Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I went through that book last year. Its great but led me to the conclusion that I should be a writer, so I put all my effort into coming up with ideas, pitching them, selling them, writing them and invoicing them.

I was *this* close to a deal for a second book as well but it didn't pan out and I had to go back to the office. In conclusion, I dont know what to do with the rest of my life but it can't be this.

What was the book idea? Could it be worth going to another publisher, even in a nearby country if needs be?

I'm actually in the middle of changing jobs too. I've worked my balls off to establish a psychotherapy clinic for the past four years but it hasn't worked out with the other clinic directors. I'm at the stage of moving on and starting again. It's different than your situation obviously, but job uncertainty is terrifying.

What was the book idea? Could it be worth going to another publisher, even in a nearby country if needs be?

I'm actually in the middle of changing jobs too. I've worked my balls off to establish a psychotherapy clinic for the past four years but it hasn't worked out with the other clinic directors. I'm at the stage of moving on and starting again. It's different than your situation obviously, but job uncertainty is terrifying.

The book was a biography of one of the greats of cycling who never had a book written about him in english before... I had the guy on board and some chapters to sell it...

The way publishing works is you need to convince an agent with your chapter plan, samples and proposal then they go to publishers who may be interested. I had 2 or 3 into it but they couldn't convince their bosses it would make a profit.

I actually had another concept I was more into but when I pitched that I found out that some utter arse who I've crossed swords with a couple of times has the same concept coming out next year.

The book was a biography of one of the greats of cycling who never had a book written about him in english before... I had the guy on board and some chapters to sell it...

The way publishing works is you need to convince an agent with your chapter plan, samples and proposal then they go to publishers who may be interested. I had 2 or 3 into it but they couldn't convince their bosses it would make a profit.

I actually had another concept I was more into but when I pitched that I found out that some utter arse who I've crossed swords with a couple of times has the same concept coming out next year.
You know you can self publish on Amazon and charge a fee of your own choice for people to rent or buy your writing, if it's good enough and people buy it then you have proof for agents and book company's that people enjoy your work, making future pitches easier. https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US?ref_=kdpgp_p_uk_psg_kw_ad60

Last edited:
You know you can publish on Amazon and charge a small fee for people to rent or buy your writing, if it's good enough and people buy it then you have proof for agents and book company's that people enjoy your work.

I've looked into that, but I'm not sure it's for me. For one, I need the time and space to work on a project full time. My first book was 6 months of total concentration. I couldn't have done it without the advance.

I've asked some other guys who do that about their experience and it seems they spend most of their time plugging on social media and coming up with offers... it looks like it works well for episodic stuff, crime fiction does very well on there, but I can't find any stand alone non fiction that has sold.

The royalty rate is very good, though

Hey Fellas.

well, I had a date today. met up with a girl i met on POF. We have been whatsapping for about 10 days. She asked if i want to meet up and i thought Frig it! So i did.She is awesome and again, i don't know how i do it but she is red hot! haha.

It went well even though she said she was 5'7" but when i got there she is about an inch taller than me (I'm a short 5'8") She is a tiny bit taller than me which is a bit crap but other than that she is smokin'!

Had lunch, went for a walk, it was totally casual. I knocked her bandy with my comedic charm. We sat in the car for a bit and she said she want's to meet up again in a few days.I'm not for one minute counting my chickens, i fully expect that i'll never see her again as i'm ultra negative but we shall see.

She's just my type, piercings, tattoos and all that. She's sound aswell.

Totally out of my comfort zone, feel like a short arse now too but i'm open minded. See how it goes etc. It's insanely early days. Nothing happened it was just lunch and a walk etc but, I expect the worse, hope for the best. Onwards and upwards

If she ignores me or tells me to do one i'll be ok with it i think. My confidence will take a knock but i'm at a place now where i don't think i'll take it personal. Some people either work or don't. It's all good

Last edited:
Hey Fellas.

well, I had a date today. met up with a girl i met on POF. We have been whatsapping for about 10 days. She asked if i want to meet up and i thought Frig it! So i did.She is awesome and again, i don't know how i do it but she is red hot! haha.

It went well even though she said she was 5'7" but when i got there she is about an inch taller than me (I'm a short 5'8") She is a tiny bit taller than me which is a bit crap but other than that she is smokin'!

Had lunch, went for a walk, it was totally casual. I knocked her bandy with my comedic charm. We sat in the car for a bit and she said she want's to meet up again in a few days.I'm not for one minute counting my chickens, i fully expect that i'll never see her again as i'm ultra negative but we shall see.

Totally out of my comfort zone, feel like a short arse now too but i'm open minded. See how it goes etc. It's insanely early days. Nothing happened it was just lunch and a walk etc but, I expect the worse, hope for the best. Onwards and upwards

If she ignores me or tells me to do one i'll be ok with it i think. My confidence will take a knock but i'm at a place now where i don't think i'll take it personal. Some people either work or don't. It's all good

The fact she said she’d like to see you again is a massive positive.

Well in mate.

Hey Fellas.

Well done mate, don't be negative, if you see her again great if not who cares? That's life. Just be free with it all.

Also, buy some Docs if you feel short.

The fact she said she’d like to see you again is a massive positive.

Well in mate.
Yeah, it was better than a no. I'll take another date!

Well done mate, don't be negative, if you see her again great if not who cares? That's life. Just be free with it all.

Also, buy some Docs if you feel short.
Exactly, I'll try my best to take it however it goes. Not the end of the world.

I've ordered some Cuban heels. A nice 1 inch lift will do me.

Hey Fellas.

Excellent mate. Pleased for you!

Excellent mate. Pleased for you!
Thanks mate. Took a fair bit of self encouragement to actually do it but i'm glad i did. Messaged her earlier and she said she defo wants to meet up this week. She is even going to drive the 25 minutes it takes to get to my part of the world. So, if she's willing to make that much effort i guess she does want to see me again!

(again though, not getting carried away but i do need a little bit of joy in my life)

Thanks mate. Took a fair bit of self encouragement to actually do it but i'm glad i did. Messaged her earlier and she said she defo wants to meet up this week. She is even going to drive the 25 minutes it takes to get to my part of the world. So, if she's willing to make that much effort i guess she does want to see me again!

(again though, not getting carried away but i do need a little bit of joy in my life)
Good stuff Mr D

Dark November nights always have an effect on me . Find it very hard to get motivated to do anything.
Haven't posted in a few months on this thread but can feel the low coming.
There is always someone on here to chat to mate. I struggle a lot a the moment getting used to being on my own again and bottle things up but I think its better to be open an honest really.
Can't you h
Get out to the pub with your mates? I've just joined a gym. I haven't got the bottle to walk into a pub by myself

There is always someone on here to chat to mate. I struggle a lot a the moment getting used to being on my own again and bottle things up but I think its better to be open an honest really.
Can't you h
Get out to the pub with your mates? I've just joined a gym. I haven't got the bottle to walk into a pub by myself
At times I am fine . Flying over for the norwich game next week.
But some times I prefer to be at home on my own and not meeting people. Was in a social event this evening and just wanted to get out of it.
Hard to explain lonely at home but not wanting company either .