixtures and are we at the start of the decline?

Spurs we caught off guard when they looked sluggish.

We were looking poor and like we'd be in trouble against West Brom and were helped by the sending off.

Very lucky to get a pen against Palace and lucky to escape with a point against Liverpool.

We could easily be sat on 3-5 points and it feels like the result today was coming when we're now on a run of games that we should be picking up decent points on.

I guess time will tell but it just felt a bit predictable today.

You can apply if's, what's and but's to every single team, for every single game.
The undeniable fact is we are top because we have taken 13 points from 6 games and have a better goal difference than Liverpool. No other team has managed to do it, ergo at the moment we are top on merit.
Will we continue picking up points at that rate? Highly unlikely. It's also unlikely however that many other teams will.
Before the season started, would you have taken 13 points from the first half dozen games? Damn right you would.
After the first 15 minutes of the Blackpool pre-season friendly most would have gladly taken 6 points from those 6 games.
Qualifying for Europe must still be the aim. Anything above that is a bonus, but we have shown that we are well capable of earning that bonus. We know from experience that we are also capable of falling away badly.
Just buckle up and enjoy the ride. Que sera sera.

Think the new signings and tactical changes Ancelotti makes point to what is possible under him, but it's a longer term project for me. He's clearly getting a tune out of a few who have responded to him (DCL and Keane), but it looks like others just aren't going to or can't step up (Siggy, Iwobi etc). As such, the squad is a work in progress. 5th to 9th was always my expectation.

The performance looked a lot like those from last season so I don't think its a silly question, the signs have been there that this was coming, I just hope it's a temporary blip and individual player performances improve.

But you're going to get different answers today then after Brighton... When we were also top because everyone's angry and peed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.