Does our position flatter us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking about our start to the season, have we used up all our luck in the opening fixtures and are we at the start of the decline?

Spurs we caught off guard when they looked sluggish.

We were looking poor and like we'd be in trouble against West Brom and were helped by the sending off.

Very lucky to get a pen against Palace and lucky to escape with a point against Liverpool.

We could easily be sat on 3-5 points and it feels like the result today was coming when we're now on a run of games that we should be picking up decent points on.

I guess time will tell but it just felt a bit predictable today.

I only saw the first half and not having seen any match yet this season was immediately struck by how similar it looked to last with DCL totally isolated, passes being picked off and a defence all over the shop.

League leaders? You’re having a laugh

Come on, we've been the best team in the league this season, everyone has had a poor game along the way hence why nobody is unbeaten, bit silly to ask the question coming off the back of our wost performance of the season.

There's a team level with us who conceded 7 in one game, our position definitely doesn't flatter us, we've got unlucky with w host of injuries and now a media agenda to make us look bad re disciplinary.

I only saw the first half and not having seen any match yet this season was immediately struck by how similar it looked to last with DCL totally isolated, passes being picked off and a defence all over the shop.

League leaders? You’re having a laugh

I'll be honest I saw Godfrey at right back and Gylfi and Iwobi starting and was pretty concerned, those concerns sadly weren't unfounded after seeing how poor we were.

I'm not sure what Ancelotti sees in Iwobi but he's terrible, I'm not sure how many more inept performances he needs to put in to demonstrate that. I have faith in Ancelotti to get things right long term but he's shown with some of those selections today that he's not flawless.

I've never thought we were going to finish any higher than 7th. I've loved our start - and maybe we can build on it - but we've basically added James and two good players to a mediocre mid-table side. The magic James brings will give us some great days, but you're not breaking into the top 4 if you're asking the likes of Iwobi, Gomes, and Delph to stand up and be counted and hoping that your two strikers stay fit and available for the season.

We have zero depth. It's squads that finish top four - and teams that win the occasional match on any given day. We're the latter.

DCL has been a revelation this season, but how many of last season's side have kicked on this? Only Michael Keane, I would say. We had four new signings in today's side. All had off days for various reasons. Of the other five who played today, our goalkeeper is a controversialist who concedes two goals a game (for reasons that aren't entirely his own doing), Digne got himself sent off (to add to Richarlison last week), Mina is up and down, Iwobi is powder puff, and Gylfi is in obvious decline.

We have little to come off the bench.

This is not a top six squad, let alone a top four one. We'll have some good days, but the "evolution" needs to continue in January and again next summer if we want to genuinely develop.

We've collected the points we have collected, not up to us that others haven't during that time. We need to get over the habit where we have games that we don't perform at all though. Annoying. I think the RS have passed on the 'rona.

We missed Richarlison and Coleman big time today. Coleman, for all his detractors, has been boss this season so far and with JJK injured today Godfrey was always onto a loser unfortunately. If you take a couple of key players out of most teams in the league they won’t be as good, that was us today.

bit silly to ask the question coming off the back of our wost performance of the season.

The performance looked a lot like those from last season so I don't think its a silly question, the signs have been there that this was coming, I just hope it's a temporary blip and individual player performances improve.

Was always going to come down to injuries and suspensions. The teams that tend to do well either are well stocked with options or keep everyone fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.