Does Moyes' reign look better with hindsight given the dismal performances of his successors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could add a dash of Martinez positivity and charm to the basic Moyes formula we'd have genuinely had a phenomenal manager.

Wonder if it's possibly to genetically modify dour Scottish managers with sexy Spaniard essence?

That's football though. It happens at every club! Why do we keep thinking we are a special case?

Niasse shouldn't be on that list by the way... but that is another topic for another time!

Mentioned niasse becuase was hardly used by bobby and koeman

Genuinely would like him back. He just 'got us' and had us competitive, not the embarrassment we've been since he's left.
I’m not sure I want him back but I enjoyed his reign. We played better football than people now give him credit for. Piennar and arteta were lovely footballers, we played advanced full backs. It was hardly the hoof ball that is referred to. Why are people obsessed with his away record against the top 4? We were often v competitive at home against these sides. Except for Arsenal of course.

Genuinely would like him back. He just 'got us' and had us competitive, not the embarrassment we've been since he's left.
Yeah he 'got us' no trophies.He did well at the time for us in an extremely tough situation but he is not a winner.
Thats what we need now we are in a much better financial positioning (except for the squad size and huge wage bill issue which will hopefully be sorted by clearing out a few donkeys)

Yeah he 'got us' no trophies.He did well at the time for us in an extremely tough situation but he is not a winner.
Thats what we need now we are in a much better financial positioning (except for the squad size and huge wage bill issue which will hopefully be sorted by clearing out a few donkeys)

We're really not. It's all smoke and mirrors with Moshiri. He's a crook.

How did he get us?

We were not "competing" for anything. If getting Everton is finishing somewhere between 5th and 8th then I don't think I want to get us.

He got us at first maybe.

I reckon I would jib it off if he came back.

...but he left anyway.
Ran down his contract too so we didn't get any compensation from United.

I think the majority of the fans (me included) felt he had taken us as far as he could and were ready for a change of manager anyway, so he didn't take any stick for this. But imagine the abuse any of our favoured players would get if they did the same thing.

If you could add a dash of Martinez positivity and charm to the basic Moyes formula we'd have genuinely had a phenomenal manager.

Wonder if it's possibly to genetically modify dour Scottish managers with sexy Spaniard essence?

I suspect we had exactly what you describe in Martinez' first season, the subsequent seasons were a truer representation of his philosophy.......we were too nice and forgot how to defend and we have suffered as a result of that ever since.

I think Moyes tenure grew stale through lack of investment, but his true mercenary nature came through loud and clear when he was given the United job, where he made a complete arse of himself and burnt his bridges with us. He got what he deserved but was probably a better manager than the others here until Silva.

I actually think if Moist had of stayed on up until now we'd be in a much better position. If he had the funds bobby and moonhead were given he would have won us something.

In many ways I appreciate what Moyes did in terms of making us relatively competitive, especially in comparison to large swathes of the 90s and the Smith Era. Can't say for sure he'd have fared better with a richer owner. My sense is he thrived by having total control and creating a bit of a family in a bunker aura around the squad. Right team for him at the time. He's not been able to do that anywhere else subsequently. In many ways he had limitations, but he did a decent job for us overall.

But, he ain't our Brian Clough though is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.