Does our position flatter us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is inevitable that we will have many games this season where we have three or four players out through injury or suspension. In all those games, the players who come in to cover, will not be good enough. We will have spells when we are losing, or at best, drawing games we should be winning, just like at Newscastle. Unless we can sort the situation out in the January transfer window, then this is the rest of the season. Our best team could keep us in the top 6 but it won't be playing every week.

The last two games come down to players being injured and suspended, culminating in yesterday where 4 maybe 5 most important players were out...

I think this season is going to be one of sprints and stumbles.
When we are at full strength, we can get a good result in any game, and produce a bit of a run. As we have already.
But, as soon as the core of our talent is missing, we revert back to the lethargic, clueless, slow witted team we saw displayed yesterday.
The only way to counter this is to improve our squad's pool of talent, but that is unlikely to change until a couple or three windows down the road.
Our final position in this league will be based on the stumbles vs sprints.

Our position does flatter us. When everyone is fit we're getting near to top four material but football is not like that over a season and it's clear our peripheral players are just not good enough to fill in for injury/suspension to top men.

We'll be in proud possession of seventh place once again is my expectation for this campaign.

2 strong moves woul have us in strong contention for a CL spot

Isco
And a creative wing player

Obviously isco has to get his act together and the wing player can allow us to have formation switches as well as cover both Richy and James if they are not available.

RB is truly another need but i don't see us making 3 moves. We just gotto pray that Coleman at his age can hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.