Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

About 3 years ago I went through something similar without the side effects of the medication. I was fixated about how quickly time was passing and if the rest of my life passed as quickly then it wouldn't feel too long until I was on my death bed. Which in turn made me worry about death I ended up on anti depression meds. It only took one sentence from a psychiatric doctor and it was instantly like a switch was turned off, he said "if you spend your time worring about the future and death you'll still die but you won't have lived" he was right worring achieves nothing but lessons the quality of your life. This worked for me and I haven't looked back since. Another peice of advice I can give you without knowing you, is if you have Facebook snap chat and or Twitter get rid of them, they are an absolute disaster for mental health I deleted mine and couldn't be happier with my decision, I did use them too much and I did feel sad after using FB or Twitter for long periods of time. I don't know if you have accounts if you do suspend them for a week or 2 get out for a walk every day and while your walking just look at things just notice the tree the bin the post box, tell your friends that your taking a break and if they want to contact you use viber. If my suspensions are correct you'll feel better after a week.

Just got rid of Facebook after reading this post. It's such a bad influence. I don't know why I stuck with it for so long.

Good luck with it mate. I'm going through a vaguely similar if not exactly the same situation at the moment. I.e. the choice of staying in a well-paid job even though it's had me on the verge of burnout a few times over the last 1-2 years, or doing what I really want to do with my life which would likely mean a big pay cut and going back to uni for a year at the age of 38. Taking the money is winning so far but I'm making baby steps. Feel free to share if it turns out positive for you. I'm looking for other people's success stories to give me a push ;)
I went through the same situation I was on a good wage I'm Irish so I'm going to talk in euros I was pulling in almost €1000 a week some weeks with overtime more the 1000, but ya know what money counts for nothing if you don't have time with family and friends, I had a young son that I didn't see as much as I'd have liked, one day I decided that I'd had enough of it, I completed an online course in special needs assisting handed in notice in my old job and went to school's with cv and let them know I was available for substitute work, I started getting days here and there and with experience got more and more and now this year I've finally landed a permanent position in a school, the wages will increase with time but for now I'm about €520 a week worse off than my previous job but I couldn't be happier, now I get more paid holidays than I ever had when my son is at home from school so am I, most people just want to earn more and more but no matter how much you earn you can't buy back time with your children, I didn't want to be in a position where I regretted loosing this time.

Just got rid of Facebook after reading this post. It's such a bad influence. I don't know why I stuck with it for so long.
Good luck with it, I was the same hours lost that I'll never get back, I feel so much better without it, and I do really think that it led in part to my anxiety and worries of the past. Let me know how you're getting on after a week or 2 the first few days are most difficult I found myself trying to make excuses or looking for reasons to log back in again as they give you 2 weeks before its permanently gone, getting e mails from them saying your friends miss you, but I got through it and never again will I go back to it.

My dad is dying of cancer and withering away in front of me and my mother is in bits.
Just found out my brother is into drugs and gambling and he's at war with the family about it.
My best friend just cut me out of her life.
Drinking every night until I can sleep.
I'm on the edge of breaking down.....

The idea of counselling is never something I've considered, always been told to man up and deal with it but something is about to break.

Has anyone taken counselling and did it work?

My dad is dying of cancer and withering away in front of me and my mother is in bits.
Just found out my brother is into drugs and gambling and he's at war with the family about it.

The idea of counselling is never something I've considered, always been told to man up and deal with it but something is about to break.

I have and it did work, I didn't have the same severity of issues that you have but at least the idea of counselling is in your head somewhere or you wouldn't be asking, the whole man up logic is outdated and dangerous, talking about your problems is the first and most important steps, in my opinion if you have started drinking to get to sleep you need to go now or as soon as you can get an appointment.

Yes, counseling works if you take it seriously. The idea of "man up" is ridiculous when it comes to your mental health.

I watched my dad die a slow death over the course of 10 years due to a stroke so I can somewhat relate. The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to do everything possible to make your father's life as free from suffering as possible. Check in on him more often. Support your mom.

I had some counselling last year. It was a great help and has made a big difference to my life. The way I was viewing certain things was very distorted and counselling helped me to rectify that.

Telling someone who is suffering to 'man up' is very unhelpful in my opinion.

Have you spoken to your GP? That would be a good first step.

Keep posting in this thread. You'll find plenty of people who want to help.

The only thing is Facebook is the place where all the photos of my daughters are stored. I don't want to lose them but I don't want to go on Facebook anymore. It's just full of posers, fakes and filters.

The TOWIE/Love Island world we live in really is abhorrent.
You can save your photos it may take a little time to do depending on how many y here are, you could download Google photos and save them there also you can link it to your phone and any photo you take is automatically saved and easily sorted after.

Mrs R is having some as we speak, well not literally, but is on a course atm. Its utterly fantastic, and made an extremely unsettling, actually, terrifying is a better description, situation way more manageable and an end to her problem seems in reach.