Does Moyes' reign look better with hindsight given the dismal performances of his successors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly Moyes was handpicked by Sir Alex Ferguson as his successor at Man U..
Thereafter Moyes was let down by that pillock Woodward who was their CEO if I remember correctly.
Now love him or loathe him , I think Sir Alex knows a bit more about football than most of us.
Davie was great for us , and some of the disparagement of his work , is in my view , frankly embarrassing.

Moyes did a good job but in the end the football was stale and boring. The way he set up against the top six especially away from home was embarrassing. It was time to freshen things up and Manchester United coming in for him was a bonus

But the question is: with the benefit of hindsight, was his "negativity" justified?

Martinez stopped being stale and boring and definitely freshened things up. But 2014-15 and beyond have been the cost of 2013-14. Whereas under Moyes there would have been no such decline.

A lot of people say he bottled the 2009 FA Cup, but we had the spine of our team injured for the final.... Jagielka crippled against City week after the semi, that [Poor language removed] Nolan done Arteta earlier on in the season, Yakubu was on fire till he done his knee... we did exceptionally well to get to the final imo. If Saha buries that header, Howard holds Lampards shot who knows?
He did a good job overall

I am still hurting from the way he approached that Cup Final. Even allowing for the injuries we should have had a go. By sitting back on the early lead there was only going to be one result.

Ah well I suppose he steadied us but we were never going to win anything.

Moyes will divide opinion amongst the fan base because we wanted more than ultimately he could deliver. His tenure saw different phases under his stewardship.

We were sleepwalking once more to relegation under Smith and a fiasco at Board Level. We mortgaged the club to the hilt to give Smith funds that allowed Collins, Dacourt, Materazzi , Bakayoko, Simonsen to arrive. By the end after that dismal exit at Boro in the Cup we were bankrupt on and off the field.

Enter Moyes...punted the deadwood like Gascogne in week one of arrival and steered us to safety. He bought astutely - Martin, Kilbane - but I remember faced near mutiny at the end of one campaign unless he changed his approach. Humiliated at City, lost pretty much every game at the end of the 2004 season as the players downed tools.

We’d finished 17th, Rooney wanted out after the Euro’s and It wasn’t a happy camp. Despite limited funds, that second period 04/05 to 09!10 saw him at his best in the Everton dugout. We had some side, make no mistake about it. Craft, guile, skill and an identity about our play. But always came up short...,unlucky at El Madrigal and a few decent cup runs and a win on pens v a United Reserve side at Wembley took him to arguably his pinnacle. Should have been three if I remember that final, Lampard hit one that bounced back in play from the Premier Inn behind the goal and via the net.

After that, for me he believed his own hype. He was no longer an employee he was Everton and I blame the board for that. Would he have let a player run his contract down to see what offers came in? So how did Kenwright let him do that. I’ll never forgive him for his surrender at Anfield midweek because we had Sunderland in the Cup on the Saturday (we drew that game as well).

In the end, he was too scared of a loss - we were happy to draw and not lose - eleven men back for every corner showed no ambition when you are 1 up at home V Botyom of the league. His away record was astonishing. How could you fail to win so often? That under dog mentality went through the team that they didn’t think they deserved to win on occasion.

I wish him no ill, he did well for a period, but I was glad he went in the end. Regrets? They will be his, not ours. We’ve moved on.

I remember him being a breath of fresh air following Smith and always thought we'd put up some resistance in the Prem. By the end of his reign the football was better too and I could half understand United going for him. We would probably be in better shape now if he had stayed but probably desperate for change.

That said, we were really bad in some of the European games against modest sides. He had a clear underdog mentality which would only get us so far and wouldn't gamble to win.

So you’re supporting your point by using 2 managers who died either 14 years ago or 30 years ago and a manager who retired 4 years ago after being appointed 30 years ago. Yeah, it’s a wonder people don’t think about how useful for the modern game British managers are
I’m talking about the manager vs director of football model. The player power is out of control and I would prefer a return to the manager being the most powerful person at a club.

I’m talking about the manager vs director of football model. The player power is out of control and I would prefer a return to the manager being the most powerful person at a club.

I see no suggestion those two things are directly related. Or, really, why people have a problem with the workers having power

If you could add a dash of Martinez positivity and charm to the basic Moyes formula we'd have genuinely had a phenomenal manager.

Wonder if it's possibly to genetically modify dour Scottish managers with sexy Spaniard essence?

It would involve sex between the two nations. In unnatural selection. Impossible to find any candidates from the Spanish side. We can dream though.

He's derby record looks glorious by comparison right now. Considering they were champleague winners and we hadn't a pot to urinate in.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly Moyes was handpicked by Sir Alex Ferguson as his successor at Man U..
Thereafter Moyes was let down by that pillock Woodward who was their CEO if I remember correctly.
Now love him or loathe him , I think Sir Alex knows a bit more about football than most of us.
Davie was great for us , and some of the disparagement of his work , is in my view , frankly embarrassing.

Its called judging as you find as opposed to your 20 / 20 revisionism
Given that everybody has pluses and minuses and he did have
cash constraints, overall when he had a decent squad(s)...and he did, he would always err on the side of caution, KITAP1, knives to gun fights, theres no such thing as a bad draw, etc
So, IMO,
All Martinez had to do was let off the hand brake a bit and press the accelerator slightly...he just didn't - or more likely wouldn't, take his foot off the pedal

As a result, we're still searching for 'The Goldilocks Option' -
Not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez.
Even that is out of date now as the game has moved on
Moyes was average, the odd season that got you 4th, sometimes 11th, or a number in between.

He's derby record looks glorious by comparison right now. Considering they were champleague winners and we hadn't a pot to urinate in.

Finished ahead of Liverpool once when they were CL champions and twice when they had Suarez in their team. Finished ahead of them 3 times in 11 seasons, actually put them out of a cup over 2 legs, and the last Everton manager to win a derby. No Everton manager has even laid a glove on them since.

Most important Everton manager in our premier league history. Imagine we’d appointed a lesser manager in those moments when Kenwright was following a sell to loan transfer policy. We’d have been relegated (like every other club outside the top 6 has been) and we’d probably have gone into liquidation such was the perilous state of our finances.

Moshiri, Bromley Moore, Brands, Silva, none of that happens without the work Moyes did getting Europe on a budget that would relegate most teams. But yeah feel free to have a pop at him because he lost a cup final to a Chelsea side who bullied Barcelona over 2 legs and he was without his three best players. Yeah never mind saving the long term future of the club Davey, not arsed about that, warrabout that one game though. Fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.