Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I am struggling a wee bit.

Few weeks back was told part of my heart isn't performing as well as it should and its not really repairable.

It wasn't that much of a shock as I was born with heart issues and have congenital defects.

But since being told that I have been down, anxious and a bit unsocial. I have also started developing some symptoms I. E shortness of breath physically that I was told may occur as a result of this issue.

Having trouble sleeping too.

This despite never having a symptom prior to being told. I am convinced that its the anxiety causing it as the breathing becomes easier as I relax more.

Not really sure where to go with it. Am already on low dose of citalopram for health anxiety.

Discuss this with the Doctor who`s looking after you mate and they may want to " tweak " your citalopram for a bit until you come to term with the news.

I`m not an expert mate, but I reckon that what you`re experiencing is directly linked to your recent prognosis and will be quite common amongst people with conditions such as yours.

Are there any forums for people with your condition mate, as communicating with others in your situation may help allay some of the fears that are causing your anxiety and they may be able to offer practical advice too.

I just went to my first career coaching session. I'm trying to get out of a career I've hated every minute of for 15 years that has left me stressed, burned out and miserable. Unfortunately, I've tried and failed at all the stuff I dreamed of doing and have no idea what to do next... Hence calling the professionals.

It took 2 weeks to sort the admin and there was a 7 week wait for the appointment. Every morning I up at 6am to cycle an hour to a job I hate and I've been using the start of this process as a source of some hope.

I get a text from the coach woman 20 minutes before the start... Her car has broken down. Not going to make it very sorry. Here's another date in 6 weeks. The whole thing just came crashing down on me... How much I hate going there, hate the work and how much I want to do something else but how cynical I am about ever enjoying a job (I never really fit the corporate world). How the hell do I get through the next 6 weeks?

I just went to my first career coaching session. I'm trying to get out of a career I've hated every minute of for 15 years that has left me stressed, burned out and miserable. Unfortunately, I've tried and failed at all the stuff I dreamed of doing and have no idea what to do next... Hence calling the professionals.

It took 2 weeks to sort the admin and there was a 7 week wait for the appointment. Every morning I up at 6am to cycle an hour to a job I hate and I've been using the start of this process as a source of some hope.

I get a text from the coach woman 20 minutes before the start... Her car has broken down. Not going to make it very sorry. Here's another date in 6 weeks. The whole thing just came crashing down on me... How much I hate going there, hate the work and how much I want to do something else but how cynical I am about ever enjoying a job (I never really fit the corporate world). How the hell do I get through the next 6 weeks?

Do you have any leave or time owing, so that you could pad the six week wait out ?

Bummer.

Go sick ?

Seems unfair on my colleagues... I'll have to get through it. It's going to take me a few months to get anywhere near something totally different. I've been at it for 15 years now... a few more weeks won't kill me.

It's just the feeling of having my hope taken away when I was trying to do something consructive and it took so long to sort out.

I am struggling a wee bit.

Few weeks back was told part of my heart isn't performing as well as it should and its not really repairable.

It wasn't that much of a shock as I was born with heart issues and have congenital defects.

But since being told that I have been down, anxious and a bit unsocial. I have also started developing some symptoms I. E shortness of breath physically that I was told may occur as a result of this issue.

Having trouble sleeping too.

This despite never having a symptom prior to being told. I am convinced that its the anxiety causing it as the breathing becomes easier as I relax more.

Not really sure where to go with it. Am already on low dose of citalopram for health anxiety.

Just to echo @cronullasharks mate, anxiety can worsen existing conditions and even mimic conditions that don't even exist. Can you get some reassurance from your doctor? Have you tried occupying your mind with things you enjoy doing so you're not focused on the health problem?

Seems unfair on my colleagues... I'll have to get through it. It's going to take me a few months to get anywhere near something totally different. I've been at it for 15 years now... a few more weeks won't kill me.

It's just the feeling of having my hope taken away when I was trying to do something consructive and it took so long to sort out.
Have you heard of a book called What Colour is my Parachute? It's very good. I shelled out a load of cash for career coaching last year. Then read that book. Only a small difference between the two, that being with a coach you have someone to bounce your ideas off, but you can get a lot done just by working through that book. Costs less than a 10er IIRC.

Have you heard of a book called What Colour is my Parachute? It's very good. I shelled out a load of cash for career coaching last year. Then read that book. Only a small difference between the two, that being with a coach you have someone to bounce your ideas off, but you can get a lot done just by working through that book. Costs less than a 10er IIRC.

I went through that book last year. Its great but led me to the conclusion that I should be a writer, so I put all my effort into coming up with ideas, pitching them, selling them, writing them and invoicing them.

I was *this* close to a deal for a second book as well but it didn't pan out and I had to go back to the office. In conclusion, I dont know what to do with the rest of my life but it can't be this.

I went through that book last year. Its great but led me to the conclusion that I should be a writer, so I put all my effort into coming up with ideas, pitching them, selling them, writing them and invoicing them.

I was *this* close to a deal for a second book as well but it didn't pan out and I had to go back to the office. In conclusion, I dont know what to do with the rest of my life but it can't be this.
Bummer. Do you get to use your writing skills in your current job?

I've got a mate who's a journalist and he's constantly worried about losing his job. He says he'd have to go into advertising or PR if it gets too difficult finding work in journalism.

I've written about the pressures on paid for writing in the Athletic thread. I'm not bitter about it, it is what it is. But banging your head against the wall to pull in less than minimum wage every month is a slog. You get some good days, but I can't live off it so need to find something I can put up with for a while at least.

I interviewed at an ad agency last year but it just felt icky. The world is noisy enough and would I really feel any better if I was writing trash to sell crap? Also I hate all that fake-zany nonsense those places use to cover up the fact they're as evil as any other big industry.

BTW It's this kind of thinking that leads me to think I'm probably just not built for a 'normal' job .

Last edited:
I've written about the pressures on paid for writing in the Athletic thread. I'm not bitter about it, it is what it is. But banging your head against the wall to pull in less than minimum wage every month is a slog. You get some good days, but I can't live off it so need to find something I can put up with for a while at least.

I interviewed at an ad agency last year but it just felt icky. The world is noisy enough and would I really feel any better if I was writing trash to sell crap? Also I hate all that fake-zany nonsense those places use to cover up the fact their as evil as any other big industry.

BTW It's this kind of thinking that leads me to think I'm probably just not built for a 'normal' job .

Normal jobs are dull anyway. I'm sure there's plenty out there to be discovered mate. I imagine being skilled as a writer might give some degree of flexibility, e.g. working remotely, freelance etc